Another commentary on the naming of BISD stadium

A little piece from Bob West's column today:

I’m still shaking my head over the Beaumont Independent School District naming its sparkling new football stadium after its somewhat controversial superintendent Carroll “Butch” Thomas. Why wouldn’t you name a new football showpiece after an inspirational athlete from Beaumont who has gone on to distinguish himself and bring pride  and recognition to his hometown? Somebody like ground-breaking football pioneer Jerry LeVias, a guy who overcame mind-boggling abuse to become the first black football player in the Southwest Conference as a star at SMU. LeVias, of course, went on to a solid NFL career and continues to be involved in community work in Houston. Or Bubba Smith, the only player from Southeast Texas even taken with the very first pick of the NFL draft. Smith, of course, went on to considerable recognition as Hightower in the Police Academy movies. Earlier Beaumont Stadiums were named after sports figures Babe Zaharias and Alex Durley. Why such a self-serving reversal in policy?

Levias Stadium has a good ring to it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="834333" timestamp="1283105330"]
A little piece from Bob West's column today:

I’m still shaking my head over the Beaumont Independent School District naming its sparkling new football stadium after its somewhat controversial superintendent Carroll “Butch” Thomas. Why wouldn’t you name a new football showpiece after an inspirational athlete from Beaumont who has gone on to distinguish himself and bring pride  and recognition to his hometown? Somebody like ground-breaking football pioneer Jerry LeVias, a guy who overcame mind-boggling abuse to become the first black football player in the Southwest Conference as a star at SMU. LeVias, of course, went on to a solid NFL career and continues to be involved in community work in Houston. Or Bubba Smith, the only player from Southeast Texas even taken with the very first pick of the NFL draft. Smith, of course, went on to considerable recognition as Hightower in the Police Academy movies. Earlier Beaumont Stadiums were named after sports figures Babe Zaharias and Alex Durley. Why such a self-serving reversal in policy?

Levias Stadium has a good ring to it.
[/quote]

No doubt the best post I have read since Iv'e been on this site...Good post Aggie and I'm sure it's the feeling of a lot of folks..(If they would admit it)... ;D

With due respect to Mr. West, why bring this up now after celebrating the first events?  It was no secret that the center was going to be named after Dr. Thomas.

Look, I see it this way. I wasn't in love with naming the Center after Dr. Thomas, either.  However, a majority of the duly elected board of trustees of the Beaumont ISD thought otherwise...and if there was an uproar at the decision amongst the voting public, it certainly has not been reported by any of the Beaumont media outlets.  I won't begrudge those who continue to oppose the naming of the facility, but I will wonder at it.  Until it is named otherwise by this of another set of trustees, I call it the Thomas Center as that is what, through its representatives, the voting members of the Beaumont ISD have chosen to name it.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="834567" timestamp="1283126434"]
With due respect to Mr. West, why bring this up now after celebrating the first events?  It was no secret that the center was going to be named after Dr. Thomas.

Look, I see it this way. I wasn't in love with naming the Center after Dr. Thomas, either.  However, a majority of the duly elected board of trustees of the Beaumont ISD thought otherwise...and if there was an uproar at the decision amongst the voting public, it certainly has not been reported by any of the Beaumont media outlets.  I won't begrudge those who continue to oppose the naming of the facility, but I will wonder at it.  Until it is named otherwise by this or another set of trustees, I call it the Thomas Center as that is what, through its representatives, the voting members of the Beaumont ISD have chosen to name it.
[/quote]Very nice post Grad

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="834658" timestamp="1283134363"]
Close enough lol I thought soulja would like that one maybe not
[/quote]the stadium IMO should have been named "Willie Ray Smith Memorial Stadium" but its done now. I dont have a prob with calling it "the Butch".  :D

[quote name="scooter!" post="834667" timestamp="1283134642"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=72210.msg834658#msg834658 date=1283134363]
[/quote]the stadium IMO should have been named "Willie Ray Smith Memorial Stadium" but its done now. I dont have a prob with calling it "the Butch".  :D
[/quote]
Now I thought the consensus was to call it "Da Butch". ;)

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="834671" timestamp="1283134749"]
[quote author=scooter! link=topic=72210.msg834667#msg834667 date=1283134642]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=72210.msg834658#msg834658 date=1283134363]
[/quote]
Now I thought the consensus was to call it "Da Butch". ;)
[/quote]probably, but imma call it the Carroll Thomas educational center just to make the Brooke fans mad  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fgzfdgvxv
    Newest Member
    fgzfdgvxv

• Final 1A top-10 list (From THSB): Final 1A Top 10 Rankings 1Ira (24-0) 2Fayetteville (18-5) 3Chester (24-11) 4Abbott (16-11-1) 5D’Hanis (21-7) 6Neches (19-13) 7Dodd City (16-7) 8Morton (15-7) 9Electra (19-5) 10Brookeland (16-3)     Chester and Brookeland making the list.  Pretty good showing for the 24-2A district.  Congratulations to the Yellowjackets of Chester and The Wildcats of Brookeland.
    • Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
  • Topics