WO-S Superintendent

[quote name="kicker" post="783764" timestamp="1269900066"]
WOCCISD is running everyone out of the district.

I guess it may be time to finally put both arms in that Orange and White t-shirt my wife bought me. :'(

[/quote] Like i said earlier there will be more than just fans moving on!!!!!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="hipster" post="783783" timestamp="1269902935"]
Just wondering how a school of this size would need 2 ad's.  Is this one for boy's and one for girl's?
[/quote]

Hooks is the AD and Newton is asst. AD in waiting while Coach T seats there wondering what more he needs to do to become AD @ WO-S.  ??? ??? ???

Coach T has laid positive ground work not only in hundreds of young mens lives throughout the years but also in the district and community. Hes respected statewide and knows WOS inside and out... Who better?

Its almost like sabotage.   :'( :'( :'(

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="783260" timestamp="1269785450"]
Okay, before I start there are a couple of things:  I love what Cornel Thompson has done for the West Orange-Cove CISD and I believe he would be a wonderful AD if ever selected for the job and would be a good candidate for assistant AD.  That being said:

1.  Tabbing Coach Thompson as the heir to Coach Hooks at this point and time would be a foolish thing.  As both men are around the same age, I don't see Coach Thompson hanging around the coaching ranks much longer than Coach Hooks.  In fact, as I have said many times, my belief is that the two men will retire about the same time.  Even if they don't, Coach Thompson would probably be a one or two year replacement at most, rendering him basically a transitional coach and AD.  One of the reasons that programs at WO-S have done well is stability.  Three members of the football coaching staff (Hooks, Thompson and Mark Foreman) have been there since I was in junior high.  One the reasons that the WO-S baseball program used to be the best was that Ronnie Anderson was there forever.  Once he left, a virtual revolving door of coaches (including Coach Thompson) left the baseball program in shambles to the point where it has seen success only recently with the revival under Coach Jesse Riojas.  Why would you have the keys turned over to a person who probably doesn't have teaching in his long range plans?  I am quite sure that this is what Dr. Collins had in mind when he tabbed Coach Newton as the assistant AD.  Coach Newton, a man who does have some roots in Orange who does have a commitment to the program long term.

2.  Why would we think that Coach Thompson would want the position?  Recall that Coach Thompson did have his opportunities as the head man (head football at Palestine and head baseball coach at West Orange-Stark) and from what I understand, found both experiences pretty bitter ones.  Not to say that Coach Thompson isn't ambitious, but these past experiences may have lent Coach Thompson to be content with the position he has right now!

There are plenty of things to blame Dr. Collins for in his tenure as superintendent, but I don't think this is one of them.
[/quote]

If he is being paid as the rumors speak of and has been taken out of the classroom then he is to blame but not just him but the school board as well. Remember we didn't have money to bus kids and now we apparently have the money to pay 2 AD's and hire someone to do the job that Coach Newton was hired to do. Don't get me wrong I love what he has done with the basketball program and I think he has done nothing wrong at all. Dr. Collins can't do these things without board approval as I understand it.

[quote name="skipper" post="783266" timestamp="1269787903"]
have you seen the new  school thay built off MLK drive ,if bigger than the hight school.thompson has given his heart and soul to the kids at wo-s and he is a class person on and off the field. coach thompson is one of the best coaches in this great state of ours hands down .as for the school board most of them not all are a bunch of nuts that is what i told some of them last year on the busing deal and all i got was from them was a go to heck look
[/quote]

Isn't that what you would expect to get when you tell someone they are nuts???????????

[quote name="w" post="783268" timestamp="1269788246"]
Also, WOS grad, it's obvious that you are a fan of Coach Anderson and that's ok but the baseball program was not left in "shambles" by Coach T or his closest successors.  It's only been in about the last 6 years that the program has not been competitive.  (Not that the baseball situation has anything to do with the subject at hand.)
[/quote]

I wouldn't say Coach T left the baseball program in shambles but it has gone down hill since Coach Anderson left. Yes, I am a fan of Coach Anderson but also a big fan of Coach T.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="783275" timestamp="1269790019"]
Well, I guess I have to change my appearance before I venture back into West Orange.

Yes, w.  I am a fan of Ronnie Anderson.  I imagine there are quite a few of those.  I am also a fan of stability.  That is how it has something to do with this.  Stable programs have done well as WO-S.  When those programs lost their stability, like the revolving door of baseball coaches that followed (including good coaches like Coach Thompson, Sam Moore, Steve Parkhurst and the like) that program had fallen on hard times.

I would like to see some stability in the WO-S athletic program and I don't see that turning the program over to 61 year old will bring that.  If someone were to tell me that Coach Thompson was committed to carry on 8-10 years after Coach Hooks hung it up, I would happily reverse myself.  I just don't know that will happen.
[/quote]

When did Steve Parkhurst coach at WOS???? Isn't he an attorney??

[quote name="kicker" post="783764" timestamp="1269900066"]
WOCCISD is running everyone out of the district.

I guess it may be time to finally put both arms in that Orange and White t-shirt my wife bought me. :'(

[/quote]

Don't even think about it!!!!!!!

[quote name="td" post="784028" timestamp="1269957640"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=67848.msg783275#msg783275 date=1269790019]
Well, I guess I have to change my appearance before I venture back into West Orange.

Yes, w.  I am a fan of Ronnie Anderson.  I imagine there are quite a few of those.  I am also a fan of stability.  That is how it has something to do with this.  Stable programs have done well as WO-S.  When those programs lost their stability, like the revolving door of baseball coaches that followed (including good coaches like Coach Thompson, Sam Moore, Steve Parkhurst and the like) that program had fallen on hard times.

I would like to see some stability in the WO-S athletic program and I don't see that turning the program over to 61 year old will bring that.  If someone were to tell me that Coach Thompson was committed to carry on 8-10 years after Coach Hooks hung it up, I would happily reverse myself.  I just don't know that will happen.
[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.  I think he means Westbrook.

[quote name="w" post="784053" timestamp="1269961904"]
[quote author=td link=topic=67848.msg784028#msg784028 date=1269957640]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.  I think he means Westbrook.
[/quote]

I bet you are correct. Sorry I was really confused for a second.

[quote name="td" post="784028" timestamp="1269957640"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry, td.  It was Westbrook I was thinking of.

this blows my mind. why on earth did coach thompson not get that job MR SUPERINTENDENT .to me you think that coach thompson cant handel it what a fool you are.  PShow meny scholarships dose basketball get compared to football-----------NOT EVEN CLOSE

there is something wrong about this.why did the superintendent pass thompson up, i for one would like to here it from him.someone find out why ,this would be a good news story  hint hint orange leader but i think  dr collins would lie  why he picked newton

[quote name="skipper" post="784921" timestamp="1270091398"]
there is something wrong about this.why did the superintendent pass thompson up, i for one would like to here it from him.someone find out why ,this would be a good news story  hint hint orange leader but i think  dr collins would lie  why he picked newton
[/quote]

I will say this for him, every time I have wanted to know something I have driven to his office and sat down in front of him and had a conversation with him. Not one time has he refused to see me. I may or may not like what he had to say but he would listen to me and then have a conversation. I would suggest if you want to know something that you do the same and stop asking other people to do the work for you.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin