Dayton Files Appeal to UIL .....Post From 2 Years Ago

Guest Jody

According to a Dayton newspaper article last week, Dayton will appeal the UIL's decision to move them into the weakest football district in Texas.  The Head Coach sited travel issues and no competition for being the reason behind the appeal.

If you don't beleive me, just ask ESPN.   :D

They did appeal though :!:

If they did I would guess that another team like BH would have to move.

I dont see it happening. Why does Dayton want in back in our district? So he can beat up on Huffman and Smiley again? LOL

Here is the article from the Dayton News. No where in here does it state that Stewart said there was no competition in their new district. The Superintendent said it was "NOT ABOUT COMPETITION". Meaning it has nothing to do with the level of competition.

What appeared to be shaping up as a district with natural rivalries and exciting competition instead turned up incomplete as Dayton High School was booted from the new 21-4A into 22-4A by the University Interscholastic League in its bi-annual realignment and reclassification process.

Goodbye to Barbers Hill, C.E. King, Crosby, Forest Brook, Galena Park, Huffman, New Caney, and Smiley. Hello Beaumont Central, Beaumont Ozen, Lumberton, Nederland, Orange-Little Cypress-Maurice-ville, Port Neches-Groves, and Vidor.

Advertisement

A true hardship that would be incurred by Dayton ISD with being in the eastern district would be increased transportation costs due to the increase in distance between schools. Another would be Dayton student athletes, band members, and UIL participants being exposed to dangerous Texas roadways over a much longer period of time and late at night.

Sporting events such as Thu. night JV and freshman football, especially Tue. night boys' and girls' basketball, baseball and softball would have DISD student athletes out all hours of the night on school nights. This would also include junior high football whose games are played on Monday and Tuesday nights and with far more players making up two teams in seventh grade and two more in eighth, the travel time home would be extended by an hour or more. Junior highs start their games earlier, so the students, due to the length of travel, would have to leave early missing valuable class time.

Dayton's campus is approximately 13 miles from Huffman. Its football field is approximately 17 miles from those of Crosby and Barbers Hill. The farthest game away for the Broncos in the other district lineup would have been New Caney, which is approximately 30 miles northwest of Dayton. On the other hand, it is approximately 50 miles to Babe-Zaharias where Beaumont Central plays their games. It's farther to Cardinal Stadium, home of Ozen. Lumberton is 55 miles away, and Nederland is 60 miles from Dayton. Port Neches-Groves is 5.7 miles on the other side of Nederland. Vidor's stadium is approximately 55 miles east of Dayton. The farthest Dayton will travel is to Little Cypress-Mauriceville, approximately 77 miles away.

With all this in mind, Dayton News contacted UIL Athletic Director Dr. Charles Breithaupt at his Austin office on Fri. morning. It is Dr. Breithaupt and the 11 members of his staff who decide upon the alignments and reclassifications for Texas school regions and districts all across the state.

"There is no question in my mind this is an appealable situation and Dayton should file an appeal," said Breithaupt.

The appeal process however, has a hitch. When an appeal is made 100 percent of the teams in whatever district a team is leaving as well as 100 percent of the teams in the district they would be going to have to approve the move. Any one team, for whatever reason in either district could put "thumbs down" on the vote and so goes the appeal.

Dr. Breithaupt was asked about that scenario.

"You're absolutely correct, but that is only a 'level-one' appeal, but then you go to the level-two appeal which is the State Appeals Committee," said Breithaupt. "Now, it is possible that committee may set limits, for example they might allow you to move all your sports over to the other district except football. That has been done for other schools in the past when distance was an issue," said the director.

Breithaupt also admitted that the decision came down to Dayton and Barbers Hill and it was determined that Dayton was geographically closer to most of the schools in 22-4A district than Barbers Hill. He also said that it was moving New Caney down from 18-4A that caused the move since District 21 was sitting there with nine teams and District 22 had seven.

Based upon discussions with Breithaupt by DISD Superintendent Greg Hayman a decision was made late Fri. afternoon, after meeting with Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Jerry Stewart, to appeal the UIL's decision.

"We're going to file an appeal with the UIL," said Stewart. "We'll file an appeal and see what they give us. In some cases in the past they've moved all sports except football due to scheduling problems. Now whether or not that will apply to us will depend on the UIL," said Stewart.

"This is not about competition," said Hayman. "We welcome the competition, but our appeal is based on increased transportation costs and the exposure of our kids to unnecessary dangers. For example, I-10 E is under a tremendous amount of construction. Added to that is the fact that due to distance, we'd have to send out buses during a time when they're needed to transport students from schools to homes. That means we'd need to purchase new buses and hire more drivers, all of which would drive our costs way up," said the superintendent.

Most people think about sports when it comes to realignment and reclassification, but also affected are U.I.L. events, one-act play, band contests, and other school activities and events. Sports is, however, a big part of it, and when the "king sport" in Texas is at stake, anything and everything can happen.

Barbers Hill, along with fellow former district member Huffman, now finds itself in 4-A.

"We're in 4-A, so much for gratitude," said Barbers Hill coach and athletic director Don Price. "The U.I.L. has taught us that if it's a realignment year to tell those in need to just move on down the highway," said Price, discussing Barbers Hill's inflated numbers due to refugees who are no longer attending school. "Actually, our real numbers would have been something like 953 or 954, so it probably didn't matter, but it very well could have. We tried to be good Samaritans, but sometimes that can hurt you," said Price.

Coach Price thinks it's a good fit for the Eagles, since his teams have had some exposure with the current make-up of District 21-4A.

"We met Crosby in football scrimmages, our girls' basketball has seen Smiley, and we've had C.E. King in sub-varsity scrimmages in football as well as at our basketball tournaments," said Price. Huffman's been on our schedule for some time, so we're very familiar with them," said the coach.

The affable Price was a bit disappointed about Dayton being missing from the group.

"We were looking forward to Dayton being in the mix," said Price. "Actually, we thought it might be us, since we're right on I-10, who might be going east, but they picked Dayton. One thing about it, with the close proximities between us and Dayton, Huffman, and Crosby, there is fertile ground for some nice rivalries," said the coach.

That was just Jody trying to stri the pot!! Thanks for the Article..KC

Look-e-there....got another newby. :D

Did he really think I actually say anything that has any truth in it? Wow...... :roll:

The construction on IH-10 east only concerns the LCM game once ever two years. Pretty shallow argument. Schools all over the state routinely travel a good distance to get th their games. I understand it is not as good of a situation as they had, but a lot of teams have it as bad, if not worse.

Correct me if i am wrong. I was at a Hardin Simmons camp last year and the Coach from Hico told me that they had to drive to the zero marker out by El Paso which is 398 miles to play some school like Abernathy sp or another school. How does that sound for some tuesday night trips? :(

How about Spring and Westfield driving to P.A.?

You all are exactly correct when talking about West Texas teams having to travel so far. BUT, they also HAVE to travel that far to play teams in their class. We here in the civilized world, yes that includes Beaumont, do not. Noone in Dayton expects it to go through. If it does then it might include everything but football and that is fine. It really is about the expense for the busses and the time the younger kids will be away from home. Not just Dayton kids but the kids from the golden triangle. Listen, it is an honor to get to play in that district for football. If you happen to win it or make the playoffs, it brings instant respect. It will take Dayton some time to get used to the weekly wars. There are no Smiley's in this district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder