FINAL---SPURGER 69 SABINE PASS 52

[quote name="6thman" post="744665" timestamp="1263617210"]
Exciting game!!!! Glad Chase wasn't hurt any worse than he was. Can't wait for Hutto to come back. Looking forward to the next one!!!
[/quote]Chase is going to be fine, just going to have a big nose for a day are two.
Talked to hutto to night, cross your fingers and your toes but goes back to the doc tuesday
and he thinks he might get some good news ;D ;D

Guest THE SCOUTER
Disappointing game for the Sharks. Congratulations Pirates. Jones and #10 played well tonight for Sabine. Chase was impressive, blanketship had a great first half, a little quiet in the second, and George was just George.

This game wasn't as close as the final score.This is the first time this year I've seen the Sharks and to be honest I was disappointed.This club has several senior ballplayers but doesn't play team basketball.They repeatedly tried to penetrate the zone with the dribble and force shots in the first half.I thought McGallions ability to break down the defense and pass the rock was the difference in this one.Spurger is the clear favorite now in this district and Sabine Pass and Evadale will be closer than I thought it would be.

i have to disagree.
the game was way closer then the score was.
sharks was down by 8 with little time on the clock. like a good team spurger made free throws
Sharks wasnt able to buy a bucket in the 1st half
Pirates was in man for most of the game or zone then popped into a man

Hard to watch since im a shark fan but good game.
Looking forward to the next.

ps i like spurger student section

We must have watched 2 different games.The Sharks have a couple of pretty good ball players but have no rhyme or reason on the offensive end.Spurger came out in a zone early and SP attempted to beat it off the dribble.When that didn't work whoever got the ball shot the 3.At about the 4 minute mark in the 4th the pirates were up by 20 and relaxed a little on defense.Sabine Pass hit a few 3's before the Pirates called time out and quickly went back up by 20.This could have easily been a 30 point game.The young guy on the Spurger bench does a great job of working a game.

Yep, I guess the final is all that matters.I was hoping to see the same type game I saw there last year.I think two things have happened here.Spurger has matured as team and the Sharks aren't quite as good as they were last year.I think the strength of schedule has played a huge part in Spurgers success last night.After games against Cleveland and Silsbee the SP press had absolutely no effect last night.I stll think the Sharks will make the playoffs but it will be a battle for second if they don't get some type of offensive scheme that gets their two shooters some help off screens.

idk what press sp was in my 1st time seeing them play it like that.
but it was terrible and i hope we never have to see that again
their old press work. don't fix it if its not broke.

I think sp will be fine against evadale.

i know we both agree with this
Spurger is the real deal though i know its early in the season but i am excited to see what happens in playoffs

Your right about Spurger they are gonna be solid, especially if they get the injured kid back.The other kids have gotten a lot of experience while the Pirates had injuries and that will help down the road.The SP players almost looked confused last night running the press.I don't think they are quick enough to press the Spurger club.I'm gonna watch the SP/Evadale game I think it's going to be real close,especially at Evadale.

[quote name="whsalum" post="745032" timestamp="1263689174"]
Your right about Spurger they are gonna be solid, especially if they get the injured kid back.The other kids have gotten a lot of experience while the Pirates had injuries and that will help down the road.The SP players almost looked confused last night running the press.I don't think they are quick enough to press the Spurger club.I'm gonna watch the SP/Evadale game I think it's going to be real close,especially at Evadale.
[/quote]This could go back and forth about who was good and who was bad
in this game, so i am going to add to it.
We can look at the score and wonder what it might have been if mcgallion and blankenship
would have had a good shooting night from the out side.
I know they hit on a few but trust me they both shoot a whole lot better from the arc than they
showed last night.

I know Daniel can shoot it a lot better than he did last night.McGallion doesn't have to shoot the 3 for Spurger to win.If he passes the ball like he did last night and Whittacre plays the post like he did and Daniel is anywhere close to his game this matchup isn't even close.It was still a 17 point win and would have been 20 if not for a silly foul on a last second 3.The first thing SP will have to do to even stay close is collapse on George and make the Pirates shoot from outside.I believe the Evadale game with the sharks will be close.

Guest THE SCOUTER
I guess i will add to this list as well. The Sharks press was horrendous that night. I agree they looked confused the whole first half running it. It looked like the Sharks were playing a pick up game. Too many people want to shoot and score, not enough ball movement. No offense was ran, just a bunch of kids playing a game. The Sharks best quarter was there fourth......hmmmm sounds alot like last year. Court side said it, if the Sharks come out slow then it won't be good. Not only did they start out flat, "you live by the three, you die by the three". Nothing fell there way. This was not the Sabine Pass club that i've been watching all year. I also agree with The Truth " if it works, why change it", that was the coaches mistake. When all else fails they give it to #30( Jones), why doesn'y anybody else want to be a leader? Besides the disappointing game, Felix and #10 played well. Can i have #10's name? From what i seen, last years club out does this club, and its practically the same kids.

Guest THE SCOUTER
As for Spurger, they were very well coached. Great ball movement and great execution. First half also came out a little slow. #1 impressed me, moving into the starting line up due to a player injury, he played great. He is not a scorer but he doesn't turn the ball over or take bad shots. Daniel did have an off night, as for Chase i wouldn't call that an off night. He shot really well from the arc. Towards the end of the third, the Sharks finally came to play and shaved the score down to 8. The coached called a timeout to stop the bleeding and after that, they came right back and made a very comfortable margin to stay with. All good teams make free throws at the end. Chase made some players look like fools with his dribbling, but he just needs to watch that arm bringing the ball up with pressure. Overall good game for the Pirates, very well coached, and my predictions for this district will stay the same: Pirates-Sharks-Rebels.
Court side whats number one's name?

For the most part I agree totally with your game summary.This entire game for the Sharks was whoever got the ball went 1 on 5 and forced everything.No floor spacing,no passing and absoluely no defense.The only 2 players I saw for SP that were a factor were#30 and #25 and they are going to have to be given some help on screens to win against the good teams.#10 isn't a bad player but only can shoot the wide open set shot,he isn't going to score on his own.I was surprised that with all the returning players he Sharks haven't gotten any better.

Spurger is a perfict example of a school that only playes one sport. They play backetball just about year around and it showes.  This realy showes early in the season when teams are adjusting from football to basketball. I am glad to see them having another good year and I hope this is the year to see them in the State Tour. I have watch this group play sence they were 10 yearsold , glad to see the hard work that they have put in start paying off.

[quote name="THE SCOUTER" post="745219" timestamp="1263746291"]
As for Spurger, they were very well coached. Great ball movement and great execution. First half also came out a little slow. #1 impressed me, moving into the starting line up due to a player injury, he played great. He is not a scorer but he doesn't turn the ball over or take bad shots. Daniel did have an off night, as for Chase i wouldn't call that an off night. He shot really well from the arc. Towards the end of the third, the Sharks finally came to play and shaved the score down to 8. The coached called a timeout to stop the bleeding and after that, they came right back and made a very comfortable margin to stay with. All good teams make free throws at the end. Chase made some players look like fools with his dribbling, but he just needs to watch that arm bringing the ball up with pressure. Overall good game for the Pirates, very well coached, and my predictions for this district will stay the same: Pirates-Sharks-Rebels.
Court side whats number one's name?
[/quote]# 1 is Luke Mcleod(freshman)

[quote name="True Blue" post="745224" timestamp="1263747694"]
Suurger is a perfict example of a school that only playes one sport. They play backetball just about year around and it showes.  This realy showes early in the season when teams are adjusting from football to basketball. I am glad to see them having another good year and I hope this is the year to see them in the State Tour. I have watch this group play sence they were 10 yearsold , glad to see the hard work that they have put in start paying off.
[/quote]This makes no sense to me, if this is true then why has spurger had such a drought in making
the the playoffs untill the last couple of years. Every school has players that plays summer ball or AAU ball
so I dont think its any where near a perfect example of why Spurger(with a P) ;) has been doing well
for the last couple of years.

Spurger has been good the last 4 or 5 years because they have had a group,actually 2 groups,that work hard and play alot throughout the summer.I'll agree they may have a little advantage early in the season but by this time of year everybody should be about equal.The only thing that may hurt the Pirates in the playoffs is depth.I was surprised to only see 3 players on the bench the other night and foul trouble could be an issue down the road.

[quote name="court side" post="745329" timestamp="1263757724"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=64824.msg745224#msg745224 date=1263747694]
Spurger is a perfict example of a school that only playes one sport. They play backetball just about year around and it showes.  This realy showes early in the season when teams are adjusting from football to basketball. I am glad to see them having another good year and I hope this is the year to see them in the State Tour. I have watch this group play sence they were 10 yearsold , glad to see the hard work that they have put in start paying off.
[/quote]This makes no sense to me, if this is true then why has spurger had such a drought in making
the the playoffs untill the last couple of years. Every school has players that plays summer ball or AAU ball
so I dont think its any where near a perfect example of why Spurger(with a P) ;) has been doing well
for the last couple of years.
[/quote] All I ment is that without playing football they are in the gym early and are in BB shape at the first of the season. You know that most kids that play both sports are not in the gym during football season. And it takes them 2 to 3 weeks to get in to BB shape. It has been proven that you only run about 6 to 7 min in a entire football game. You run more than that in the first Qr of a BB game. Sorry SPURGER ;D

[quote name="True Blue" post="745224" timestamp="1263747694"]
[/quote]
HOW BOUT----Whittaker, McGallion (TOGETHER) have played Little Dribblers since 5 years old (playing up on the older age groups alot) Rawls joined a few years later, then Blankenship. Same knowledgable Little Dribblers coach from get go that taught them fundamentals & straight up how to play the game. All of them are athletic & very determined young men. One young man has not played this year, but may be joining them in the near future. He, Whittaker, McGallion, Rawls are 4 of the that placed 2nd in the Little Dribblers Tournament 3 years ago.
AND now the Pirates have a GREAT COACH, that lets them play the game. The pirates respect him, he respects them & their rolling on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86