Roc picks up 2 big commitments

Guest mffl

Devon Lamb (6'2 SG) was committed to UH, but I guess with TP out there, he and his teammate Brandon Davis (6'5 SF) have decided to take their skills here.

Devon Lamb led the Region 5 conference in scoring with 27 ppg while also getting 11 boards a game. Davis was 2nd while averaging 20 ppg. They also shot the 3 ball well, both averaging over 40%.

Strong additions to the recruiting class.

Edit: After a little more research, Lamb was a Juco All American, finished the year with the highest scoring average in Junior college Div. 1, while Davis ended the year finishing with the 15th highest scoring average. [b]HUGE [/b]pickups for Roc!!

Guest coachacola
I hope you're right mffl!  Here's a little info about Lamb from the Houston Chronicle dated Feb 16th:

[quote]In case you missed it because I posted it with a blog item on Monday about UH hiring Lee Hays as a graduate assistant, the basketball team landed a commitment from a high-scoring junior college guard.

Devon Lamb, a 6-2 guard from from Southwestern Christian College in Terrell, is the nation's leading junior college scorer. Lamb was averaging 28 points and ranked ninth in the nation in rebounding (11.3), 14th in steals (3.0) and 26th in assists (5.3), according to the latest National Junior College Athletic Association statistics.

And that's not taking into the account a yet-to-be-tabulated, 52-point performance Saturday in a 121-113 defeat against Temple College on Saturday. Lamb said he opted for UH over Wichita State and Detroit (coached by former UH coach Ray McCallum).

"They have a good offense," Lamb said. "They're a fast-paced team, and that's when I can get my offense going. I can keep going on transition, keep scoring.

"The school is hard. It will make me go harder in school work."

Lamb played high school basketball at nationally ranked Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Fla. He is shooting 57 percent from the field and has a 117-57 assist-to-turnover ratio.

"My style of play is shooting threes, getting to the hole and creating offense for me team," Lamb said. "I always wanted to be in Houston. it's a good fit for me. It's real big down there, so I really like it."[/quote]

http://blogs.chron.com/cougars/2010/02/

Here's a link to their JUCO stats: http://www.jucoathletics.com/njcaa_stats.php?sport=mbb&region=5

Looks like the both can shoot 3-pointers.  Davis made 111 out of 232 (47.8%), while Lamb made 40 out of 101 (45%).  If these guys actually sign with LU then maybe the team can score some points next year.

Devon Lamb

High School Resume:

Named Dairy Farmers Class 2A basketball player of the year as a senior.....Named Times-Union All-First Coast boys basketball player of the year....Was voted MVP of Class 2A 2007 state tournament, and made the all-tournament team the past two years..... Named to Class 2A all-state first team this year, third team in 2006.... Finished as the city's second-leading scorer (22.7 ppg) and rebounder (14.1 rpg).... Averaged 14.7 yards per run and 33.1 yards per catch in senior season for football team..... one of Jacksonville, FL most versatile athletes in several years

Quote: "If I had a choice, I would go for the NFL," said Lamb, who would like to gain 20 pounds before the start of football season. "In basketball nowadays, you need to be 6-7, 6-8, 6-9, and I'm only 6-1. In football, the receivers are generally 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, and the cornerbacks are usually under 6 feet. I'm confident that I can outjump any cornerback for the ball."

"He's an outstanding basketball player and gets more done at his size than anybody in the state," ACD Head Coach Rex Morgan said. "But the best thing is to have watched him grow as a person, and from an academic standpoint, since he arrived here. The best thing is that he's going on to college to get his education; that's the main thing. And then one day, I hope he is in the NBA or NFL and fulfills his dream"

Last year, he was named Region 5 Freshman of the Year.....this past season, he was named Offensive Player of the Year

[quote name="hipster" post="787446" timestamp="1270685667"]
Now i know this must be true but how can these guys go to LU with everything out there.  something is not kosher
[/quote]

$$$$... NOT!

Roc is a questioned Head Coach, but he has never been a questioned recruiter. He won the [b]co[/b]-conference championship with JUCO players, here's to hoping he can do it again!

I think Roc can do good.  He reminds me of Scott Drew when he was starting out at Baylor.  It took Scott Drew from 2003-2008 to pull a magic trick out of his butt.  This is a learning experience.  Too me i think it will take a year or two longer being in the Southland conference to recruit better players.  You have Scott Drew from last year that went man to man the whole year, and then he learned how to use the Zone with his players in the Big 12 tourney, and the NIT tourney.  It is a matter of learning what gels best, and hopefully Roc learns what is best.  I think more than anything else he needs his players to trust each other, and learn each other.  More than anything else this team he is pulling together must have a bond, or there is nothing.  You need to pull in what will work best in your system, and i think he will learn next your with the young gentlemen he has coming in.  Your play designs won't work unless everyone has a feel for everyone, and figure out what is the best moment and place for the ball.  When you have players who truly trust you, and what you are doing you can go far.  I think Roc is on the cusp.  I wish Lamar would have a true strength and training program for basketball.  These players need fast twitched workouts to go along with whatever else they are doing to loosen them up.  Every time i see them they just seem too tense. Injuries are a cause of not being too flexible.    These two players if signed are a huge start.  Hopefully it is what he needs for the team.  There is my two cents.

P.S.  I am Scott and i am glad to join you guys on here.  Basketball is king right now, but cheers to football in the next 4 and a half months.

Hopefully those two players are very good.  If he can't figure out how to make the team gel next year though all is for lost with a few more wins under their belt than last year.  I just hope he is looking for basketball IQ more than bulk points and boards. If anything for bulk he needs someone who can command the offensive boards.  Second chance points are very helpful in a hard fought game.

Guest coachacola
If Roc signs these two guys then either some of the earlier commitments are not coming and/or some guys from this year's team won't be on the team next year.  Nabors, Hall and Nwevo all graduated, we know that for sure.  Lynch, Kyser, Smith and Harris were the early commits so are they all still coming to Lamar?  And there's the two redshirt freshmen from Pflugerville, will they be on the team next year?  And finally there's the PG from Arizona (Nuno) who had citizenship problems and couldn't come to Lamar, but ESPN still has him coming next year.  Looks like a lot of changes to the roster for next year (which probably isn't a bad thing).

[quote name="coachacola" post="787577" timestamp="1270732699"]
If Roc signs these two guys then either some of the earlier commitments are not coming and/or some guys from this year's team won't be on the team next year.  Nabors, Hall and Nwevo all graduated, we know that for sure.  Lynch, Kyser, Smith and Harris were the early commits so are they all still coming to Lamar?  And there's the two redshirt freshmen from Pflugerville, will they be on the team next year?  And finally there's the PG from Arizona (Nuno) who had citizenship problems and couldn't come to Lamar, but ESPN still has him coming next year.  Looks like a lot of changes to the roster for next year (which probably isn't a bad thing).
[/quote]

Rivals has these 2 guys (who just committed yesterday), Lynch, Kyser, Smith, and Harris.

So 6 commits. No idea who is out of a schollie, hope Lynch is still coming though.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="787626" timestamp="1270740024"]
We have any confirmation on these guys? I hope so. But I would like hear Roc say it or see some kind of legit proof before I get kind of excited.
[/quote]
Rivals juco site (jucojunction.com) has an article today about these two commiting to an SLC school. Sorry can't read the whole article, not a member.

We need shooters and it appears they can booth shoot.

Guest coachacola
Hopefully Brandon Davis will be a Currye Todd type player, a big guard with a great outside shot.  You never know how good these JUCO players will be but at least Roc is actually bringing in guys who can score, like he did when he brought in Todd, Hopkins and Dawkins.

From Chad Cooper (The Examiner):

Roc adds two JUCO standouts

Team gets JUCO All-American

Lamar men's basketball coach Steve Roccaforte landed two big recruits this week including the nation's leading JUCO scorer in Devon Lamb. He and Southwestern Community College teammate Brandon Davis have committed to play for the Cardinals this fall.

Lamb, a 6-2 shooting guard, led the JUCO nation averaging 27.7 points per game and was 13th in rebounding with 11.0 per game. He also shot 40-101 (.396) from 3-point range and was recently named to the NJCAA All-American Team. The sophomore originally committed to the University of Houston over Wichita State and Detroit, but withdrew his commitment when Tom Penders resigned. Lamb, born in Jacksonville, Fla., played high school basketball at national powerhouse Arlington Country Day.

Davis, a 6-6 guard, was 15th in the nation in scoring with 20.7 points per game. Like Lamb, Davis had the stroke behind the arc, hitting on 111-of-232 attempts, which ranked fifth in the country. Davis also ranked 11th from the charity stripe, shooting 109-129 (.844), and ranked 18th in assists per night, dishing out 5.7. Davis was also born in Jacksonville but prepped at Edward H. White High School.

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="787480" timestamp="1270691592"]
Devon Lamb

High School Resume:

Named Dairy Farmers Class 2A basketball player of the year as a senior.....Named Times-Union All-First Coast boys basketball player of the year....Was voted MVP of Class 2A 2007 state tournament, and made the all-tournament team the past two years..... Named to Class 2A all-state first team this year, third team in 2006.... Finished as the city's second-leading scorer (22.7 ppg) and rebounder (14.1 rpg).... [b][size=14pt]Averaged 14.7 yards per run and 33.1 yards per catch in senior season for football team..... one of Jacksonville, FL most versatile athletes in several years[/size][/b]
Quote: "If I had a choice, I would go for the NFL," said Lamb, who would like to gain 20 pounds before the start of football season. "In basketball nowadays, you need to be 6-7, 6-8, 6-9, and I'm only 6-1. In football, the receivers are generally 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, and the cornerbacks are usually under 6 feet. I'm confident that I can outjump any cornerback for the ball."

[/quote]

Coach Woodard might have his eyes on this guy too!!!

