Another commentary on the naming of BISD stadium

A little piece from Bob West's column today:

I’m still shaking my head over the Beaumont Independent School District naming its sparkling new football stadium after its somewhat controversial superintendent Carroll “Butch” Thomas. Why wouldn’t you name a new football showpiece after an inspirational athlete from Beaumont who has gone on to distinguish himself and bring pride  and recognition to his hometown? Somebody like ground-breaking football pioneer Jerry LeVias, a guy who overcame mind-boggling abuse to become the first black football player in the Southwest Conference as a star at SMU. LeVias, of course, went on to a solid NFL career and continues to be involved in community work in Houston. Or Bubba Smith, the only player from Southeast Texas even taken with the very first pick of the NFL draft. Smith, of course, went on to considerable recognition as Hightower in the Police Academy movies. Earlier Beaumont Stadiums were named after sports figures Babe Zaharias and Alex Durley. Why such a self-serving reversal in policy?

Levias Stadium has a good ring to it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="834333" timestamp="1283105330"]
A little piece from Bob West's column today:

I’m still shaking my head over the Beaumont Independent School District naming its sparkling new football stadium after its somewhat controversial superintendent Carroll “Butch” Thomas. Why wouldn’t you name a new football showpiece after an inspirational athlete from Beaumont who has gone on to distinguish himself and bring pride  and recognition to his hometown? Somebody like ground-breaking football pioneer Jerry LeVias, a guy who overcame mind-boggling abuse to become the first black football player in the Southwest Conference as a star at SMU. LeVias, of course, went on to a solid NFL career and continues to be involved in community work in Houston. Or Bubba Smith, the only player from Southeast Texas even taken with the very first pick of the NFL draft. Smith, of course, went on to considerable recognition as Hightower in the Police Academy movies. Earlier Beaumont Stadiums were named after sports figures Babe Zaharias and Alex Durley. Why such a self-serving reversal in policy?

Levias Stadium has a good ring to it.
[/quote]

No doubt the best post I have read since Iv'e been on this site...Good post Aggie and I'm sure it's the feeling of a lot of folks..(If they would admit it)... ;D

With due respect to Mr. West, why bring this up now after celebrating the first events?  It was no secret that the center was going to be named after Dr. Thomas.

Look, I see it this way. I wasn't in love with naming the Center after Dr. Thomas, either.  However, a majority of the duly elected board of trustees of the Beaumont ISD thought otherwise...and if there was an uproar at the decision amongst the voting public, it certainly has not been reported by any of the Beaumont media outlets.  I won't begrudge those who continue to oppose the naming of the facility, but I will wonder at it.  Until it is named otherwise by this of another set of trustees, I call it the Thomas Center as that is what, through its representatives, the voting members of the Beaumont ISD have chosen to name it.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="834567" timestamp="1283126434"]
With due respect to Mr. West, why bring this up now after celebrating the first events?  It was no secret that the center was going to be named after Dr. Thomas.

Look, I see it this way. I wasn't in love with naming the Center after Dr. Thomas, either.  However, a majority of the duly elected board of trustees of the Beaumont ISD thought otherwise...and if there was an uproar at the decision amongst the voting public, it certainly has not been reported by any of the Beaumont media outlets.  I won't begrudge those who continue to oppose the naming of the facility, but I will wonder at it.  Until it is named otherwise by this or another set of trustees, I call it the Thomas Center as that is what, through its representatives, the voting members of the Beaumont ISD have chosen to name it.
[/quote]Very nice post Grad

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="834658" timestamp="1283134363"]
Close enough lol I thought soulja would like that one maybe not
[/quote]the stadium IMO should have been named "Willie Ray Smith Memorial Stadium" but its done now. I dont have a prob with calling it "the Butch".  :D

[quote name="scooter!" post="834667" timestamp="1283134642"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=72210.msg834658#msg834658 date=1283134363]
[/quote]the stadium IMO should have been named "Willie Ray Smith Memorial Stadium" but its done now. I dont have a prob with calling it "the Butch".  :D
[/quote]
Now I thought the consensus was to call it "Da Butch". ;)

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="834671" timestamp="1283134749"]
[quote author=scooter! link=topic=72210.msg834667#msg834667 date=1283134642]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=72210.msg834658#msg834658 date=1283134363]
[/quote]
Now I thought the consensus was to call it "Da Butch". ;)
[/quote]probably, but imma call it the Carroll Thomas educational center just to make the Brooke fans mad  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124