HF at HJ???

Lazeek

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="748402" timestamp="1264225229"]
Faninthestands, I agree with you, 100%.

But if it is true about 2 of HJ's starting guards doing an alley oop off the backboard in the 4th quarter up by 50, that's showboating too. ;)

LAZEEK, did I read your post correctly, HJ pressed the whole game?

Bullets13 says they didn't.
[/quote]

My post was sarcastic.........I saw Villason, Weldon, Brown, Nobles and Stagg more tonight than the starters........HJ's bench would have destroyed HF!!!!!!  Guarantee that those 5 got more minutes than the starters did!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="748431" timestamp="1264228924"]
I can't help it Dove that your HF team cannot beat the HJ bench!!!!! :D :D :D  The damage was done in the first half......HJ did not press and the bench still abused the Longhorns!!!
[/quote]Jack Yates of The Golden Triangle..plain and simple

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="748431" timestamp="1264228924"]
I can't help it Dove that your HF team cannot beat the HJ bench!!!!! :D :D :D  The damage was done in the first half......HJ did not press and the bench still abused the Longhorns!!!
[/quote]I have no problem with the score at all. I just don't see those biddy ball *benches* complaining about how HJ ran the score up. Double standards.....typical

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="748432" timestamp="1264229328"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=65069.msg748431#msg748431 date=1264228924]
[/quote]Jack Yates of The Golden Triangle..plain and simple
[/quote]

Kountze won 112-57..........what is the difference???  Oh I know......5 points!!!! ::) ::) ::)

According to what Bullets posted, HJ could have beaten HF by a "Yates" score. Looks as though they called the dogs off somewhat.

If HJ played in the manner of how Yates is playing, then I say they were wrong in running up the score. But from what I gather, they did not do that.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

HJ starters played literally 12-14 minutes tonight....2-3 minutes of each quarter.........we even commented at the 4 minute mark of the 2nd quarter that Brown, Weldon, Stagg, Nobles and Villasin were in the game..........Nobles had 8 in the first half!!!!!

[quote name="Nefertiti" post="748392" timestamp="1264224239"]
of all the years i have been around this match up (rivalry) i have never seen something so disgraceful as a team to be winning ( blowing out another team) then just start show boating i just dont understand what happened to the mercy rule you guys were suggesting
[/quote]

Nefertiti welcome to the board..........glad you can come on and stir the pot on your first post..........I am sorry you feel that way but if your HF Longhorns cannot beat the HJ bottom 5 then you have more things to worry about then whether a team is show boating!!!! ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="748402" timestamp="1264225229"]
Faninthestands, I agree with you, 100%.

But if it is true about 2 of HJ's starting guards doing an alley oop off the backboard in the 4th quarter up by 50, that's showboating too. ;)

LAZEEK, did I read your post correctly, HJ pressed the whole game?

Bullets13 says they didn't.
[/quote]I think there are levels of show-boating.  It was early in the 4th quarter, where coach gave the starters their 2 minutes of play.  I could guarantee you that Gus and Jacoby have tried this a million times in practice and have been dying to do it in a game.  So what do you do?  Do you do it in the middle of a 50-50 game between Silsbee and get benched because Sutherland can't believe you're playing around, or do you do it when the score has already been settled.

If HJ continued to do that in the game, then it would have been over the top.  If HJ would have celebrated on the floor while HF takes it to the hole, then it would have stupid and over the top.  But instead, Gus and Jacoby hurried back on defense, although you couldn't wipe the grins off their faces as they finally succeeded in the off-the-backboard-alley-oop!  And within 30 seconds, coach removed all the starters.

In the meantime, I'd call it "style points".  But you guys have the right to call it show-boating, too.

I still think it prevented that 50 point rally that HF was fixing to reel-off, so the play was integral to the win!  I mean, BlueDove and Ron Burgundy have convinced me that HF is like a coiled-up snake waiting to strike!  ;)

This is sad. Hj can do no wrong. Just the other day Nash and other Hawks were talking about when Hj attempted it in the E.C tournament Coach immediately called a time out and got all over the 2 players and benched them.1 question, did he repeat those same actions. No! All I hear is how everybody  were smiling, and laughing including Coaches. this is so disrespectful for the guard to be on a fast break and Not take the lay up himself but rather throw it Off The Freaking Backboard while already up Half a Hundred is wrong. No matter what you say Hj, you know its wrong but since yall did it, its Okay! I would be angry, embarrassed, and feel very disrespected if I was a Longhorn. I would be all over yall like Sprinkles!!!

[quote name="swag" post="748467" timestamp="1264252638"]
This is sad. Hj can do no wrong. Just the other day Nash and other Hawks were talking about when Hj attempted it in the E.C tournament Coach immediately called a time out and got all over the 2 players and benched them.1 question, did he repeat those same actions. No! All I hear is how everybody  were smiling, and laughing including Coaches. this is so disrespectful for the guard to be on a fast break and Not take the lay up himself but rather throw it Off The Freaking Backboard while already up Half a Hundred is wrong. No matter what you say Hj, you know its wrong but since yall did it, its Okay! I would be angry, embarrassed, and feel very disrespected if I was a Longhorn. I would be all over yall like Sprinkles!!!
[/quote]Swag, as usual, your opinion is well noted and appreciated!

Thanks for sharing!

Coach Sutherland starts the starters every quarter to set the tone and work on chemistry.  How he subs after that depends on what he sees.  When he saw that alley, he immediately summoned the bomb squad and subbed all five starters out.

That game was not much of a contest.  Started with a 31-3 first quarter, and the clock was running during some dead balls by the end of the first quarter.  Press was called off during second quarter.  Starters sat most of the game, thank goodness.  It's the kind of game where you just pray there won't be any injuries.  Coach doesn't cotton much to showboating.  The players were just trying to have some fun, but I bet they'll have to push towels next practice.  By the way, that was one of the prettiest, most perfectly-executed, alley-oops ever thrown off a backboard.

Some encouraging signs: Jacoby and Phillip are starting to move a little better on the court, coming back from their injuries.  Trent Nobles played a great game last night, scoring after entry passes and offensive rebounds.  Lionel Stagg and Trent executed one nice backdoor-cut, give-and-go; when I see our subs make basketball plays like that, it gives me a feeling of well-being!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="FanintheStands" post="748481" timestamp="1264255423"]
[quote author=swag link=topic=65069.msg748467#msg748467 date=1264252638]
[/quote]Swag, as usual, your opinion is well noted and appreciated!

Thanks for sharing!
[/quote]

Swag has spoken.  Let be written - let it be done!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="748442" timestamp="1264230125"]
According to what Bullets posted, HJ could have beaten HF by a "Yates" score. Looks as though they called the dogs off somewhat.

If HJ played in the manner of how Yates is playing, then I say they were wrong in running up the score. But from what I gather, they did not do that.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

it was 49-7 after HJ pressed during the first half, BUT the starters played maybe half of the first half, and the 2nd and 3rd strings probably split the remaining time.  HJ quit pressing coming out in the second half, and their starters got just a couple of minutes each in the 2nd half.  HJ could have really run up the score if they wanted to.  In the 1st quarter when the starters played most of the quarter and the press was on, HJ had 10 or more steals, and HF probably only took 5 shots.  In the second quarter, it was mostly subs doing the pressing, and i still bet HJ had 5 or 6 steals, and HF maybe attempted 10 shots.  most of those were in self-defense, with a player turning and chunking up the ball while barely looking at the rim to avoid the relentless pressure.  Had HJ's starters played much of the second quarter, you're probably looking at a 65-5 halftime score.  Had HJ continued pressing with their starters, HF would've probably fared even worse in the 2nd half as HF would've been badly worn down.  In the first half, HF might have set the ball up in an actually offensive set maybe once or twice due to the harrassment of the HJ press.  After halftime, HJ pulled the press, and the starters played maybe 5 minutes of the second half.  Every trip down HF was allowed to cross mid court and at least TRY to get into an offensive set.  They also got about 18-19 minutes to run against the HJ 2nd and 3rd teams, still with no press.  Don't get me wrong, the subs still took it to HF, but HJ is no Yates.  When the subs come in, there's some quality on the court, but if HJ's starters played their subs in a scrimmage, the scoreline would probably look like it did in this game.  It's not like Yates who brings in a team of subs who could probably win their district.  Despite all of HJ's efforts, they still scored a lot in the 2nd half.  It's not like you can ask the subs to come in and not shoot the ball.  They need their work too, and in a game like this, it's a valuable experience for them to get a lot of playing time.  Now, i'm not surprised that some people are choosing to fail to see a difference between what HJ did to HF last night and what Yates has done to everyone... here it is as plain as i can put it.

Yates presses the whole game... HJ called off the dogs at the start of the 2nd half.

Yates brings in a group of subs that would start almost anywhere in the state... HJ brings in a group of subs that is predominantly role players.

HJ won by 60.  Yates won a game by 135.  

HJ's subs played more last night than they have any probably any game this season, and HJ subs spent more time on the floor than HJ starters.

HJ scored 7 less points in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st, and they wouldn't have broken 90 except for a silly technical foul on HF and two and-1's where they intentionally fouled someone who was going in for an open layup.  without this, it's probably 85-31 (a margin of victory similar to Kountze's last night)

HJ gave up 9 points in the 1st half, and that was with a lot of subs getting in the game.  they gave up 11 points in each of the last two quarters.  it's pretty clear that they eased up tremendously on defense.  

So, talk all you want about double standards, but it's nowhere near the same.  it's also worth noting that HJ at no time last night fouled to try and get the ball back so they can break 100.  they probably could've broken 100 by the end of the 3rd quarter had they wanted.

Bullet, please stop trying to defend HJ. You can't. This has nohing to do with HJ. IF HJ ran off 150 points, I would not be mad at them. But I wish you would jusr go ahead and admit HJ played their game and kept scoring on poor little Hf after the game was won in the 1st quarter. It's basketball.  The shoe is on the other foot and you can't be man enough to admit your double standards.....................

Soo Hawks is it okay to throw an alley off the backboard in the 4th. I remember someone from Hj saying that they would under cut Devin or Roman of the attemted a alley oop. So hawks what if a H.F player wouldve done that too Turner. Would you be okay with. Yall suggested it! Lol

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="748510" timestamp="1264261561"]
Bullet, please stop trying to defend HJ. You can't. This has nohing to do with HJ. IF HJ ran off 150 points, I would not be mad at them. But I wish you would jusr go ahead and admit HJ played their game and kept scoring on poor little Hf after the game was won in the 1st quarter. It's basketball.  The shoe is on the other foot and you can't be man enough to admit your double standards.....................
[/quote]

double standards... you're right, you got me... i have totally different standards when it comes to my opinion of a team who wins by 60, plays subs most of the game, and presses for one half compared to a team who presses the whole game and wins by 135.  

[quote name="swag" post="748515" timestamp="1264263268"]
Soo Hawks is it okay to throw an alley off the backboard in the 4th. I remember someone from Hj saying that they would under cut Devin or Roman of the attemted a alley oop. So hawks what if a H.F player wouldve done that too Turner. Would you be okay with. Yall suggested it! Lol

[/quote]

You just don't get it do you?  Go back and read.  No one ever said it was bad that they were throwing the alley oops they were saying they needed to quit show boating and get back on defense.  You were busy bragging about dunks during a loss and the HJ fans said show boat all you want because EVERY TIME there was a dunk HJ got an easy layup on the other end.  Wake up!

SAl i guess you are a fan of mine also. Your 1st post was to me. Its an Honor and i promise you that you wont be exempt from being Swagged! lol. im going to warn you now to check urself before you wreck urself.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami