University of New Orleans to drop to Division III in 2010.

UNLV

Written by Jude Young | Friday, 11 December 2009 14:26 | UNO News

The LSU Board of Supervisors voted almost unanimously in favor of authorize UNO chancellor Tim Ryan's proposal to drop his school's athletic program from NCAA Division I down to Division III on Friday in Baton Rouge.
http://www.neworleans.com/sports/uno/284236-lsu-board-approves-plan-for-uno-athletics-drop-to-division-iii.html

Guest coachacola
The Sun Belt has 13 schools, 10 with football, so I doubt they'll be adding another football school.  Adding Texas State would further spread out the conference that stretches from Denver to Miami, and they don't make much TV money.  I believe Denver is trying to join another conference, so maybe if that happens the Sun Belt will add a couple of teams.

[quote name="coachacola" post="728579" timestamp="1260631991"]The Sun Belt has 13 schools, 10 with football, so I doubt they'll be adding another football school.  Adding Texas State would further spread out the conference that stretches from Denver to Miami, and they don't make much TV money.  I believe Denver is trying to join another conference, so maybe if that happens the Sun Belt will add a couple of teams.[/quote]

If DU leaves soon, perhaps the ideal would be to add TXST as a travel partner with NT. Currently DU is NT's travel partner. ULL and ULM could be travel partners under the new alignment for all sports.

The University of New Orleans will notify the Sun Belt Conference of its plans to withdraw and begin a move from the NCAA’s Division I to Division III that does not allow athletics scholarships, the LSU Board of Supervisors approved Friday.

The move is more evidence of the growing struggles of university athletic departments statewide and nationwide. Citing budgetary problems, Southern University, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls State are among those that eliminated some athletics programs earlier this year.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/79114237.html

What I can't figure out is how a public school nearly half LU size, ULM, can exist at the FBS level.

Guest coachacola
[quote]What I can't figure out is how a public school nearly half LU size, ULM, can exist at the FBS level.[/quote]

Take a look at the link below and you'll get an idea how schools in the Sun Belt support athletics:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=406668

Schools in Louisiana cannot use student fees for athletics but they do use taxpayer money, which is the opposite of here in Texas.  UL-Monroe had over $3.5 million in school subsidies and another $2.3 million in away games income.

[quote name="coachacola" post="728925" timestamp="1260655978"]
[quote]What I can't figure out is how a public school nearly half LU size, ULM, can exist at the FBS level.[/quote]

Take a look at the link below and you'll get an idea how schools in the Sun Belt support athletics:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=406668

Schools in Louisiana cannot use student fees for athletics but they do use taxpayer money, which is the opposite of here in Texas.  UL-Monroe had over $3.5 million in school subsidies and another $2.3 million in away games income.
[/quote]Then why is Nicholls st, SELA, and UNO struggling?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="Ruckdad" post="730448" timestamp="1260830750"]
Terror I had to smite you for that - not the Roc comment but calling it Lamar Beaumont. As you know- a pet peeve of mine.
[/quote]

I was going to comment but I'll just UNLV and Terror exchange insults since they enjoy so much.  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder