Newton Coach Curtis Barbay Passes Away....Texas Loses A Legend

Guest Jmeek

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers from your friends at Kirbyville.  Coach Barbay was one of a kind.  When he was approached by the East Texas Pee Wee Football League about getting permission to hold games on Newton's field, his response about pee wee football coming to Newton, "Its about time.  Let me know what I can do for the kids."  I will never forget his desire to help the beginners learn about the game of football.  He will truly be missed.  A few years ago, one of his players died in an accident the fall after he graduated.  Coach brought most of the team to the funeral, showing to me his love of his players.  I hope all of SE Texas pays a fitting tribute to the man, the coach, the friend, THE LEGEND.

He was a true man in a world where we desperately need good men.  He will be sorely missed.  I sincerely feel for his family and his extended family... the players and fellow coaches.  He touched so many lives in his time on and off the field.  

I had the pleasure of working for Daryl Barbay and he is a great one as well.  My heart hurts for you man.  

Rest in Peace COACH.  

A Very sad day againg in SE Texas.  I like many only got to see the man standing a mere 50 yards away for 4 yrs. Standing across the field from him made an impact on many young men.  He was an icon for sure and will be greatly missed.  Prayers to the Barbay family, Eagles football program and the community of Newton.  We are all behind you!

Saddened by the passing of Newton Head Football Coach Curtis Barbay -- I only got up to Newton once or twice a year to visit with Coach Barbay.... but he was always so generous with his time, welcoming, fun to talk to, honest and open....and a dang funny man. Will always remember being on the field for his 1998 State Championship win....a great man and coach who will be missed.  Prayers and condolences to the Newton Eagle Football Family, players, coaches, former players, community, friends and family.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83