Guest coachacola
The HOOPSCOOP Online rates Lamb and Davis a 4 and 3, respectively:

29.    LAMAR (17 Points)..........7 Recruits..........2.4 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Southland Conference..........(4) Devon Lamb, 6'2, 2G, Southwestern Christian (JC) TX; (3) Brandon Davis, 6'6, WF, Southwestern Christian (JC) TX; (2) Tre Lynch, 6'1, PG, Lancaster (H.S.) TX; (2) Michale Kyser, 6'8, PF, Lancaster (H.S.) TX; (2) Nuno Muandaumba, 5'10, PG, Phoenix (Westwind Prep) AZ; (2) Demetris Smith, 6'4, WF, Pflugerville (H.S.) TX; (2) Darius Harris, 6'7, PF, Port Arthur (Memorial) TX. 

As far talent ratings go, SFA, Texas State and A&M-CC are right up there with Lamar:

93.    STEPHEN F. AUSTIN (9 Points)..........4 Recruits..........2.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Southland Conference..........(3) Antonio Bostic, 6'2, 2G, Neosho County (JC) KS; (2) Darius Gardner, 5'9, PG, Houston (Yates) TX; (2) J.J. Thomas, 6'5, WF, Baton Rouge (Scotlandville) LA; (2) Amos Olatayo, 6'4, 2G, Alief (Alief-Elsik) TX.

100.  TEXAS STATE (8 Points)..........3 Recruits..........2.7 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit..........Southland Conference..........(3) Reid Koenen, 6'7, WF, Racine (Prairie School) WI; (3) Stevie Rogers, 5'11, PG, Wallingford (Choate Rosemary Hill) CT; (2) David Hahn, 7'0, C, Meriden (Kimball Union Academy) NH

100.    TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI (8 Points).......... 3 Recruits..........2.7 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit...........Southland Conference..........(3) Chris Mast, 6'5, 2G,  Eastern Utah (JC) UT; (3) Devon Usher, 6'5, WF, Baltimore (Digital Harbor) MD; (2) Darrell Edwards, 6'4, 2G, Baltimore (Dunbar) MD.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/toprecruitingclasses-classof2010.asp

[quote name="coachacola" post="787577" timestamp="1270732699"]
[/quote]

This puts LU at 7 new recruits. 3 seniors leaving means 4 others have to go. Not sure who would be the ones to leave but my guess is Dante Lopez just sticks with football only. We have several new guards coming in that would probably put him at the bottom of the depth chart and football playing real games now I don't see him back. Also I dont look for Justin Carter to be back. He has been on the bench for 2 years now. I dont see him ever playing... That would leave 2 roster spots for people to fight for. And when players are fighting for a spot the practices seem to be a lot more competitive and thats how you get better.

I've got to think Mathis and Davis won't be back--they barely played and would both be around only one more year anyway. 

From the following link,
http://coachbobbybossman.blogspot.com/2009/10/4-nuno-muandumba.html
it doesn't appear that Nuno is coming either--although there's a chance he "re-committed" after this blog post was made.

Lopez was a walk-on, right?  Does he matter?  I know there's a scholarship limit--is there a roster limit as well?

Getting some legit scorers in could really make a difference for this team.  I just hope Lamb and Davis actually make it to the roster, we've had other prospects magically "disappear" before the year.

Guest coachacola
Looking at the roster I think there's about 8 or 9 guys on scholarship for next year.  I think Roc can give out 13 total, so that's about 4 or 5 schollies he can give.  I doubt all 7 commitments are coming, so Roc will probably find a way to get the best guys suited up for next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• Let’s see if joe biden’s words about no one is above the law, made after the rigged trial of President Trump, rings true with his po💩son.  Hopefully, but I’m not going to hold my breath, they put the sorry sob in prison.
    • I liked his no bull crap attitude. He was a man of very few words. Extremely strong and freaky athletic!!! As close as possible to being the best offensive lineman to ever play the game. I hope his family finds peace without him!!! RIP #73
    • Chester, a small town in NE Tyler County.  A town that is seeing growth with the addition of a national chain store and a new school being built.  If you travel 287 toward Dallas from the Golden Triangle you have probably passed through Chester.  Things tend to stay pretty consistent and it is your typical small town.   A trip to state is the buzz around town, and the talk before church services begin on Sunday.  This year’s graduating class will number 11.  We don’t have a radio station that covers the Yellowjackets.  We are never a lead story on any of the news stations that broadcast to our community. With all that said, there is a closeness and sense of pride in our community.  Every community rallies behind their kids as they progress into the playoffs.  We are proud of our boys as they have represented our community well and with class. We invite you to follow our boys as they go to state.  We welcome the greater SETX communities as honorary Yellowjackets.  Tune in, watch live or come to Round Rock personally and join us in supporting the Chester Yellowjackets.  Go ‘Jackets!!! ⚾️💜💛⚾️🟣🟡⚾️💜💛⚾️
    • UNC wins in 10.  Great game.  
  • Topics