RIP Coach Barbay

Yep

I had the priveledge of knowing "Coach". I would spend a lot of time with some friends in Bon Weir we would go play sandlot football with some others in Newton...Coach would sit out there for hours and just watch (and of course give us tips) he just loved the game and the boys that played it. What a wonderful role model...prayers out to the family.

RIP Coach. Of all these tragic events, I do know that these men went out doing what they loved. I could only hope when its my time to go, ill be doing what I love also. This has been a very tragic month for us SETXans, but we will perservere. Thats what type of people we are. ONE BIG FAMILY!!

Guest incognito123
I had the opportunity to meet Coach Barbay once.  My parents are good friends with his son, Darrell, and his wife, and I played for Darrell at Hull Daisetta.  My parents and I went to the Anahuac vs. Hardin game last season and before the game, we went by the Barbay's house in Anahuac to visit with Melissa, and Coach Barbay and his wife were there.  I suppose Newton was off that week.  They had come down to visit and see Anahuac play.  We sat for about two hours in that living room and listened to Coach talk about football, and I bet he mentioned 15-20 of his former players as he told story after story about his seasons in Newton.  I was awestruck and told my dad when we left that we had just had a two hour conversation with a legend.  It was like talking to Bill Gates about Microsoft, you just knew that everything he said was right and there was no bigger expert on the sport.  He sat one row behind us at the game, and as Anahuac beat Hardin soundly, he critiqued every play, and every call.  He couldn't turn the coach off, even when he was a spectator.  It was wonderful.  Some guys I work with know that I knew him and his son, and they often asked me if I thought that Coach C. Barbay would take it easy on Coach D. Barbay this season as they met up for the first head to head matchup.  My answer was easy, HECK NO!  I said, "He will try to beat the tar out of his son and tell him afterwards, "that's how you do it!!", then go kiss his granddaughters.".  That's just the kind of man he was, and I don't think Darrell would tell you the same thing.  I am saddened that we will never get to see that matchup, but in a way, it is fitting.  Instead of playing Barbay vs. Barbay, you will now get to see two communities (Anahuac and Newton) come together and play FOR Barbay, and I think, no matter the score, everyone will win that night!

Prayers from the Elder familiy go out to all of the Barbay families.

[quote name="incognito123" post="858961" timestamp="1285597435"]
I had the opportunity to meet Coach Barbay once.  My parents are good friends with his son, Darrell, and his wife, and I played for Darrell at Hull Daisetta.  My parents and I went to the Anahuac vs. Hardin game last season and before the game, we went by the Barbay's house in Anahuac to visit with Melissa, and Coach Barbay and his wife were there.  I suppose Newton was off that week.  They had come down to visit and see Anahuac play.  We sat for about two hours in that living room and listened to Coach talk about football, and I bet he mentioned 15-20 of his former players as he told story after story about his seasons in Newton.  I was awestruck and told my dad when we left that we had just had a two hour conversation with a legend.  It was like talking to Bill Gates about Microsoft, you just knew that everything he said was right and there was no bigger expert on the sport.  He sat one row behind us at the game, and as Anahuac beat Hardin soundly, he critiqued every play, and every call.  He couldn't turn the coach off, even when he was a spectator.  It was wonderful.  Some guys I work with know that I knew him and his son, and they often asked me if I thought that Coach C. Barbay would take it easy on Coach D. Barbay this season as they met up for the first head to head matchup.  My answer was easy, HECK NO!  I said, "He will try to beat the tar out of his son and tell him afterwards, "that's how you do it!!", then go kiss his granddaughters.".  That's just the kind of man he was, and I don't think Darrell would tell you the same thing.  I am saddened that we will never get to see that matchup, but in a way, it is fitting.  Instead of playing Barbay vs. Barbay, you will now get to see two communities (Anahuac and Newton) come together and play FOR Barbay, and I think, no matter the score, everyone will win that night!

[/quote] Great post !

[/quote]Probably the best post I've ever read on this site!  Well said and thanks for sharing.

[/quote]
great post!! Reminds me of when Coach Barbay would come over and watch his grandsons play little league baseball. He would get so upset because the coach that was coaching the youngest of Bryans boys didnt really know what she was doing..LOL He cracked us up in the stands. I had the privelege of knowing Coach Barbay, his wife and Bryans family. This is such a great family. I am so thankful that I got to know them all. Coach you will be missed...my thoughts and prayers are with this family. May God give you alll the strength to overcome your sorrow! Love you guys!

Yes Barbay is definitly running the conversation, and Lombardi with that big toothy grin is yelling "HOW ABOUT THIS GUY", Bear Bryant standing stiff and saying "Can we do some 2 a days" and Papa Halas of course not saying a word just grinning and taking it all in.

This is going to be a soccer coach’s first attempt to write a post on the football forum.  In no way am I trying to “one up” the previous story, I would just like to share one more Coach Barbay/Coach Hooks moment.

10 Years ago I graduated from college and was engaged to a young lady from Newton.  My soon to be father-in-law called Coach Barbay up and asked if he could help me find a job.  That morning I walked into Coach Barbay’s office having no clue who he was or how much influence he had in South East Texas.  He shook my hand and talked to me like he had  known me for years, like I was an old player of his.  He was real and honest and commanded my attention immediately.  We soon both realized that Newton was not were I needed to be but he stated that “he knew some people”. 

He made a phone call to his friend and within minutes he had an interview set up with Dan Ray Hooks for me.  Coach Barbay made time for me that day when he didn’t have to and for that I am eternally grateful.  The fact that I had conversations with both Curtis Barbay and Dan Hooks within an hour and a half still impresses some football coaches I know (probably because they realize that I was just some goofy soccer coach who knew somebody who knew somebody).  Coach Hooks hired me that day and all because of one mans phone call. 

The Barbay family and Hooks family will continue to be in my prayers for peace that passes all understanding.

Matt Wedel
VHS
Head Coach Pirate Soccer

I see all these great stories and it brings my memories of Coach Barbay to mind.  My  memories are from a different point of view.  I can't recall ever having a spoken word with him.  But I have great memories anyway.  I remember a stern figure that received great respect almost fear.  I remember the menacing figure I viewed as a young football player.  The view one had from the other side of the field.  Newton was an opponent of mine for my football years.  I remember always looking eagerly to that game yet with great concern at the same time.  Desiring a win that never happened.  He lead a program that always had athletes but was a lot more than that.  They always did the little things right and seemed to make the big plays whenever they were needed.  The one constant that seemed to always be there no matter what level I was playing was the Coach over there on the other side.  He left an impression on me without ever speaking to me at a young age, one that earned my respect. His program speaks for itself,  success from the his varsity on down. No Coach Barbay wasn't menacing or someone to be scared of,  all the other stories prove that fact,  but his program did bring both of those emotions to his opponents.  My best wishes to his family,  may you find peace.  To his son's you have the best example anyone could have to be the best coach you can possibly be both on and off the field.  Good luck Newton,  for the rest of this season and in your search for a new coach,  may it be someone who can carry on Coach's legacy.  No one will ever fill his shoes all they can do is lead by his example.

The lights were on, the stands were full, the Eagles entered the field through the tunnel and Coach Barbay ruled the sideline one more time. Many, many former players and old friends along side current players. I, along with lots of others, shed some tears. Ms. Mona told me that it was very uplifting. A great tribute to a legend. RIP Coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami