Yates 126 Sterling 61 Final

Well, I made the trip to Houston today to see Yates.  I was impressed.  When I think of a press,  I picture it more like Silsbee or HJ play it here, trapping when given the opportunity.  While this is a part of Yates press, at least tonight, the more impressive part to me was the pressure they applied away from the ball.  They, for the most part,  played a man to man trapping press.  Even when an opposing player didn't have the ball a Yates player was in his back pocket.  They had plenty of steals but caused more turnovers by sterling making bad passes.  Sterling had a good idea in trying to get someone breaking down court for a long pass  but they were mostly over or under thrown.  Even when they weren't Yates speed allowed them to catch up and make this pass more of a jump ball.  Yates speed also allowed them to catch and block a lot of Sterlings players on breaks. Even intimidating sterlings players from going up and shooting to pausing and thus getting in more trouble.  Yates isn't only getting its points of of breaks.  They have great vision knowing where each other is and hitting the open players for three's or drives.  they hit probably at least 7 threes that I can remember.  I was impressed with Young and Peters but really liked the play of their center Alex Davis he has good range hitting some shots from the top of the key and was a forse inside blocking shots and on the offensive end.  He looks like a promising recruit not sure where he is going.  After the first quarter,  Yates played the subs way more than the starters and in the second half they still pressed but it did not look near as fierce.  I left early in the fourth but just a few minutes into the third the starters  were sitting and did not return to start the final quarter so I can not say they kept trying to run up the score.  The only problem I can see that they could have would be a tight called game.  There were many fouls that could have been called tonight that weren't on either team.  Yates players are the agressors and nI was there to see them so I did see them pushing and getting away with a little that could be called against tham later on. If it wasn't for the press, they could be competed with.  A half court game would be the only game a good  team could play and have a chance with them.

If you have good guards, and can play in the half court you could have a chance with Yates... It is known that the refs can't call every fouls in a high school game (way too many both ways because of the skill level)!  Some folks try to equate college/high school fouls to the NBA and they are too different creatures!  The amateur game is much more physical!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont