WO-S Superintendent

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="789575" timestamp="1271168806"]
Just out of curiosity, why was Coach Thompson "forced" to resign in 1998?
[/quote]

I don't quite know the details, but I do recall that it was not a pleasant parting for Coach Thompson from the baseball team.

td, you have fastened on the point I was trying to make.  My words were not intended to lay any past problems with the baseball team at Coach Thompson's feet.  He was one of many quality coaches who either decided to or were not allowed to stay long enough to establish a program that Coach Anderson had.  My sole fear is that would occur to the athletic program if given to someone who may only be around for 1-2 more years....some have said I am wrong in my assessment and that if given the job, Coach Thompson will be around longer....I guess we'll all see someday. 

[quote name="texasstud28" post="789521" timestamp="1271158173"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=67848.msg783260#msg783260 date=1269785450]
One the reasons that the WO-S baseball program used to be the best was that Ronnie Anderson was there forever.  Once he left, a virtual revolving door of coaches (including Coach Thompson) left the baseball program in shambles to the point where it has seen success only recently with the revival under Coach Jesse Riojas. 
Recall that Coach Thompson did have his opportunities as the head man (head football at Palestine and head baseball coach at West Orange-Stark) and from what I understand, found both experiences pretty bitter ones.  [/quote]
Ronnie Anderson's retirement was not the reason for WOS' declining baseball program.  If you recall, Jerry Nichols took over and later resigned after the 1994 season, due to health issues.  Basically, he was forced out because the team was loaded with talent and yet, they finished around 15-15 or 14-15, etc.  Lots of talent but too many selfish players.  Coach Thompson took over in 1995 and the Mustangs won their own Certa-Bearden Tournament, won district, and finished 24-5.  Brenham beat them in the area round of the playoffs.  John Patterson was terrific that year, but here's the most impressive stat of all: every senior that played on the 1995 team has earned a college degree.  One I'm not real sure of, but here's the list: McDonald, Sellars, Bates,Thompson, Shugart, Fuqa, Caillier, etc.  Forgive me if I've left someone out.  
Coach Thompson was forced to resign in 1998, but the talent pool, in just three years, went from great to below average. What you stated about the "virtual revolving door of coaches...." leaving the baseball program in shambles is totally inaccurate and ridiculous.  Did Sam Moore and Stephen Westbrook "leave the baseball program in shambles?" No.  
[/quote]

I know this is off topic but I thought Sanchez beat Patterson in play in game when Patterson was senior.  Maybe that was Pattersons jr year.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="789609" timestamp="1271173723"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=67848.msg789575#msg789575 date=1271168806]
[/quote]

I don't quite know the details, but I do recall that it was not a pleasant parting for Coach Thompson from the baseball team.

td, you have fastened on the point I was trying to make.  My words were not intended to lay any past problems with the baseball team at Coach Thompson's feet.  He was one of many quality coaches who either decided to or were not allowed to stay long enough to establish a program that Coach Anderson had.  My sole fear is that would occur to the athletic program if given to someone who may only be around for 1-2 more years....some have said I am wrong in my assessment and that if given the job, Coach Thompson will be around longer....I guess we'll all see someday. 
[/quote] Coach Thompson would have stayed at least 8 years if wouldnt have been passed up.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="789609" timestamp="1271173723"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=67848.msg789575#msg789575 date=1271168806]
[/quote]

[/quote]

We will see. The way things are going I'm not so sure we will see. However I think we should see. Not sure Coach will be given the opportunity. I think if he isn't that it will be the biggest travesty ever at WOS sports.

[quote name="td" post="790061" timestamp="1271252478"]
We will see. The way things are going I'm not so sure we will see. However I think we should see. Not sure Coach will be given the opportunity. I think if he isn't that it will be the biggest travesty ever at WOS sports.
[/quote]
Coach T not only has the greatest football knowledge on the defensive side of the football in the state of Texas, but he is also one of the best disciplinarians I have ever played for.

Ask any teacher at the high school about the students' behavior while he was at Palestine.  I GUARANTEE there is not one teacher that will tell you the students acted in the same manner when he was/is there.

I am against the superintendent/school board making up this position.  If it is for academics only, there is no need.  Maybe the other coaches need to instill an academic "program" like the football team uses.  I would bet the farm the failure rate for football players is a lot lower than every other sport.  Some may say football players are "handed" their grades, but that is not true.

On the other hand, my gut feeling is the superintendent wants someone with a little power other than a football coach.  IMO he probably thinks the football program trumps all other athletics.

[quote name="woshigh" post="792889" timestamp="1271866140"]
[quote author=td link=topic=67848.msg790061#msg790061 date=1271252478]
[/quote]
Coach T not only has the greatest football knowledge on the defensive side of the football in the state of Texas, but he is also one of the best disciplinarians I have ever played for.

Ask any teacher at the high school about the students' behavior while he was at Palestine.  I GUARANTEE there is not one teacher that will tell you the students acted in the same manner when he was/is there.

I am against the superintendent/school board making up this position.  If it is for academics only, there is no need.  Maybe the other coaches need to instill an academic "program" like the football team uses.  I would bet the farm the failure rate for football players is a lot lower than every other sport.  Some may say football players are "handed" their grades, but that is not true.

On the other hand, my gut feeling is the superintendent wants someone with a little power other than a football coach.  IMO he probably thinks the football program trumps all other athletics.
[/quote] GREAT POST!!!

Just heard the super sent all the kids at the middle school home on the bus while a killer is at large in the city of Orange.  Is this true?   They let the kids "run" to the bus and then the bus takes off.  What if the guy tries to jump on one of the buses when the bus stops to let the kids off at their bus stop or homes?  Another brilliant move.  I thought lock-down meant NOBODY COMES or GOES!!!!  Geezzz!

[quote name="w" post="793062" timestamp="1271883751"]
Just heard the super sent all the kids at the middle school home on the bus while a killer is at large in the city of Orange.  Is this true?   They let the kids "run" to the bus and then the bus takes off.  What if the guy tries to jump on one of the buses when the bus stops to let the kids off at their bus stop or homes?  Another brilliant move.  I thought lock-down meant NOBODY COMES or GOES!!!!  Geezzz!
[/quote]

:o

[quote name="w" post="793062" timestamp="1271883751"]
Just heard the super sent all the kids at the middle school home on the bus while a killer is at large in the city of Orange.  [b]Is this true? [/b]   They let the kids "run" to the bus and then the bus takes off.  What if the guy tries to jump on one of the buses when the bus stops to let the kids off at their bus stop or homes?  Another brilliant move.  I thought lock-down meant NOBODY COMES or GOES!!!!  Geezzz!
[/quote]

Could it be this?

From staff reports
Orange Leader
4-21-2010

ORANGE — A manhunt is underway for the man who assaulted the owner of Mickey McNamara Insurance agency and his receptionist.

According to Capt. Sparky Robinson of the Orange Police Department, a black man walked into the insurance agency located on Green Ave. about 1:20 p.m. and asked for money.

He then assaulted the victims with a blunt object. The man then fled the scene. One of the victims was transported by helicopter to the hospital while the other was transported by ambulance. Both are said to have received serious injuries.

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="793070" timestamp="1271885020"]
[quote author=w link=topic=67848.msg793062#msg793062 date=1271883751]
Just heard the super sent all the kids at the middle school home on the bus while a killer is at large in the city of Orange.  [b]Is this true? [/b]   They let the kids "run" to the bus and then the bus takes off.  What if the guy tries to jump on one of the buses when the bus stops to let the kids off at their bus stop or homes?  Another brilliant move.  I thought lock-down meant NOBODY COMES or GOES!!!!  Geezzz!
[/quote]

Could it be this?

From staff reports
Orange Leader
4-21-2010

ORANGE — A manhunt is underway for the man who assaulted the owner of Mickey McNamara Insurance agency and his receptionist.

According to Capt. Sparky Robinson of the Orange Police Department, a black man walked into the insurance agency located on Green Ave. about 1:20 p.m. and asked for money.

He then assaulted the victims with a blunt object. The man then fled the scene. One of the victims was transported by helicopter to the hospital while the other was transported by ambulance. Both are said to have received serious injuries.

[/quote]

Yes, and one of them has passed away

as "charles bronson" as this may sound we have to take orange back! how much longer will law abiding citizens sit back and watch this go on and do nothing? its getting to the point all you here about is crime in orange. someone needs to make a messy example out of one of these pieces of trash in public!      >:( >:( >:(

mr.mcnamara was a great man.... :'(

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="venom33" post="793122" timestamp="1271891576"]
as "charles bronson" as this may sound we have to take orange back! how much longer will law abiding citizens sit back and watch this go on and do nothing? its getting to the point all you here about is crime in orange. someone needs to make a messy example out of one of these pieces of trash in public!      >:( >:( >:(

mr.mcnamara was a great man.... :'(
[/quote]

concealed hand gun license. Get it why you can.

• 4 weeks later...
MR SUPERITENDENT. i know you read these post ,so  now you can go knock on coach thompson door and give him the job.there are alot of people in orange,west orange, and pinehurst and other coaches around these parts that would tell you that is the way it should have been in the first place,now go do your thing sir be a MAN not a MOUSE ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012

• That was an awesome video!  I feel so proud of these young men.  They proved the doubters wrong.  Bellville should be proud, too.  I know it didn't end like they had hoped, but we've been there, so we can definitely empathize with them.  Great season, Brahmas!
    • Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 
    • Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job. WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years. Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 
    • 5A Bi-District Baseball: Friendswood vs. Nederland -Game 1: Thursday (May 2): 6:30pm -Game 2: Friday (May 3): 6:30pm -Game 3 (If Needed): Saturday (May 4): 12pm *All games at Goose Creek Memorial HS*
    • Baseball mafia can cry all they want but when the talent isn’t there it ain’t there lol
  • Topics