Area games to be broadcast on TV

[quote name="Cat22" post="818450" timestamp="1279249276"]
Why are these games moved to Saturday at the same time as Lamar games?
[/quote]

Because you can't show them live on Friday night's. KFDM wants to show them on the CW channel on Saturday.

It is a shame that some of these games will conflict with Lamar's games.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="818464" timestamp="1279251013"]
[quote author=Cat22 link=topic=71037.msg818455#msg818455 date=1279250088]
Why would KFDM want to compete with Lamar games? 
[/quote]

Good question. One that I cannot answer.
[/quote]

Sorry Aggies  that was more of a general statement and not directed at you.

Well, although this is just speculation on my part, here is why I think KFDM had to choose Saturday night for the live broadcast.

First, as AAW and COOP alluded to earlier in this thread, the UIL prohibits airing of live broadcasts on Friday night.  Here is the language found on page 57 of the UIL Football Manual, "[b]UIL member schools shall not have a live telecast or video webcast/live videostream of a Friday night regular season football game when other schools are having interschool football games in the telecast area."[/b]  This is why KBTV can only show games on Friday night on tape delay, and why KFDM couldn't have Friday night as their option to broadcast a live game. So if a station wants to broadcast a game live and not cause a team to violate the 5-day rule, then Thursday and Saturday are the only options.

While Thursday games are common in the Houston area and one local station does broadcast on that night, I think the sell would have been tougher here in the area.  First, this would have involved moving games UP a day, which some of the coaches would not have done.  Further, on Thursday nights, the CW Network does have primetime programming that would have to be pre-empted to show the game and I don't know if Lance could have convinced the programming folks to go that route or if KFDM even has that option under its agreement with the CW Network.  If that is the case, then Saturday would be the only option for broadcast of a live game.

Now, if you are KFDM and your only option is Saturday.  When are you going to kick off that game?  In the afternoon against major college football games that are running on your primary network, another national over the air network and several other cable networks?  Of course not!  You are going to kick it off on Saturday night primetime as the channel you are going to put it on has no primetime national schedule.  Further, KFDM knows that primetime programs on Saturday night are notoriously weak and this broadcast has a shot at being the best on the tube and that it's only potential local competition is a game involving a 1st year non bowl subdivision independent.  

Let me be clear, I wish the two games didn't conflict as it does provide a dilemma for local football fans, especially those from Orange and Kirbyville.  But, I don't think that the fact that the two are occurring at the same time will harm either.  Although there will be folks that may have gone to the WO-S/Kirbyville game that will instead go to the Lamar/Sam Houston State  game, both schools have a good following, so I don't think there is any danger of the Mustangs and Wildcats playing in front of an empty Dan Hooks Stadium.  And I certainly don't think that the attendance or the viewership of the Lamar game will be hurt by a game involving two local 3A schools being played and broadcast.  If there is a legitimate concern that it may be the case, then the powers that be need to review the wisdom of reviving the Cardinal football program.

[quote name="rschuldt" post="818435" timestamp="1279246131"]
Will any Dayton games be broadcasted?  ???
[/quote]

Although you are in the "coverage area" of setxsports, you are just outside the KFDM viewing area so they probably won't be broadcasting any Broncos games.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="818538" timestamp="1279296819"]
[quote author=Judex link=topic=71037.msg818536#msg818536 date=1279296599]
will there be a live webcast? sure would be nice to watch from up here :)
[/quote]

Yes, a  live stream will be on kfdm.com
[/quote]

KFDM.com will stream the games live on Saturday's, and they'll replay them TBA on Sunday afternoons every week as well.

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="818426" timestamp="1279244839"]
Geez, the first two games will both be WO-S games, huh? Makes me wonder if Kerry had anything to do with that? LOL!
[/quote]

I promise you Kerry had absolutely NOTHING to do with KFDM/CW broadcasting football games. Take that to your grave.

[quote name="ljeicp08" post="818557" timestamp="1279302167"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=71037.msg818426#msg818426 date=1279244839]
Geez, the first two games will both be WO-S games, huh? Makes me wonder if Kerry had anything to do with that? LOL!
[/quote]

I promise you Kerry had [b]absolutely NOTHING to do [/b] with KFDM/CW broadcasting football games. Take that to your grave.
[/quote]

More times than not, Kerry has nothing to do. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="818565" timestamp="1279305377"]
[quote author=ljeicp08 link=topic=71037.msg818557#msg818557 date=1279302167]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=71037.msg818426#msg818426 date=1279244839]
[/quote]

I promise you Kerry had [b]absolutely NOTHING to do [/b] with KFDM/CW broadcasting football games. Take that to your grave.
[/quote]

More times than not, Kerry has nothing to do. ;)
[/quote]

I will give him credit! He's been doing lots of homework... yes, he's been learning a brand new weather system the past two weeks here at Channel 6!

First off....
Don't look for Dayton Bronco games in 19-4A to be televised by any TV station from Houston or Beaumont.
#1  How many businesses in Dayton advertise in the Beaumont or Houston market.
#2  Why would the Houston stations even bother in coming out to Dayton on a weekly basis.  There bread and butter in market share is the larger 5A schools.
#3  The Houston TV stations all have their TV towers in Missouri City, with HDTV broadcasts, you can't pick up those station in Dayton with rabbit ears now, you might be able to if you live in Eastgate with no trees around you.  Why would the Houston stations come out to the eastern fringes of their broadcast range to televise a game that would be watched by less than 1% of their total TV market share.
#4  Truth be told, (just from growing up in Port Neches), the Beaumont area is passionate about high school football for everything EAST of the Trinity.  Also, the best weekly TV coverage the Broncos EVER got was the two years we were in what is currently 20-4A.  Every home game at least one of the Beaumont stations were at our games getting highlights, unfortunate for Bronco fans because we couldn't watch the highlights because without a good antenna you can't get Beaumont stations.

And that brings me to a very good thought for residents along the Trinity River region....
I believe with a very good antenna you can pick up BOTH Houston and Beaumont (you might have to turn the antenna, but you should be able to pick up the HD signals from both areas).
If you are a big high school football and or sports fan, it only makes sense that as time passes, the stations will be using thier substations to broadcast more local high school sports, I can even see them broadcasting basketball games or maybe even baseball games in the future on these substations.  Also, sometimes the Beaumont stations do carry different NFL games on Sunday, if you have an antenna, that is more action you can watch for FREE (after the cost of the antenna). 

Would like to know if any of you living in Dayton or Barbers Hill does have an antenna that can pick up both Houston and Beaumont?

I might be getting a large antenna for my house this fall, was wondering if there was a brand that did pick up both markets without having to turn them?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder