Give Lamar Football a chance

Javelina

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="893455" timestamp="1288613625"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=75337.msg893276#msg893276 date=1288577028]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75337.msg893251#msg893251 date=1288575437]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=75337.msg893142#msg893142 date=1288566253]
[b]Gonna have to give Coach W some time and hit the road to find some good players[/b]. Not a coach or expert but have to give him some time.
[/quote]
I think we have plenty of talent in SETX...I would recruit here first...why not?
[/quote]

you seen the team?..a bunch of setex kids
[/quote]
I assisted in recruiting Marines for a month, I made sure they wanted to be there and I made sure I wanted them there.  I can only assume it's very similar @ Lamar...maybe there are some players that were a disappointment from the area( I guess that's what you're getting at)...I would have to say, you can get wayyy more for your player locally.  You can research the attitude and player's down falls thru teachers, peers, little league coaches etc...it's kinda expensive to do that out of the area..IMO
[/quote]

Actually, recruiting local players is a bonus for Lamar as they can give them partial scholarships and spread out the scholarship limits. Now, I don't think we should recruit a kid just because he is a local player. But, if he is good enough to play at the FCS level I'm all for loading up on SE Texas kids because besides being able to spread out the scholarships they will put butts in the seats at Provost Umphrey.

[quote name="wouldsmith" post="893447" timestamp="1288612895"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75337.msg893313#msg893313 date=1288579024]
[quote author=wouldsmith link=topic=75337.msg893187#msg893187 date=1288569419]
Lamar football program will be Just as it was 20 years ago.
[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree for several reasons. One, being Lamar just spent about $30 million on the new athletic complex, the suites, press box, turf, scoreboard and renovating Provost Umphrey Stadium. Two, football
is being 110% supported by the university administration and the athletic department. Three, this is our first year as a start-up program and we are all guilty of expecting too much too soon. Four, the students voted for the return of football by 78% and have a football fee added for each credit hour they are taking. Five, have you been to a home game yet? The tailgating and game day atmosphere has been great for every game and those spots were sold with a three year commitment.

Now, within the next three years Lamar needs to be competing for the SLC championship. So give the coaching staff some time as LU has the best facilities in the conference. This is a major recruiting advantage.

We will have the off season strength and conditioning program (Lamar has never had a strength and conditioning coach) and we have two coaches that is their job to get the returning players bigger, stronger and faster. Then add a couple recruiting classes to add depth and better athletes.

It is way too early to compare this current squad and those 20 years ago.
[/quote]

They can spend as much as They want....its all hype.  Just wait and see what the attendance is next year or two.  Then remember my words.....it'll be just like 20 years ago...minus 30 million dollars.  Haha
[/quote]

wouldsmith, Rome wasn't built in a day and this program won't either. It takes time to build a start-up program. As it is hard to recruit players when all the coaches had to show them of the facilities was pictures. Then there were no games for the athletes to experience the game day atmosphere.

Now, they can experience everything first hand and I hear the facilities are as good as FBS level programs but on a smaller scale.

You don't sound like or appear to be a Lamar University fan so this is my last post to convince you the program will never be dropped again and to have patience for success on the field as the team will get bigger, stronger and faster in the off season program. Then there is spring practice and any kids who Lamar recruits can enroll in the spring semester if eligible and can take part in spring practice.

Am I happy with the losing? No, I don't think anyone who is honest can tell you we are happy with losing and not appearing to getting better in certain areas of the team. However, most on here realize starting a football program is a process.

[quote name="bigred360" post="893660" timestamp="1288628864"]
[quote author=Nurse Jag link=topic=75337.msg893411#msg893411 date=1288587010]
You needed to bring up South Alabama why? You could have made your point without painting in a negative light a team that beat Lamar 26-0. South Alabama is doing just fine with our creampuff schedule and we don't have to lose 71-3, 38-10, 26-0, or 31-6 to be made a better team.

::)  ::)  ::)

:D  :D  :D
[/quote]

Sorry, from one nurse to another just look at the names on your schedule the first and second year your team took to the field in competition. I don't care what the method of starting their program at South Alabama is using with the NCAA. The Jaguars played 12 games together before playing Lamar who is a true first year start-up and had only played 6 games.

No excuse for losing and I did congratulate your program. But, to say you aren't in your second year is just a play on words. Heck, you guys have 12 seniors in your program so USA is older than Lamar too.  

Lamar is playing a much harder schedule and that is just a fact.

Congratulations on your victories and maybe you can keep it going next year.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? When did I say that South Alabama wasn't in its second year? When did I say that Lamar wasn't playing a much harder schedule? What I said was that Javelina could have made his point without  denigrating the schedule of football program that proved on the field that it is considerably better than Lamar.

What a difference a year will make.

A full eleven game schedule of College level play under your belt.
A full eleven games of getting to know who or what is playing next to you.
A years worth of College level conditioning.
A years worth of getting to know what is expected of you.
A years worth of getting to know your new surroundings.

Year two will be better.

Sorry, I thought you were directing your post to me. That said, I would hope a 2nd year program with 12 games of football played as a team and 12 seniors for leadership would be considerably better than a first year start-up with 1 senior.

Again, congratulations on your victories. Since we played USA a few weeks ago, why are you worried what someone on this forum post?

[quote name="Nurse Jag" post="893802" timestamp="1288635649"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75337.msg893660#msg893660 date=1288628864]
[quote author=Nurse Jag link=topic=75337.msg893411#msg893411 date=1288587010]
You needed to bring up South Alabama why? You could have made your point without painting in a negative light a team that beat Lamar 26-0. South Alabama is doing just fine with our creampuff schedule and we don't have to lose 71-3, 38-10, 26-0, or 31-6 to be made a better team.

::)  ::)  ::)

:D  :D  :D
[/quote]

Sorry, from one nurse to another just look at the names on your schedule the first and second year your team took to the field in competition. I don't care what the method of starting their program at South Alabama is using with the NCAA. The Jaguars played 12 games together before playing Lamar who is a true first year start-up and had only played 6 games.

No excuse for losing and I did congratulate your program. But, to say you aren't in your second year is just a play on words. Heck, you guys have 12 seniors in your program so USA is older than Lamar too.  

Lamar is playing a much harder schedule and that is just a fact.

Congratulations on your victories and maybe you can keep it going next year.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? When did I say that South Alabama wasn't in its second year? When did I say that Lamar wasn't playing a much harder schedule? What I said was that Javelina could have made his point without  denigrating the schedule of football program that proved on the field that it is considerably better than Lamar.

[/quote]

before the so. bammy game, i was chatting with some really great folks at so.bammy..nice, classy....WHERE did it go wrong for you nurse jag?

well, we have no offense, getting our butts smacked...[b]Lets all join hands and sing Kumbaya![/b]

I pay my taxes, am a season ticket holder, LU is a public school...Ray and company are employed by ME!

think Ray is happy?..earlier he said that LU fans were not expecting enuf!

That being said, I think I can rag our OC without being a "non-supporter"...I imagine i've been to more lamar football games than most on this board, and will continue to go till they are planting daisies on me.  And I stay til 0:00 always have, always will.

if you are happy being 2nd to last in FCS in rushing/game, 2nd most INT thrown, one of only two teams in the [i]nation[/i] playing NCAA football without a rushing TD (Tufts-div III the other), then good for you.  I'm all for a pass heavy offense...done right.

Me?  [u]we need an OC! [/u]  First one i think Tuberville took.  then we got Whitten.    :(

WE HAVE AN ENTIRE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD WE DONT WORK!

do I want wins? YOU BET
GO BIG RED

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="893202" timestamp="1288570791"]
As I've told you before - by the method they are using in-conjunction with NCAA rules/regulations, South Alabama's "first year" is officially next year... want to compare next year's slate to this year's?

Not sure about you guys - but playing two FBS teams (Mississippi State, NC State) plus a FBS-bound UTSA program, does not sound like a cupcake schedule...

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled South Alabama smack!
[/quote]

What an idiotic argument.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="893428" timestamp="1288597132"]
South Alabama also played that schedule because they're games don't count as DI wins. It's hard to get a school to play you if you're not counting towards their DI win column total. It's different for Lamar when it comes to FCS games like McNeese, SHSU, and SFA because we recruit in that area. We want to be able to play the Cardinals and show the local kids how much better our schools are, yada yada yada.

It's the same reason that all the FBS schools are lining up to play UTSA, who has never played a down of football, and it's because San Antonio is a recruiting hot bed.

[/quote]

So there weren't/aren't schools that play against South Alabama that would want to show kids they are better than them for recruiting purposes?  Weak argument

[quote name="bigred360" post="893689" timestamp="1288630278"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75337.msg893455#msg893455 date=1288613625]
[b]Gonna have to give Coach W some time and hit the road to find some good players[/b]. Not a coach or expert but have to give him some time.
[/quote]
I think we have plenty of talent in SETX...I would recruit here first...why not?
[/quote]

[/quote]
I assisted in recruiting Marines for a month, I made sure they wanted to be there and I made sure I wanted them there.  I can only assume it's very similar @ Lamar...maybe there are some players that were a disappointment from the area( I guess that's what you're getting at)...I would have to say, you can get wayyy more for your player locally.  You can research the attitude and player's down falls thru teachers, peers, little league coaches etc...it's kinda expensive to do that out of the area..IMO
[/quote]

Actually, recruiting local players is a bonus for Lamar as they can give them partial scholarships and spread out the scholarship limits. Now, I don't think we should recruit a kid just because he is a local player. But, if he is good enough to play at the FCS level I'm all for loading up on SE Texas kids because besides being able to spread out the scholarships they will put butts in the seats at Provost Umphrey.
[/quote]

Recruitin locally should also help keep attendance up.  Get all of those PNG, Nederland, Lumberton and Bridge City kids along with a some Beaumont boys.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="894314" timestamp="1288666577"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75337.msg893689#msg893689 date=1288630278]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75337.msg893455#msg893455 date=1288613625]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Except for anyone related to LHS99

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Recruitin locally should also help keep attendance up.  Get all of those PNG, Nederland, Lumberton and Bridge City kids along with a some Beaumont boys.
[/quote]

[quote name="wouldsmith" post="893447" timestamp="1288612895"]
[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree for several reasons. One, being Lamar just spent about $30 million on the new athletic complex, the suites, press box, turf, scoreboard and renovating Provost Umphrey Stadium. Two, football
is being 110% supported by the university administration and the athletic department. Three, this is our first year as a start-up program and we are all guilty of expecting too much too soon. Four, the students voted for the return of football by 78% and have a football fee added for each credit hour they are taking. Five, have you been to a home game yet? The tailgating and game day atmosphere has been great for every game and those spots were sold with a three year commitment.

Now, within the next three years Lamar needs to be competing for the SLC championship. So give the coaching staff some time as LU has the best facilities in the conference. This is a major recruiting advantage.

We will have the off season strength and conditioning program (Lamar has never had a strength and conditioning coach) and we have two coaches that is their job to get the returning players bigger, stronger and faster. Then add a couple recruiting classes to add depth and better athletes.

[/quote]

They can spend as much as They want....its all hype.  Just wait and see what the attendance is next year or two.  Then remember my words.....it'll be just like 20 years ago...minus 30 million dollars.  Haha
[/quote]

Well the following schools are not in their first year and are having disappointing seasons, I think that their football programs are about to be cancelled:
University of Texas  4-4
Colorado  3-5
Texas Tech  4-4
Kansas  2-6
Boston College 3-5
Duke 2-6
Wake Forest 2-6
Cincinatti  3-5
Memphis  1-7
Minn.  1-8
Tulane  3-5
Rice 2-6
Notre Dame 4-5
Akron  0-9
Byu  3-5
Colorado St  3-6
UNLV  1-7
Wyoming 2-7
New Mexico  0-8
Tennessee  2-6
Ole Miss  3-5
North Texas 2-6
Western Kentucky  1-7
Ark State  3-5
Nicholls State  2-6
SE La  2-6

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="894335" timestamp="1288667725"]
[quote author=wouldsmith link=topic=75337.msg893447#msg893447 date=1288612895]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well the following schools are not in their first year and are having disappointing seasons, [b]I think that their football programs are about to be cancelled[/b]:
University of Texas  4-4
Colorado  3-5
Texas Tech  4-4
Kansas  2-6
Boston College 3-5
Duke 2-6
Wake Forest 2-6
Cincinatti  3-5
Memphis  1-7
Minn.  1-8
Tulane  3-5
Rice 2-6
Notre Dame 4-5
Akron  0-9
Byu  3-5
Colorado St  3-6
UNLV  1-7
Wyoming 2-7
New Mexico  0-8
Tennessee  2-6
Ole Miss  3-5
North Texas 2-6
Western Kentucky  1-7
Ark State  3-5
Nicholls State  2-6
SE La   2-6
[/quote]
CANCEL FOOTBALL AT UT and Notre DAME?...I THINK THE WORLD WOULD END FIRST... ;)

Regarding all of the tailgating rules currently in place at Lamar, I think the folks at LU and the City of Beaumont are missing an incredible opportunity to generate more fan support and money for the university.  For a game that starts at 6pm on Saturday, why only open the parking lots at noon on game day?  Why not clear the lots at noon the day before (that's when classes end), and allow the motor homes and trailers to set up and begin their partying then?  Charge money and allow the big supporters to stay the night in the parking lot.  Allow LU or BPD officers to work security at all of the entrances and throughout the parking lots, and use a portion of the fees to pay them.  I am willing to bet the big-time tailgaters would gladly pay the extra money to be able to set up an entire day earlier.  I know we're not the same as Texas A&M, but tailgaters there pay big bucks to show up Thursday afternoon and don't leave until Sunday.  It's a win-win for the university and the supporters.  Plus, it would prevent the game day jam of folks trying to get in and set up just 6 hours before kickoff.  Perhaps the LU folks should ask other universities how they do it and conduct a cost analysis to see if it's worth changing.  

[quote name="PVT Ryan" post="894551" timestamp="1288707555"]
Regarding all of the tailgating rules currently in place at Lamar, I think the folks at LU and the City of Beaumont are missing an incredible opportunity to generate more fan support and money for the university.  For a game that starts at 6pm on Saturday, why only open the parking lots at noon on game day?  Why not clear the lots at noon the day before (that's when classes end), and allow the motor homes and trailers to set up and begin their partying then?  Charge money and allow the big supporters to stay the night in the parking lot.  Allow LU or BPD officers to work security at all of the entrances and throughout the parking lots, and use a portion of the fees to pay them.  I am willing to bet the big-time tailgaters would gladly pay the extra money to be able to set up an entire day earlier.  I know we're not the same as Texas A&M, but tailgaters there pay big bucks to show up Thursday afternoon and don't leave until Sunday.  It's a win-win for the university and the supporters.  Plus, it would prevent the game day jam of folks trying to get in and set up just 6 hours before kickoff.  Perhaps the LU folks should ask other universities how they do it and conduct a cost analysis to see if it's worth changing.  
[/quote]
Good post.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="894575" timestamp="1288708904"]
[quote author=PVT Ryan link=topic=75337.msg894551#msg894551 date=1288707555]
[/quote]
Good post.
[/quote]

Great post, but someone needs to get the message to the athletic department and not let the issue die on a message board.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="894307" timestamp="1288666273"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=75337.msg893428#msg893428 date=1288597132]
South Alabama also played that schedule because they're games don't count as DI wins. It's hard to get a school to play you if you're not counting towards their DI win column total. It's different for Lamar when it comes to FCS games like McNeese, SHSU, and SFA because we recruit in that area. We want to be able to play the Cardinals and show the local kids how much better our schools are, yada yada yada.

It's the same reason that all the FBS schools are lining up to play UTSA, who has never played a down of football, and it's because San Antonio is a recruiting hot bed.

[/quote]

So there weren't/aren't schools that play against South Alabama that would want to show kids they are better than them for recruiting purposes?  Weak argument
[/quote]

Weak argument in favor of why you're playing a tougher schedule, I guess you don't want to be proud of playing a tough schedule, fine by me. I couldn't care less.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami