Observation

Seems like all the area kids that are playing on in the next level play for Sundevils or GTB......................are these the only kids getting looked at?  With that observation in mind, do the high school players that are not fortunate enough to be on one of these teams stand much of a chance getting looked at?  I think it's great what these organizations do, but what happens to the other players that aren't associated with these types of teams? 

Guest Ranger83

Seems like all the area kids that are playing on in the next level play for Sundevils or GTB......................are these the only kids getting looked at?  With that observation in mind, do the high school players that are not fortunate enough to be on one of these teams stand much of a chance getting looked at?  I think it's great what these organizations do, but what happens to the other players that aren't associated with these types of teams? 

Like I have said before, Summer teams provide exposure that high school teams can not. If you where a college or pro scout, you want to go somewhere where you could see more than just one player. That is what these teams, and the tournaments they play in, provide.

It also lets the scouts see a player against a quality opponent. Something you may not get in high school until you are fortunate enough to play deep into the playoffs.

With that being said, if you have enough talent, they will find you. A lot of that depends on you and your high school coach "marketing" you and your abilities.

I guess I should've made my post a little clearer and didn't mean just these two teams I mentioned but that kids playing on these types ofe teams seem to be the one's getting the chance to play on in the next level.  Don't hear much about kids that just play high school ball and aren't part of any of these sort of organizations.  Seems like a kid needs to get on one of these showcase teams to get any looks versus just playing high school.  Guess a kid wanting to get noticed should make a point of getting a team to play for other than hs or they may get left out in the cold!  I know the Sun Devils pick and choose players and it's by invitation only, but do the other teams in the area have tryouts or do they do as the SD's?

Guest Ranger83

I guess I should've made my post a little clearer and didn't mean just these two teams I mentioned but that kids playing on these types ofe teams seem to be the one's getting the chance to play on in the next level.  Don't hear much about kids that just play high school ball and aren't part of any of these sort of organizations.  Seems like a kid needs to get on one of these showcase teams to get any looks versus just playing high school.  Guess a kid wanting to get noticed should make a point of getting a team to play for other than hs or they may get left out in the cold!  I know the Sun Devils pick and choose players and it's by invitation only, but do the other teams in the area have tryouts or do they do as the SD's?

Most teams have tryouts. You can "Google" search some of the larger organizations or just look on this board for the ones that post information from time to time.

Getting to the heart of your two observations/questions.  First, there are a few local options for high school players to showcase their talents on a select team.  There are the two you mentioned, Sun Devils and GTB.  There is also Gladiators and TPX Baseball.  If you want to go a little farther east, there is Bullet Baseball in Lake Charles.  All of these teams have tryouts.  In many cases, they are invited tryouts.  But tryouts are not exclusive to invited tryouts.  Gladiators, for instance, have had open tryouts the past summer and fall seasons.   Those tryout dates were posted on this web site.

Second, does a player have a better opportunity to be seen in one of these programs, absolutely.  One of the previous posts talked about a scout seeing multiple players of exceptional talent on one select team.  Whereas, most area high schools are lucky to have two.  LCM's senior class last year was an exceptional class.  Furthermore, organizations invite scouts down for private work outs.  Sun Devils have had several times where they have private work outs with scouts invited down to their facility.  Chris Fackler does an exceptional job coordinating tournaments at Lamar where no less than half dozen scouts attend.  Most of the teams in those tournaments are select organizations like GTB, Gladiators, and even some teams from other parts of the U.S.

The focus of all these select organizations is to prepare their players for the next level.  There are advocates within each organization who try to market their players to colleges and junior colleges.  

There are an incredible number of talented baseball players in this area.  We are lucky to have as many fine organizations as we do.  Furthermore, this area is lucky to have people like Chip Ferguson, Chris Fackler, Sam Moore, and Morgan Walker who have been there and can pass along their knowledge to the players of SE Texas.

Perfect Game has individual showcases a few times a year. If your kid is not on a select team, then this could be an option. They run, hit, throw, play a few games, then give them a grade that could be helpful with scouts.  These events are attended by 100's of scouts.  Its not cheap, but worth the money if your kid is talented.

For the record, the Sun Devils have had some tryouts in the past.  Plus, if anybody contacts us (and we don't already know the player), we hold individual tryouts and/or tryout with our team.

I was given incorrect info on the Sun Devils apparently!  Sorry about that.  My son played for the Big Timers for awhile, played with a Houston Team a few games, and has had lessons from Morgan, Chris, Sam, etc, a few years ago, but not recently.  I just always hear of players off of these teams getting scholorships and not much from kids who don't  and I was curious as to whether scouts even came to high school games much anymore.

Getting to the heart of your two observations/questions.  First, there are a few local options for high school players to showcase their talents on a select team.  There are the two you mentioned, Sun Devils and GTB.  There is also Gladiators and TPX Baseball.  If you want to go a little farther east, there is Bullet Baseball in Lake Charles.  All of these teams have tryouts.  In many cases, they are invited tryouts.  But tryouts are not exclusive to invited tryouts.  Gladiators, for instance, have had open tryouts the past summer and fall seasons.   Those tryout dates were posted on this web site.

Second, does a player have a better opportunity to be seen in one of these programs, absolutely.  One of the previous posts talked about a scout seeing multiple players of exceptional talent on one select team.  Whereas, most area high schools are lucky to have two.  LCM's senior class last year was an exceptional class.  Furthermore, organizations invite scouts down for private work outs.  Sun Devils have had several times where they have private work outs with scouts invited down to their facility.  Chris Fackler does an exceptional job coordinating tournaments at Lamar where no less than half dozen scouts attend.  Most of the teams in those tournaments are select organizations like GTB, Gladiators, and even some teams from other parts of the U.S.

The focus of all these select organizations is to prepare their players for the next level.  There are advocates within each organization who try to market their players to colleges and junior colleges.  

There are an incredible number of talented baseball players in this area.  We are lucky to have as many fine organizations as we do.  Furthermore, this area is lucky to have people like Chip Ferguson, Chris Fackler, Sam Moore, and Morgan Walker who have been there and can pass along their knowledge to the players of SE Texas.

Thanks very much for the info, guess I didn't pay much attention to the posted tryouts and I did not know that the Gladiators even existed anymnore (son played for Morgan several years on the Gladiators 12u I think).  And as he is a senior now, looks like he may have missed the boat as far as getting involved in these teams unfortunately, so hopefully he can get help from Coach Landry to  play on.  Again I appreciate all the info, I learned alot............just wish I'd have asked these questions before now!

Thanks very much for the info, guess I didn't pay much attention to the posted tryouts and I did not know that the Gladiators even existed anymnore (son played for Morgan several years on the Gladiators 12u I think).  And as he is a senior now, looks like he may have missed the boat as far as getting involved in these teams unfortunately, so hopefully he can get help from Coach Landry to  play on.  Again I appreciate all the info, I learned alot............just wish I'd have asked these questions before now!

Actually, Gladiator Baseball is alive and well.  For the older ages, we have teams for ages 15-18.  We have a fall team and summer team.  If you are interested in a tryout, e-mail me at [email protected].  Thanks, Dave Morrow

It may seem like a correct 'observation', but it is not.....

Many other kids are playing in college that did not play for the Sun Devils or GT.  The kids that come to mind are all from LC-M.  I'm sure there are many others.

Tim Barry - Blinn Junior College, Matt Johnson - Chattanooga State, Taylor Thompson - Tyler Junior College and Stefan Cloeren - Univ of Houston.  They had one other kid sign w/ Blinn, too, but he opted out of baseball alltogether. Stefan, Tim and Matt did play for the GT predecessor, which was the Big Timers.  Taylor played for First Round Baseball (Skip Buchholz).  I think Matt and Tim played for First Round some, also.

All of these boys have taken many lessons from the likes of Chris Fackler, Sam Moore, Morgan Walker, Jeremy Green, John Patterson, Garry Ridge and many, many more.

These are just the kids I know of and the main reason this occurs (other than talent) is 'exposure'.  The more people that see you, the more chance you have of being 'recruited'.

Coach Griff takes a VERY active role in placing these kids.....few other coaches get the placement results that he does.

Next Level, your post confused me.  You started out by saying the LCM players did not play for SD or GTB but then say

they played for Big Timers, a predecessor of GTB .  I believe BCcardbacker was asking if her son does not play for a "showcase" team in addition to his high school team, what are his chances of being seen by scouts and advancing to play at the next level.  

Actually all of these young men from LCM have been playing ball with various travel teams for many years.

Not to take anything away from Coach Griff, but they were exceptional ball players before they entered in high school. This was due to the players dedication and love of the sport.  I do agree however that Coach Griff was a great influence and made sure his players were seen by all available scouts. 

Best of luck to all the guys with college ball. Here's hoping the next level of scouts will see you there and you can continue with your dreams.                     

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder