WO-S Superintendent

I was told that the Superintendent just promoted the basketball coach as asst. AD and when  Hooks retires he will become AD.The school board and Superintendent didn't have any money back in the summer to bus the kids from extracurricular activities and that it didn't do anything to promote education.  They overspent on fixing up the front of the building by over 2 million dollars (which didn't do anything to promote education) and now they are taking a coach out of a classroom (which they are going to have to fill with another person) and promoting him to a position that has never existed before at WOS and giving him extra funds. ....."how about promoting someone who has been loyal and has given 30+ years of service to the district and who is deserving of it?"  It's just proof that the powers to be, can do anything they want to do and don't care who they hurt in the process.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WO-S 89" post="783070" timestamp="1269719718"]
I was told that the Superintendent just promoted the basketball coach as asst. AD and when  Hooks retires he will become AD.The school board and Superintendent didn't have any money back in the summer to bus the kids from extracurricular activities and that it didn't do anything to promote education.  They overspent on fixing up the front of the building by over 2 million dollars (which didn't do anything to promote education) and now they are taking a coach out of a classroom (which they are going to have to fill with another person) and promoting him to a position that has never existed before at WOS and giving him extra funds. ....."how about promoting someone who has been loyal and has given 30+ years of service to the district and who is deserving of it?"  It's just proof that the powers to be, can do anything they want to do and don't care who they hurt in the process.

[/quote]

Old news. Newton was brought here to be the new AD. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="783071" timestamp="1269719900"]
[quote author=WO-S 89 link=topic=67848.msg783070#msg783070 date=1269719718]

[/quote]

Old news. Newton was brought here to be the new AD. ;)
[/quote] It is old news but news that doesn't surprise me.  ::) ::)

[quote name="skipper" post="783083" timestamp="1269722176"]
now dan, can stay around ten more years and let the guy that knows not a thing about football stay on the hardwood. better yet why dont the superintendent  appoint himself
[/quote]

There are many basketball coaches that are AD's. It's not about knowing football. Skip showing his ignorance again. ::)

there is no better man around the wo-s campus than thompson. he backs (ALL ) sport programs there at west orange stark and has been doing it for years. i dont know what the superintendent was drinking ,but i would like some.PS dan hooks is not going no place enytime soon.

[quote name="skipper" post="783158" timestamp="1269735065"]
there is no better man around the wo-s campus than thompson. he backs (ALL ) sport programs there at west orange stark and has been doing it for years. i dont know what the superintendent was drinking ,but i would like some.PS dan hooks is not going no place enytime soon.
[/quote]

So you're saying he's going someplace soon?  ;)

Okay, before I start there are a couple of things:  I love what Cornel Thompson has done for the West Orange-Cove CISD and I believe he would be a wonderful AD if ever selected for the job and would be a good candidate for assistant AD.  That being said:

1.  Tabbing Coach Thompson as the heir to Coach Hooks at this point and time would be a foolish thing.  As both men are around the same age, I don't see Coach Thompson hanging around the coaching ranks much longer than Coach Hooks.  In fact, as I have said many times, my belief is that the two men will retire about the same time.  Even if they don't, Coach Thompson would probably be a one or two year replacement at most, rendering him basically a transitional coach and AD.  One of the reasons that programs at WO-S have done well is stability.  Three members of the football coaching staff (Hooks, Thompson and Mark Foreman) have been there since I was in junior high.  One the reasons that the WO-S baseball program used to be the best was that Ronnie Anderson was there forever.  Once he left, a virtual revolving door of coaches (including Coach Thompson) left the baseball program in shambles to the point where it has seen success only recently with the revival under Coach Jesse Riojas.  Why would you have the keys turned over to a person who probably doesn't have teaching in his long range plans?  I am quite sure that this is what Dr. Collins had in mind when he tabbed Coach Newton as the assistant AD.  Coach Newton, a man who does have some roots in Orange who does have a commitment to the program long term.

2.  Why would we think that Coach Thompson would want the position?  Recall that Coach Thompson did have his opportunities as the head man (head football at Palestine and head baseball coach at West Orange-Stark) and from what I understand, found both experiences pretty bitter ones.  Not to say that Coach Thompson isn't ambitious, but these past experiences may have lent Coach Thompson to be content with the position he has right now!

There are plenty of things to blame Dr. Collins for in his tenure as superintendent, but I don't think this is one of them.

Did you ever think that Coach T's "lack of ambition" might be because he is just biding his time waiting for HIS chance to be the head coach/AD of the school that he loves?  He's not going to back stab his friend and boss for the job and he's not going to hurry Coach Hooks to retirement. Also,  I think there is ten years difference in their ages, though one might think that because Coach T has been around as long as he has that they are the same age.

What the superintendent did was wrong.  Plain and simple.  He and certain  members of the school board obviously do not like the football program to be successful.  Their actions speak loud and clear.  Too bad the superintendent doesn't go back to Kentucky to be with his family and where basketball reigns.

have you seen the new  school thay built off MLK drive ,if bigger than the hight school.thompson has given his heart and soul to the kids at wo-s and he is a class person on and off the field. coach thompson is one of the best coaches in this great state of ours hands down .as for the school board most of them not all are a bunch of nuts that is what i told some of them last year on the busing deal and all i got was from them was a go to hell look

Also, WOS grad, it's obvious that you are a fan of Coach Anderson and that's ok but the baseball program was not left in "shambles" by Coach T or his closest successors.  It's only been in about the last 6 years that the program has not been competitive.  (Not that the baseball situation has anything to do with the subject at hand.)

A move like this is a slap in the face to several people.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will it encourage Hooks to call it quits sooner out of frustration or will it encourage him to hang around even longer to keep the football program going?

Either way, I could see Thompson walking away with Hooks when he goes. With no upper level support and the coaching foundation gone this could start a downward spiral and that revolving door for the FB program.

[quote name="w" post="783264" timestamp="1269787113"]
Did you ever think that Coach T's "lack of ambition" might be because he is just biding his time waiting for HIS chance to be the head coach/AD of the school that he loves?  He's not going to back stab his friend and boss for the job and he's not going to hurry Coach Hooks to retirement. Also,  I think there is ten years difference in their ages, though one might think that because Coach T has been around as long as he has that they are the same age.

What the superintendent did was wrong.  Plain and simple.  He and certain  members of the school board obviously do not like the football program to be successful.  Their actions speak loud and clear.  Too bad the superintendent doesn't go back to Kentucky to be with his family and where basketball reigns.
[/quote] Good post!!!!!

[quote name="mat" post="783271" timestamp="1269788940"]
A move like this is a slap in the face to several people.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will it encourage Hooks to call it quits sooner out of frustration or will it encourage him to hang around even longer to keep the football program going?

Either way, I could see Thompson walking away with Hooks when he goes. With no upper level support and the coaching foundation gone this could start a downward spiral and that revolving door for the FB program.

[/quote] Since Coach T got passed up AGAIN  >:(  Lets hope Hooks stays.

Well, I guess I have to change my appearance before I venture back into West Orange.

Yes, w.  I am a fan of Ronnie Anderson.  I imagine there are quite a few of those.  I am also a fan of stability.  That is how it has something to do with this.  Stable programs have done well as WO-S.  When those programs lost their stability, like the revolving door of baseball coaches that followed (including good coaches like Coach Thompson, Sam Moore, Steve Parkhurst and the like) that program had fallen on hard times.

I would like to see some stability in the WO-S athletic program and I don't see that turning the program over to 61 year old will bring that.  If someone were to tell me that Coach Thompson was committed to carry on 8-10 years after Coach Hooks hung it up, I would happily reverse myself.  I just don't know that will happen.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="783275" timestamp="1269790019"]
Well, I guess I have to change my appearance before I venture back into West Orange.

Yes, w.  I am a fan of Ronnie Anderson.  I imagine there are quite a few of those.  I am also a fan of stability.  That is how it has something to do with this.  Stable programs have done well as WO-S.  When those programs lost their stability, like the revolving door of baseball coaches that followed (including good coaches like Coach Thompson, Sam Moore, Steve Parkhurst and the like) that program had fallen on hard times.

I would like to see some stability in the WO-S athletic program and I don't see that turning the program over to 61 year old will bring that.  If someone were to tell me that Coach Thompson was committed to carry on 8-10 years after Coach Hooks hung it up, I would happily reverse myself.  I just don't know that will happen.
[/quote]

Your logic could be veiwed as age discriminating. To just pass T over and just assume he would leave in a couple of years after getting the job he's probably been waiting for his whole career just doesn't sound practical or fair. And to just assume Newton will be around for ten plus years doesn't sound practical or fair either, especially if he has a couple of very successful basketball seasons. And we sure don't know the facts. Newton may have been given this newly created postion to keep him from moving on after his first successful season here; you never know.

[quote name="skipper" post="783328" timestamp="1269799596"]
if coach thompson was to be appointed AD i belive he would stay dont you think
[/quote]        skipper, i know that you know Coach Owens better than i do.  i would suggest that you ask him whats going on at WOS, since he knows more about the situation at WOS than even Coach Hooks does. I just called Coach Owens and he told me that he would like to see WOS talk you out of retirement to be the next head coach at WOS. i know  that our friends in  Silsbee would hate to see you come back. im sure they  still remember what happened the last time you were in charge.  i hope you look at this offer long and hard.  "WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    lufunom123
    Newest Member
    lufunom123