***WO-S Wins State AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!***

WOS 3A State Track Champs AGAIN!

WOS Mustangs won the 4x100 Saturday with a time of 41.49 and the 4x200 in 1:26 to defend their 3A Gold Medals!

Trey Franks wins the 100 in 10.6. Justin Thomas finishes second in the 200. Phillip Jones finishes second in the 110 hurdles.

Mustangs garner second straight 3A state track crown

Tom Halliburton & Van Wade Orange Leader

AUSTIN — Phillip Jones delivered the type of Saturday which typified his West Orange-Stark track team.

It would rate as championship caliber – as in 3A boys state team back-to-back champions.

The Mustangs did it again in Austin at the 99th annual University Interscholastic League’s state track and field championships, winning two relays and giving Trey Franks and James Haynes an ideal, early graduation present.

Franks and Haynes completed their superb high school careers, handing WO-S coach Toby Foreman back-to-back state championships with a special 10 seconds apiece of graduation memories in Mike A. Myers Stadium.

The University of Texas at Austin campus turned sun-drenched with temperatures creeping into the mid-80s by the time that Jones and Franks each started their individual races with a bit of a struggle out of the blocks.

Franks came out of the blocks slowly but still won the 100 meters in 10.62.  Madisonville’s Brock Taylor was second in 10.84 and Corpus Christi West Oso’s Quentin Butler captured third in 10.96.

Jones fought off a slow start in the 110-meter hurdles but came on strong enough for a second-place 14.61.  Jones got nipped at the finish line by Dallas Madison’s Marquise Smith, who ran a 14.59. Bellville’s Quentin Runnels was third at 14.70.

But there was a reason why Franks and Haynes anchored the 400- and 800-meter relay races. Each of those seniors roared home from behind like duel freight trains in producing 40 of the Mustangs’ 66 championship points.

Runner-up Texarkana Liberty-Eylau won the 1,600-meter relay to finish with 61.33 points but it really made no difference. When sophomore Justin Thomas placed second in the 200 meters – despite his distinct disadvantage (running from the outside lane) – the WO-S hosses could celebrate back-to-back state track titles in Class 3A. Thomas ran a 21.76. Brookshire-Royal’s Brandon Williams won with a time of 21.44 and West Oso’s Butler was third at 21.93.

“The kids performed well,” the Mustangs track coach said. “Overall, we ran about as well as you could have expected us to run.

“I knew today that we weren’t likely to be getting any records. When we got out here today, the track was damp. We moved our marks back.”

Haynes turned on his overdrive gear to pull away from a bunched-up pack early on the anchor leg of the sprint relay. That enabled WO-S to run a 41.49 from lane 2 and easily outdistance Dallas Madison’s 41.95.  Texarkana Liberty-Eylau was third in 42.10.

While Thomas, Franks and Jones placed Haynes in a congested situation to win the 400-meter relay, Franks confronted a greater deficit to overcome in the 800-meter relay. The Mustangs senior had to rally from fourth to rescue the win from Liberty-Eylau in the final 75 meters, 1:26.74 to 1:27.01. Gladewater netted third (1:27.25).

“We knew we had a good chance of winning the relays,” Jones said. “I think I left a little bit early in the exchange zone (on the 400-meter relay handoff from Franks).

“On the hurdles, I had a bad takeoff and I was trying to work hard in the middle of the race. I dove (at the finish line) and did like a flip. Coach said if I had just kept on running through the finish, I might have won.

Dallas Madison’s Marquise Smith edged Jones in the 110s, 14.59 to 14.61.

A major key to the WO-S win in the 800-meter exchange was the ability of Roberts to get out quick enough on the first leg.

“This feels good (winning back-to-back team titles),” Roberts said. “I got out pretty good and I had somebody to push me and motivate me. It really seemed like if we did it last year, there was no reason why we couldn’t win it again this year.”

WO-S’ victories were Franks in the 100, Roberts-Thomas-Jones-Franks in the 800-meter relay, and Thomas-Franks-Jones-Haynes in the 400-meter relay.

The lone remaining area 3A win belonged to Silsbee’s girls in the 800-meter relay. Sprinter Ashley Johnson ripped around the curve on the anchor to team with Beatrice Douglas, Janeicia Myers and Cymone Toole for a 1:42.62. Silsbee’s victory margin looked a comfy five meters ahead of runner-up Lubbock Estacado in 1:43.14.

East Chambers’ Lindsey McDonald placed a solid fourth in girls 2A 300-meter hurdles, placing fourth with a time of 45.38. Woodville’s Shanequia Barlow captured bronze in the 400 meters, running  57.83.

On Friday, Little Cypress-Mauriceville sophomore Hayden Reed placed seventh in the discus with a toss of 155-11. He came back strong Friday night to throw the shot put 54-2 3/4 to just miss a edal by placing fourth. Francisco Brito won the shot put with a mark of 57-2 1/4 and Longview Pine Tree’s Brett Sharp won the discus with an effort of 179-10.

On Friday, Port Neches-Groves’ Dylan Richard nabbed second in the 4A high jump, leaping 6-8. Beaumont Central’s Jacoby Hale was eighth in the 4A 110-meter hurdles, finishing in 15.35.

High Island’s Mason Mounkes netted second in the 1A 110-meter hurdles, running it in 15.35.

Beaumont Ozen’s A’Lexus Brannon, no stranger to gold in Austin, captured the 4A long jump with a leap of 20-3. She came back later to dominate the triple, winning with style with a leap of 42-0 3/4.

In other Friday action, Buna’s Nicole Casper claimed the 2A pole vault with a great height of 11-9.

Ozen’s Dominique Brannon was fourth in the high jump, going 5-2.

Ozen’s Bealoved Brown was fourth in the 100 meters in 12.62 and also was fourth in the 200 meters at 24.53.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont