Provost Umphrey Stadium Renditions

Guest coachacola
Very nice!  The article says the stadium can be expanded to 28,000.  Originally they said 35K, but hopefully they'll expand it real soon.

[quote name="coachacola" post="799255" timestamp="1273281392"]
Very nice!  The article says the stadium can be expanded to 28,000.  Originally they said 35K, but hopefully they'll expand it real soon.
[/quote]

Been waiting to see these for a while.  I think that everyone is going to be real pleased with the new stadium.  It is really going to be 1st class.  Would also like to see the expansion plans.  I would say that 28k means no upper deck on the East side and probably no north end zone seating.  Hopefully they can make a complete bowl in the south end zone.  I hope a 28k stadium will support a move to a good FBS conference.  I would think that 35-40k would be much better.  If I remember right, I saw where someone on this board posted that Dr. Simmons said it could be expanded to 35k so if he really did say that I would think it is possible. At any rate, I hope that it is SRO for the first game 9/11/2010 at about 20k.  That would be a great start for LU football.  Thanks Greg Treml!

Guest coachacola
Here's how it's going to look from the top:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4588508829_4c3f6eb3eb.jpg[/img]

Here's my version of the stadium expanded to 28K:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4589129700_d6b9b07b87.jpg[/img]

[quote name="coachacola" post="799444" timestamp="1273325389"]
Here's how it's going to look from the top:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4588508829_4c3f6eb3eb.jpg[/img]

Here's my version of the stadium expanded to 28K:

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4589129700_d6b9b07b87.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. I don't see this going to two decks because of the proximity to the road. And they're not going to double deck the opposing teams side, unless Lamar moves that side to their home side.

No reason why the upper deck couldn't hang over the feeder road. It is an upper deck.
And enough room on the east side for an upper deck. I would put a few consessions
at the top of the upper deck so you dont have to miss the game.

Coach, I think you are on the right track but I think 28k is going to have be a complete bowl on the south endzone.  I think there is a little bit of a space issue with the new athletic complex but it is doable.  The extension's on both sides toward the Montagne is also a must.  If there is not room for an upper deck on the east side, you could go further up with the existing deck with some poeple ramps for higher entry to the stadium, and you might can do the same on the east side.  I would say if LU football really takes off, there will be some creative architectural design and engineering to expand the stadium to a capacity that gets close to 40K.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="799899" timestamp="1273448665"]
Coach, I think you are on the right track but I think 28k is going to have be a complete bowl on the south endzone.  I think there is a little bit of a space issue with the new athletic complex but it is doable.  The extension's on both sides toward the Montagne is also a must.  If there is not room for an upper deck on the east side, you could go further up with the existing deck with some poeple ramps for higher entry to the stadium, and you might can do the same on the east side.  I would say if LU football really takes off, there will be some creative architectural design and engineering to expand the stadium to a capacity that gets close to 40K.
[/quote]

I like what TX State did adding the covering behind the press box with the higher entrances to the stadium. It would add a great look to the outside of the stadium, and add some extra seats. All that matters right now is that Lamar wins right away.

Guest coachacola
If you look at the original layout, there's 5 1/2 sections on each side, so that comes out to about 1400 seats per section.  If you add a section on each end like I did in my layout, that increases capacity to 21,000.  Next add seats in the south end zone in front of the athletic complex and that's probably another 5,000 seats, maybe more if you wrap the stands around.  Now we're at 26K, maybe more.

In my layout I just extended the stands up for extra rows and left room for a larger pressbox and suites on both sides.  That would add around 4,000 seats plus they can add suites and club seats like they did at Texas State.  There's room on both sides for that.  I think without an upper deck maximum capacity would be around 30K.

I don't think they'll add upper decks, but if they do, they build low profile suites and pressbox and overhang the upper decks a liitle bit.  They would probably build them at a steeper angle, so that's about 5K on each side, with a total capacity around 35K.  There's a lot of stadiums that size in the Sun Belt, WAC, MAC and CUSA.

recap

new field house - incredible

seating area - basicly the same but redone for handicapped and all new seats. Nicer than before but no wow factor.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Pressbox - redone with hurricane money. I am sure it is alot nicer. Not sure if it is to the level of say SFA but I am sure it is nice.  Probably better than most SLC stadiums.

Suites - New and obviously better than not having them. I am sure it will be cool for the ones that get to use them. nice addition.

concessions - not sure of how many but has to be loads better than the couple of circular counters that were there before.

Rest Rooms - I am sure there are many new ones. Obviously better than before.

Intangibles - New gates and redew of cosmetic appearance. On drawings it looks great. Will be great improvement over what was there before.  Will have to wait and see once everything is complete on just how good it looks.

Playing surface - The field there was absolutely terrible. THis is not a surprise since no games (college) there in many years. New turf will look great. May look funny where the turf and grass meet on the hill

My wish list would include bowling in the Montagne side. Even if it was not high and basicly just filling in where the grassy area is. Would create a nicer football atmosphere. Eventually would love to see an upper deck on the chemical plant side. Mainly just to block the view.  ;DWould it be possible to put giant fans to blow away smell of plants also? ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="800062" timestamp="1273506367"]
Call me un-impressed.

Looks like Cardinal Stadium to me.
[/quote]I think it is more than lipstick on a stadium. If this was the final product,
I would be unimpressed too. But it's not. FBS makes it the tip of the iceberg.

• 2 weeks later...
Did some research on the WAC stadiums.  They range in capacity from 18k to 50k with 30k being the median.  An expanded Provost Umphrey to 28k would fit real nicely.  If it can be squeezed to 30k, then it will be on par with WAC/Conf USA/Sun Belt type stadiums.  Will definately need a upper level Press box/Suite faclility on the west side.  Go Cards!

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="804121" timestamp="1274471884"]
Coach Woodard is not a fan of the press box but they had to replace the old one with FEMA money. That's all they could do at the time. But they couldn't justify tearing down a brand new pressbox after designing the upgrades.
[/quote]

If the need to expand comes along, then they can justify either replacing it, or, I think there is enough room to put in a suite box with extra press facilities that is actually above the west stands and the existing press box.  The room issue is how much support area do you have between the feeder road and the stadium for that type of structure.  Would add volumes to an expanded stadium of 28-30k.

Guest coachacola
If they expand the stadium then they'll probably tear down the press box and build it bigger and better.  Some stadiums have a large multi-level press box, usually those without an upper deck (McNeese, Texas Tech).  Some have the press box the length of the stadium, even wrapping all the way around (Okie State).  Some have the press box hidden beneath the upper deck (UT).  LU has many options and will probably depend on stadium size and money.

[quote name="UNLV" post="804199" timestamp="1274480835"]
Maybe build new multi-story press box on the east side and turn old boxes into suites.
[/quote]

IMO this makes the most sense, not sure there is enough room between the stadium and feeder road to support a upper deck.  Build  a upper deck on the East side and new press box on top with suites and turn the west side press box into suites.  Could bowl the south endzone at the same level as the east/west stands until you get to the windows of the fieldhouse and then that section just high enough where it does not block the view from the offices.  Then they could fill in the gaps between the Montange like they did at Boone Pickens Stadium at Oklahoma State.

[quote name="Javelina" post="804209" timestamp="1274483721"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=69511.msg804199#msg804199 date=1274480835]
Maybe build new multi-story press box on the east side and turn old boxes into suites.
[/quote]

IMO this makes the most sense, not sure there is enough room between the stadium and feeder road to support a upper deck.  Build  a upper deck on the East side and new press box on top with suites and turn the west side press box into suites.  Could bowl the south endzone at the same level as the east/west stands until you get to the windows of the fieldhouse and then that section just high enough where it does not block the view from the offices.  Then they could fill in the gaps between the Montange like they did at Boone Pickens Stadium at Oklahoma State.
[/quote]

That's a great idea as long as they turn the East side into the home side. You can't have the visitor side looking that much better!

[quote name="AJ25" post="804395" timestamp="1274506114"]
[quote author=Javelina link=topic=69511.msg804209#msg804209 date=1274483721]
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a great idea as long as they turn the East side into the home side. You can't have the visitor side looking that much better!
[/quote]If we support LU like we should, there will be no visitors side.

[quote name="Javelina" post="804209" timestamp="1274483721"]
[/quote]

IMO this makes the most sense, not sure there is enough room between the stadium and feeder road to support a upper deck.  [/quote]
Can't a top engineering school figure something out.

[quote name="UNLV" post="804417" timestamp="1274532962"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=69511.msg804395#msg804395 date=1274506114]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats how i see it too............there should be so many LU fans at the games it shouldn't matter what side is the home side!!!

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="804484" timestamp="1274551986"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=69511.msg804417#msg804417 date=1274532962]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=69511.msg804395#msg804395 date=1274506114]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats how i see it too............there should be so many LU fans at the games it shouldn't matter what side is the home side!!!
[/quote]

Hopefully fans show regardless of outcomes of games. This place has to be rockin every Saturday... The louder it is the more tough it will be for an opposing team to come in and play them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder