What Makes The Difference?

Guest Wildcat 08

OK heres my point......To me Flag football is a good game to introduce kids into playing football. The games are different, but I think that kids can have fun and have sucess playing Flag football at a young age. I also think that tee-ball and baseball are different games. I think tee ball can be used to introduce kids into baseball. BUt I would say that

Flag football is to tackle football what tee ball is to baseball.

WOW !

Since we both agree on the major difference of flag vs tackle now.

Please tell me what is so different about t-ball vs baseball....other than the fact that the kids are extremely young and they hit off a tee.

The rules are slightly different to prevent kids from running wild on the bases but its the same game. Plus like I said in an earlier post, the tempo of t-ball & baseball gradually increases as the kid grow and mature, but its the same game.

I do respect your opinion, I'm just trying to understand it.

well I think that alot of what makes a good team is decided by the size of the town your in. Lumberton is the smallest team in our division. because of that we have less budget. and if we get a good coach like we have now, it is by the grace of God, because he is worth more than what we are paying him. Our talent pool is cut way way down because we have barely over 1000 kids. So when you do have a winning season in a smaller town in your division, there is alot to be said there.

Well that doesn't explain teams such as Central and Lumberton. Two years ago' date=' I believe Central went 0-10 and then the next year they win district?[/quote']

Yes, but Central allways has good athletes, Zoneblock thinks that winning is mostly because of the kids athletic ability but he's WRONG !

If he's right, then he can explain to me why P.A. Memorial has trouble winning? I think they signed eight D1 scholorships last year and won very few games (imagine what WOS or Nederland could do with those guys).

They are not the only school with skilled athletes, How bout OZEN ?

Central ? Jasper ? Lincoln Bees, I can go on....And yes, they have all won at times but to be a consistant winner you must have COACHES !

• 6 months later...

good point. for example, dayton wasn't nothing till they got coach stewart and his staff. he brought disipline, and character to the team. he doesn't put up with slackers. they're well coached. made a world of difference. before he came, in 5 years, the broncos only won 4 games. since he's been there, they've been in the playoffs 11 years in a row. maybe not the big one yet, but one day soon, we'll cross that threshold.  ;D

well I think that alot of what makes a good team is decided by the size of the town your in.  Lumberton is the smallest team in our division.  because of that we have less budget.  and if we get a good coach like we have now, it is by the grace of God, because he is worth more than what we are paying him.  Our talent pool is cut way way down because we have barely over 1000 kids.  So when you do have a winning season in a smaller town in your division, there is alot to be said there.

Size means little, in my opinion. In 2000, WO-S went 15-1 and only lost in the title game as one of the smallest schools in all of 4A - and beat the team that won the "big school" championship. WO-S was well outmanned in most of the last decade in 4A, but never had a losing season (since 83). A big talent pool certainly helps, but it's not crippling to be a smaller school - especially not at the 4A level.

I think good programs start with the community itself.  Good people, good parents getting involved and showing support for their children.

Also, a good community involvement means better little leagues, be it baseball, basketball, football or whatever.  Then the paid coaches start to matter in jr. high.  A good athletic director will see to it that his jr. high program is on track.

• 1 month later...

Winning year in and year out starts with a great coach getting 110% out of his athletes.  A good coach may win a state championship, but a great coach develops a sense of tradition in the athletic program that lasts long after he is gone.  The kids are not only playing for their team, they are playing for a greater cause (their community).  Failure to succeed is not just a loss for the team it is a loss for the community they represent.  This tradition (if done correctly) is started in the elementaries where the kids are encouraged to idolize their varsity players (growing up in PNG, when we played street football, we didn't want to be NFL qb's or college qb's we wanted to be Danny Etheridge or whoever the PNG qb was).  The kids grow up desiring to be their hero while playing on Friday night.  If this is done correctly you can win the game with half the talent...

Go back and look at the videos of the PNG dynasty from the 70's.  Their wasn't many games in that dynasty where the talent at PNG dominated, but they won through execution and playing for community pride (having 20,000 fans in the stands helps out too...)

Tradition is the key to winning year in and year out, and to have tradition you must have coaches who understand that it is not about the team, it is about the community and city they represent.

THIS IS WHAT MAKES HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN TEXAS DIFFERENT.

Winning year in and year out starts with a great coach getting 110% out of his athletes.  A good coach may win a state championship, but a great coach develops a sense of tradition in the athletic program that lasts long after he is gone.  The kids are not only playing for their team, they are playing for a greater cause (their community).  Failure to succeed is not just a loss for the team it is a loss for the community they represent.  This tradition (if done correctly) is started in the elementaries where the kids are encouraged to idolize their varsity players (growing up in PNG, when we played street football, we didn't want to be NFL qb's or college qb's we wanted to be Danny Etheridge or whoever the PNG qb was).  The kids grow up desiring to be their hero while playing on Friday night.  If this is done correctly you can win the game with half the talent...

Go back and look at the videos of the PNG dynasty from the 70's.  Their wasn't many games in that dynasty where the talent at PNG dominated, but they won through execution and playing for community pride (having 20,000 fans in the stands helps out too...)

Tradition is the key to winning year in and year out, and to have tradition you must have coaches who understand that it is not about the team, it is about the community and city they represent.

THIS IS WHAT MAKES HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN TEXAS DIFFERENT.

Very well said

Up here winning is everything and it starts at a very young age, losing is not exceptable nor tolerated, The Ville is so geared toward football 365 days a year

Guest DickVitale

What about the other 20 sports, SVille?  Stephenville is not winning THAT much in football to have that mentality.  Southlake Carroll is one of the more successful football programs in recent years and Todd Dodge emphasized TOTAL program while he was there.  Basketball team went to Austin as well a few years back.  Maybe thats why programs like his succeed and some just don't get it, and never will....They won't win state titles either!

What about the other 20 sports, SVille?  Stephenville is not winning THAT much in football to have that mentality.  Southlake Carroll is one of the more successful football programs in recent years and Todd Dodge emphasized TOTAL program while he was there.  Basketball team went to Austin as well a few years back.  Maybe thats why programs like his succeed and some just don't get it, and never will....They won't win state titles either!

What are you talking about ???

Not winning that much in football I guess you do not know that much about Stephenville football championships or traditions. If you need help look at my signature.

You just need to keep cruising topics and posting your mindless thoughts ;D

Guest DickVitale

;D NO, man I know Stephenville has a solid program, I was talking about lately.  You guys won 4 total championships.  SL Carroll has won 4 in 5 years!  That is what I was talking about.  I was speaking on why football is "king" and thought of 365 days a year there, even when basketball and other sports are going on.  SL Carroll has a TOTAL program and thus they are successful across the board.  Focusing on one sport is selfish and is not in the best interest of all athletes.  Mindless?? ??? Give me a break...and some credit, too, please!!! ;)

We are a Football school first, They have had success in other sports won state titles as well. Football is king in Tx. There are alot of schools like this all over Tx

Look at Lufkin for example what are they known for other than football certainly not their soccer program.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami