Bears face Raiders in pivotal 20-4A tilt

[b]Bears face Raiders in pivotal 20-4A tilt

Van Wade
The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS —[/b] Two squads that suffered tough setbacks last week both look to keep their slim playoff hopes alive in District 20-4A tonight when the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears welcome the Lumberton Raiders to Battlin’ Bear Stadium.

The Bears (3-5,1-4) fell to third-place Vidor 49-15 last week while the Raiders (4-4, 1-4) dropped a 39-6 decision to first-place Port Neches-Groves.

“It should be a good little battle,” said LC-M coach Randy Crouch. “Lumberton plays a very physical brand of football. Their linebacker (Anthony Beard) might be the best in the area.”

The Bears check in averaging 275.6 yards a game offensively while the Raider defense allows 281.4.

The contest will feature 20-4A’s top two leading passers in Lumberton quarterback Ryan Hughes and LC-M quarterback Hunter Gonzales. LC-M also has the area’s leading receiver in Zack Sonnier.

Gonzales has completed 125-of-217 passes for 1,305 yards and seven touchdowns. Sonnier has been on the receiving end 65 times for 724 yards and seven TDs. Johnny Epps, a solid defensive back, also has 23 receptions for 225 yards and a TD receiving.

Tevvin Jones leads the Bear ground attack with 467 yards and three TDs on 78 carries. Gonzales also has 267 yards on the ground and nine TDs.

“Both teams are pretty evenly matched,” said Crouch. “The field could be sloppy after all the rain we are supposedly getting. It might be one of those deals where turnovers could be the deciding factor.”

The Bear defense, which is allowing a district-high 355.4 yards a gain, will look to slow down a balanced Raider attack that is gobbling up 297.1yards an outing.

Hughes has completed 85-of-152 passes for 1,327 yards and 10 TDs.

His favorite targets have been Jesse Sparks (23-349-3), Kyler Keith (17-345-3) and Chase McDonald (14-293-1).

Hughes also leads the ground attack with 364 yards and a TD on 83 carries. Tailback Ryan Asher has rumbled for 321 yards and six TDs on 76 totes.

“They are extremely balanced and that Hughes kid is pretty accurate,” said Crouch. “They’ll give our defense a challenge. It should be a great game. It’s the last home game for our seniors so I know they would like to play really well.”

[quote name="Bobcatfan4life" post="689594" timestamp="1256842462"]

Van Wade
The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS —[/b] Two squads that suffered tough setbacks last week both look to keep their slim playoff hopes alive in District 20-4A tonight when the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears welcome the Lumberton Raiders to Battlin’ Bear Stadium.

The Bears (3-5,1-4) fell to third-place Vidor 49-15 last week while the Raiders (4-4, 1-4) dropped a 39-6 decision to first-place Port Neches-Groves.

“It should be a good little battle,” said LC-M coach Randy Crouch. “Lumberton plays a very physical brand of football. Their linebacker (Anthony Beard) might be the best in the area.”

The Bears check in averaging 275.6 yards a game offensively while the Raider defense allows 281.4.

The contest will feature 20-4A’s top two leading passers in Lumberton quarterback Ryan Hughes and LC-M quarterback Hunter Gonzales. LC-M also has the area’s leading receiver in Zack Sonnier.

Gonzales has completed 125-of-217 passes for 1,305 yards and seven touchdowns. Sonnier has been on the receiving end 65 times for 724 yards and seven TDs. Johnny Epps, a solid defensive back, also has 23 receptions for 225 yards and a TD receiving.

Tevvin Jones leads the Bear ground attack with 467 yards and three TDs on 78 carries. Gonzales also has 267 yards on the ground and nine TDs.

“Both teams are pretty evenly matched,” said Crouch. “The field could be sloppy after all the rain we are supposedly getting. It might be one of those deals where turnovers could be the deciding factor.”

The Bear defense, which is allowing a district-high 355.4 yards a gain, will look to slow down a balanced Raider attack that is gobbling up 297.1yards an outing.

His favorite targets have been Jesse Sparks (23-349-3), Kyler Keith (17-345-3) and Chase McDonald (14-293-1).

Hughes also leads the ground attack with 364 yards and a TD on 83 carries. Tailback Ryan Asher has rumbled for 321 yards and six TDs on 76 totes.

“They are extremely balanced and that Hughes kid is pretty accurate,” said Crouch. “They’ll give our defense a challenge. It should be a great game. It’s the last home game for our seniors so I know they would like to play really well.”
[/quote]I really think that Lumberton has this one hands down in my opinion.

[quote name="James Chandler" post="690381" timestamp="1256914847"]
[quote author=Bobcatfan4life link=topic=61508.msg689594#msg689594 date=1256842462]

Van Wade
The Orange Leader

[/quote]I really think that Lumberton has this one hands down in my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree. Raiders by double digits.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="690435" timestamp="1256917674"]
Somone tell me if I'm wrong.  If Lumberton wins out and Ozen loses out, then Lumberton is the 4th place team.  That would mean we would play Dayton 1st round or Crosby?  Disappointed by this season.  Lumberton has been it own worst enemy this year. 
[/quote]

Of course, if LCM wins out, and Ozen loses out, then the scenario would be the same for the Bears...of course, I am looking at this game first...taking care of first things first.  That's how you "win out"...don't worry about next week till it gets here...then win that one, and so forth...

[quote name="Domination Station" post="690660" timestamp="1256928009"]
Can anyone report on the condition of LCM's field?  Does it drain well?  Was it by chance tarped?
[/quote]

Dang DS, Coach Griff only tarps the baseball field...I don't know if Coach Crouch tarps the football field...

[quote name="77" post="690713" timestamp="1256930267"]
[quote author=Domination Station link=topic=61508.msg690660#msg690660 date=1256928009]
Can anyone report on the condition of LCM's field?  Does it drain well?  Was it by chance tarped?
[/quote]Tarped, youve got to be joking right?
[/quote] :) :D ;D ;) ???

Wow, since it wasn't tarped.  Maybe we could get the helicopters and dry it out.....or maybe roll out a big roll of that green outdoor carpet from Home Depot.... ;D.  I know, can I call Burnett and schedule this game at the Rez???  Boys better put your all terrain tires on cause it's gonna be muddy at the Bear's den.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami