The decision about the Beaumont's new athletic complex absolutely blows my mind.

"The Carrol A. 'Butch' Thomas Educational Support Center." Seriously?
That anyone even considered naming a stadium after Thomas is absolutely ridiculous. The man has done next to nothing for the district aside from raising his own salary and funding the construction of an athletic complex [i]named after himself.[/i] It seems like any sane, non-blackmailed board member would have recognized the idiocy of dedicating the stadium to a man whose career within the district has neither had anything to do with sports nor even ENDED yet. He could make a million giant mistakes for the rest of his time as superintendent, but there will still be a freaking athletic complex named after him. The community should have had a say in the decision.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we agree on this.  Let us not blame Dr. Thomas--he's been successful in his personal career.  I hold the entire board responsible for furthering the healing and progress of our community.  And I mean our community. I believe our community desires to come together, but its leadership continues to screw up with their lust for power.  Shame on this board of trustees and people, we are responsible to let them know this.  Do not be afraid to tell them that you are looking for a better person to do their job.  They had to know that this would not be popular.  But they did it anyway.  We are living in a society where the public concensus is no longer important.  Again, shame on this board of trustees --shame shame and shame.

Ahhhh what short memories CBT haters seem to have.  I remember BISD being all over Ch. 6 news every Thursday night back in the early 90's with cars lined up all around the building with people voicing their concerns and anger over attendance zones, etc.  Back then the crybabies from the West End was wanting 'neighborhood schools'.  CBT came in and not only had a sound attendance plan(the elementaries were back to K-5 before or right when he got here), but simplified the middle and high school zones and unloaded West Brook by creating Ozen.  Now the whining is over South Park which the majority of the crybabies don't even live there anymore plus how the and the pace of the schools are being built.  Well, I'm in favor of CBT's name being on the stadium complex.  All outsiders should hush and worry about their own and all West End crybabies should either vote their reps on the school board out or move.....

[quote name="SFA85" post="791584" timestamp="1271532885"]
Ahhhh what short memories CBT haters seem to have.  I remember BISD being all over Ch. 6 news every Thursday night back in the early 90's with cars lined up all around the building with people voicing their concerns and anger over attendance zones, etc.  Back then the crybabies from the West End was wanting 'neighborhood schools'.  CBT came in and not only had a sound attendance plan(the elementaries were back to K-5 before or right when he got here), but simplified the middle and high school zones and unloaded West Brook by creating Ozen.  Now the whining is over South Park which the majority of the crybabies don't even live there anymore plus how the and the pace of the schools are being built.  Well, I'm in favor of CBT's name being on the stadium complex.  All outsiders should hush and worry about their own and all West End crybabies should either vote their reps on the school board out or move.....
[/quote]

Careful what you ask for.  If all the West End "crybabies" move, there will be nobody left to pay for the new stuff.

The main problem I have with the naming is the loss of revenue.  They could have sold the naming rights to the complex and then named the field after him if that is what they decided to do.  Motiva, Goodyear, etc probably would have paid money to have their name on the complex.  Poor thinking by the board.

[quote name="sig220" post="791695" timestamp="1271599067"]
The main problem I have with the naming is the loss of revenue.  They could have sold the naming rights to the complex and then named the field after him if that is what they decided to do.  Motiva, Goodyear, etc probably would have paid money to have their name on the complex.  Poor thinking by the board.
[/quote]

Very good point.  I believe the naming rights would have capable of bringing in serious dollars because of the location on I-10.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but selling the name "Ford Park" generated some much needed revenue for the county.

[quote name="SFA85" post="791584" timestamp="1271532885"]
[/quote]
Sir, what is wrong with us that live in the West end.  You use harsh terms such as haters and then call us cry babies.  Your post stereotypes an entire portion of the community of which is actually now quite diverse in its ethnicity.  Is this not a form of blind prejudice.  Would living in harmony and getting along with our neighbors be a threat to you? I refuse to stereotype you and your community. 

[quote name="sig220" post="791695" timestamp="1271599067"]
[/quote]

The current name of the stadium does not foreclose the opportunity for naming rights to be sold.  If one of those companies offered money for the naming rights, I think the name would be changed in a heartbeat and I don't believe that anyone in BISD, including Dr. Thomas himself, would oppose that at all.

But naming rights for high school facilities are a lot more rare than their new pro counterparts.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="791727" timestamp="1271605330"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=68741.msg791584#msg791584 date=1271532885]
[/quote]
Sir, what is wrong with us that live in the West end.  You use harsh terms such as haters and then call us cry babies.  Your post stereotypes an entire portion of the community of which is actually now quite diverse in its ethnicity.  Is this not a form of blind prejudice.  Would living in harmony and getting along with our neighbors be a threat to you? I refuse to stereotype you and your community. 

[/quote]

Being in the middle of the situation and having kids in BISD and knowing it's history of shortchanging the Non-Westenders, y'all are a bunch of whiners......

[quote name="SgtRey" post="791817" timestamp="1271635754"]
I don't get it....west end haters?  SFA 85 where do you live?  your speaking to a bunch of us whinners when you speak of the "West End".. ;D
[/quote]

Right by the tracks on 90.  So I'm in the center of the controversy so to speak

[quote name="SFA85" post="791803" timestamp="1271633735"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68741.msg791727#msg791727 date=1271605330]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=68741.msg791584#msg791584 date=1271532885]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Being in the middle of the situation and having kids in BISD and knowing it's history of shortchanging the Non-Westenders, y'all are a bunch of whiners......
[/quote]

I haven't been around long enough to experience the whole history, but I have been here over 20 years and in that time, the west end has definitely not gotten the long end of the stick.  While computers were passed out in other parts of town, we in the west end had to do fundraisers to get them.  I remember when Regina Howell got new basketball goals.  Turns out they were taken down from another part of town when they got new ones.

Truth is, in the last 20 years, it is the west end that has gotten  short changed because the admin knows that we will do whatever it takes to raise our own money.  And honestly, that's fine with me.  Just don't come on here whining with the poor little me song.  Those days have been over for some time.

And frankly, this has nothing to do with the naming of the complex.  It was a bad idea not because Thomas has done a bad job, but because it only leads to more acrimony, which we really don't need right now.

You speak of computers and basketball goals.  I speak of busing patterns, textbooks, school history(demolishing Charlton Pollard), textbooks, segregation et al.  I've only been in Beaumont since '91 but I saw the whole thing from Port Arthur growing up......

I know when the district merge and how long each school existed.  I blame those who were in power when Beaumont had 2 school districts and after the merger.  It is what it is.  Back on topic:  Congrats to CBT making those haters mad.....

[quote name="SFA85" post="791880" timestamp="1271680052"]
I know when the district merge and how long each school existed.  I blame those who were in power when Beaumont had 2 school districts and after the merger.  It is what it is.  Back on topic:  Congrats to CBT making those haters mad.....
[/quote]

If CBT was white, your whole attitude would be different.

SFA 85 you seem so angry for a person who voluntarily moved here from PA. How bout what they did to our old district. By the way i dont care that they named the stadium after thomas because of the things he did. I think it was the wrong moved because people are devided about it and the community, who is paying for this, has no say. If they would have voted this that would be great. Beaumont still ahs yet to really come together and until they do the success here will always be limited.

PS I know some west enders to and they dont all whine i think we are generalizing.

[quote name="PNGFan" post="791968" timestamp="1271693748"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=68741.msg791880#msg791880 date=1271680052]
[/quote]

If CBT was white, your whole attitude would be different.
[/quote]

:o

This is really sad...
Having grown up in Port Neches, and watching how BISD and South Park were desegregated in the 80's....
It is just sad....
IMO....
The color of you skin in BISD (from the students all the way up to the superintendant) is used for good and bad, it is used to place you in enriched classes (they have to balance the numbers) it is used sometimes to place starters on athletic teams (lord help the coach that only had one color starting) it is used in hiring and moving teachers from one school to the other.
Just ask a coach who plays a BISD team, when picking officials the color of your skin is also a necessity.
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE DREAM!!!
"One day my children will grow up in a country where they are judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin!!!!!"
Have we forgotten those words.
When travelling to Beaumont still....
It is just sad that people can't judge one another by character and talent, the color of your skin is used, that is just wrong!
I doubt racial harmony happens in Beaumont before my life time ends...
There is a lot of history that has happened in Beaumont and the people there just can't get the skeletons out of the closets.