Bears defeat powerful Coogs

My name is Justin Aaron Kelm I am  a graduate of Crosby High School and  am a journalist and statistician. I write stories for the Crosby Cougars. I do independent stats as well.

[b]By: Justin Aaron Kelm[/b]

Kickoff, the Crosby High School 2010-2011 season kicked off as senior Dominic Merka led the charge as they faced a new rival, the Montgomery Bears. These Bears had some unsettled business as the Coogs ended there hopes of a state title last year in the 2009 playoffs.  The game stared off with a bang, as now senior Quarterback Dominic Merka scampered in for a 14 yd TD run, with 6:43 left in the 1st. It’s not as though Kevin Flanigan and the Crosby Cougars didn’t know what to expect from 2009 playoff foe, Montgomery.  They just weren’t able to stop it. Leroy Dobbins rushed for 220 yards and five touchdowns Friday to power Montgomery to a 56-30 victory over Crosby in the season opener for both teams.  The win was sweet for the Bears, who saw their 2009 season end in a third-round playoff loss to the Cougars. Dobbins scored on runs of one, four, 17, 20 and his 71-yard burst early in the second half erased a 23-21 Crosby lead. Dobbins scored on runs of one, four, 17, 20 and his 71-yard burst early in the second half erased a 23-21 Crosby lead. Flanigan knows what it’s like to have a rough start to the season.  Last season, the Cougars were blown out by Ennis in Waco and lost their next game to Port Neches-Groves before winning 10 straight games. They reached the fourth round in the state playoffs. Gage Larkin recovered the second half kickoff for Crosby and three plays later Dominic Merka, who finished with 123 yards on 19 carries and three touchdowns, scored on a 13-yard run that gave the Cougars a 23-21 lead.  But on Montgomery’s first play from scrimmage in the third quarter, Dobbins raced around the right side of the Cougars’ defense for a 71-yard score that gave the Bears a lead they would not relinquish.  Dobbins added third-quarter scoring runs of 17 and one yards.  Tyler Bolfing passed 34 yards to Alex Peppe late in the third quarter to give Montgomery a 49-23 lead. Montgomery’s Tevin House scored on a 30-yard run in the fourth quarter and Jake LeFleur added a three-yard run for the Cougars. Jacoby Scott returned the opening kickoff 33 yards and Merka scored on a 13-yard run to cap an 11-play drive that gave Crosby a 7-0 lead with 6:43 left in the first.  But Montgomery scored on its first possession with Dobbins crossing the goal line on a 4-yard run with 2:54 left in the first. The Bears Jeffrey Elliott recovered a Scott fumble and two plays later, Dobbins scored on a 20-yard scamper that gave Montgomery a 14-7 lead.  Merka countered with a seven-yard scoring run on the last play of the first quarter but an errant snap on the PAT left Crosby trailing, 14-13. Montgomery’s Jimmy Dominick returned the kickoff 62 yards to the 20 and two plays later Bolfing scored on a 20-yard run that increased the Bears’ lead to 21-13 with 10:50 left in the half. Crosby inched closer with a 40-yard field goal by Sam Fowler that pulled the Cougars to within 21-16 at the half, but that is about it as the Bears took off and pulled away during the second half. The Coogs fell 56-30 to the Bears.
The Cougars now sport a 0-1 record. They take the field next when they travel to Port Neches-Groves for a non-league challenge on Friday, September 3. Crosby will meet an Indians team coming off a 30-29 non-league loss to Gregory-Portland (Portland, TX). The Indians record now stands at 0-1.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="862254" timestamp="1285905935"]
Suggestion:  write an article about the multi personalities of HS sports fans.  Seriously, a couple of hours reading these threads and you have something to write about.  Perhaps we should see ourselves thru the words of an interested writer. 
Good Luck.
[/quote]
BTW WeedBegone is one word with two [s]capital[/s]  [s]capitol[/s] big letters  which represent the initials of the High School I mostly support. 
My past included lots of field maintenance on youth softball and baseball fields and has nothing to do with illegal substances.  Just in case you pick me as example.  ;D

Guest octfeb
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="862257" timestamp="1285906190"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=73703.msg862254#msg862254 date=1285905935]
Suggestion:  write an article about the multi personalities of HS sports fans.  Seriously, a couple of hours reading these threads and you have something to write about.  Perhaps we should see ourselves thru the words of an interested writer. 
Good Luck.
[/quote]
BTW WeedBegone is one word with two [s]capital[/s]  [s]capitol[/s] big letters  which represent the initials of the High School I mostly support. 
My past included lots of field maintenance on youth softball and baseball fields and has nothing to do with illegal substances.  Just in case you pick me as example.  ;D

[/quote] Dude I have to say I love your lil phrase at the bottom of your post. I really L'dOL (<-- can I do that?) when I read it. That is to funny.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder