Lamar at WAC Meetings?

TexasTerror

[quote name="GeauxLamar" post="860331" timestamp="1285717570"]
Just curious if your source said anything else like... not right now but later or looking at different conference? If Denver goes to the WAC then there is another opening in the Sunbelt etc
[/quote]

We need money to go FBS, and we don't have enough to make that move.

I would like to see Lamar go FBS one day, but I'm not going to waste my breath talking about it. If y'all want to see it so bad, start raising money.

Otherwise y'all are also wasting time because a move to FBS is a long way off. Be happy with what we have.

[quote name="bigred360" post="860729" timestamp="1285777465"]
UNLV, there may be a new conference develop. We don't know what is going to happen in the next 5 years.

I like your passion about Lamar and Beaumont but give it a rest for awhile.
[/quote]Why plan for retirement when I can win the lotto in the future. We don't know what is going to happen in the next 5 years.
Why don't you tell the others to give it a rest. Is because you agree with them?

[quote name="UNLV" post="860741" timestamp="1285778260"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=73261.msg860729#msg860729 date=1285777465]
UNLV, there may be a new conference develop. We don't know what is going to happen in the next 5 years.

[/quote]Why plan for retirement when I can win the lotto in the future. We don't know what is going to happen in the next 5 years.
Why don't you tell the others to give it a rest. Is because you agree with them?
[/quote]

No, UNLV "if" enrollment continues to grow, on campus student involvement continues to grow. There is development around the Lamar campus and LU buys a lot of property for growth. The football team is successful for a few years. We upgrade our athletic facilities and add softball and build a nice stadium for the sport. Then like mffl stated there is money for the move to FBS I would support it 100%.

For example of athletic upgrades Vincent-Beck in scheduled for $3,750,000 in 2011, $750,000 in 2012 and $500,000 in 2013. The softball stadium construction as been pushed back to 2013 when they expect cost to be $1,200,000 with completion in 2014.

Lamar couldn't buy out Coach Roc's contract or give Coach Tidwell a raise for the additional title of interim AD. How can we afford to go FBS?

[quote name="bigred360" post="860750" timestamp="1285779010"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73261.msg860741#msg860741 date=1285778260]

[/quote]

No, UNLV "if" enrollment continues to grow, on campus student involvement continues to grow. There is development around the Lamar campus and LU buys a lot of property for growth. The football team is successful for a few years and like mffl stated there is money for the move to FBS I would support it 100%.

Lamar couldn't buy out Coach Roc's contract or give Coach Tidwell a raise for the additional title of interim AD. How can we afford to go FBS?

[/quote]I understand money, but what you and others don't understand is conference realignment. You can't decide to go FBS when you want too.
If the WAC offer LU a good deal, LU must take it and find the money. If not, then LU will most likely never get another opporttunity again.
FBS numbers will be capped within 5 years.

[quote name="bigred360" post="860750" timestamp="1285779010"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=73261.msg860741#msg860741 date=1285778260]

[/quote]

No, UNLV "if" enrollment continues to grow, on campus student involvement continues to grow. There is development around the Lamar campus and LU buys a lot of property for growth. The football team is successful for a few years. We upgrade our athletic facilities and add softball and build a nice stadium for the sport. Then like mffl stated there is money for the move to FBS I would support it 100%.

[/quote]

UNLV's response, "Don't you believe in the tooth fairy?"

[quote name="UNLV" post="860761" timestamp="1285780014"]If the WAC offer LU a good deal, LU must take it and find the money[/quote]

Yeah.  Sound like a scenario that happened all too often among lenders and new homebuyers in the mid 2000's.  And we know what happened there.

I assume you realize that the state is in a $16 billion deficit and will be cutting funding across the board, right?

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="860914" timestamp="1285791054"]
[font=Courier]WAC met with the following teams:

Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Seattle University, Montana and the University of Denver.

Case closed.[/font]
[/quote]

For now, but my guess is that by 2015 Lamar will be in a FBS conference.

How about being dominant in the division you just joined before thinking you are ready to take the next step?

Weber International - Dominant force in NAIA, great 7 point win.

SFA - 71 to 3... need more be said.

Lamar just got its program back, enjoy the green grass on this side of the bridge for a while. Let North Texas be the worst DI BCS school in Texas for now.

[quote name="Citizen Kane" post="861088" timestamp="1285804912"]
How about being dominant in the division you just joined before thinking you are ready to take the next step?

Weber International - Dominant force in NAIA, great 7 point win.

SFA - 71 to 3... need more be said.

Lamar just got its program back, enjoy the green grass on this side of the bridge for a while. Let North Texas be the worst DI BCS school in Texas for now.
[/quote]

Just to clarify a couple of things. One it is Webber International (two b's). Two, North Texas is in a FBS conference but not a BCS school. See Boise State.

[quote name="coachacola" post="860998" timestamp="1285797879"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=73261.msg860914#msg860914 date=1285791054]
[font=Courier]WAC met with the following teams:

Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Seattle University, Montana and the University of Denver.

Case closed.[/font]
[/quote]

For now, but my guess is that by 2015 Lamar will be in a FBS conference.
[/quote]I say 2013...

Both Rice and North Texas are hardly ever any good but they have no intentions of dropping down.  Texas State and UTSA will soon be competing with North Texas for the worst FBS team in Texas, but both schools see that as a better option than staying in the SLC.  I wouldn't be surprised if both Lamar and SHSU are both FBS schools within 5 years.

[quote name="bigred360" post="861092" timestamp="1285805384"] Just to clarify a couple of things. One it is Webber International (two b's). Two, North Texas is in a FBS conference but not a BCS school. See Boise State.
[/quote]

I apologize for the typos. Web"b"er International with two b's was a formidable program. The North Texas - BCS comment was facetious. NT joining a power conference is as likely as LU going to FBS.

[quote name="coachacola" post="861138" timestamp="1285806808"]
Both Rice and North Texas are hardly ever any good but they have no intentions of dropping down.  Texas State and UTSA will soon be competing with North Texas for the worst FBS team in Texas, but both schools see that as a better option than staying in the SLC.  I wouldn't be surprised if both Lamar and SHSU are both FBS schools within 5 years.
[/quote]

So SHSU, Lamar, TX State, UTSA and SFA should all go FCS? And they will all do it in the next five years? Why not drop the rest of the SLC in there. Perhaps UTA and Corpus can start programs in the next couple years and join to.

Surely they will all be able to contend for a BCS game in 10-15 years.

[quote name="Citizen Kane" post="861177" timestamp="1285808041"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=73261.msg861092#msg861092 date=1285805384] Just to clarify a couple of things. One it is Webber International (two b's). Two, North Texas is in a FBS conference but not a BCS school. See Boise State.
[/quote]

I apologize for the typos. Web"b"er International with two b's was a formidable program. The North Texas - BCS comment was facetious. NT joining a power conference is as likely as LU going to FCS.

[/quote]

Lamar is in a FCS conference in the SLC.

[quote name="coachacola" post="861138" timestamp="1285806808"]
[/quote]

you either have been smoking some funny looking cigarettes or you just need a serious reality check.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="861215" timestamp="1285809990"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=73261.msg861138#msg861138 date=1285806808]
[/quote]

you either have been smoking some funny looking cigarettes or you just need a serious reality check.
[/quote]

You must think Dr. Simmons and Billy Tubbs have been smoking too since that's their timeline to go FBS, not mine.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83