The Livingston offense is one-dimensional.....

I wrote this at the end of the PNG v Livingston thread but I don't know how often people will get that far in the thread or if it will get lost in there so I started this new thred for it:

"You people do realize that for TWO straight years everyone's BREAKDOWN of these games involving Livingston has been:

"....if you can stop the run we will blow them out"

"....if Livingston is one-dimensional they will lose"

yada, yada, yada

For two years you have all said Livingston was too one-dimensional and that they couldn't beat anyone because of that and yet for TWO STRAIGHT years they have gone 7-2 in this district being one-dimensional and put up OVER 400 yards of offense on the mighty Dayton Broncos last year and was by all accounts the second best team in Region III by the end of the year according to Bronco's coaches themselves.  Ask any of those coaches at Dayton and they will tell you that the toughest game they had the ENTIRE season last year, besides the State Championship game, was against Livingston.

When are you guys going to change and actually understand that maybe you don't know what your talking about when it comes to that offensive football team week in and week out.  I agree their defense is atrocious but district 20-4A is having a tough time stopping that running game I can promise you."

I wrote this at the end of the PNG v Livingston thread but I don't know how often people will get that far in the thread or if it will get lost in there so I started this new thred for it:

"You people do realize that for TWO straight years everyone's BREAKDOWN of these games involving Livingston has been:

yada, yada, yada

For two years you have all said Livingston was too one-dimensional and that they couldn't beat anyone because of that and yet for TWO STRAIGHT years they have gone 7-2 in this district being one-dimensional and put up OVER 400 yards of offense on the mighty Dayton Broncos last year and was by all accounts the second best team in Region III by the end of the year according to Bronco's coaches themselves.  Ask any of those coaches at Dayton and they will tell you that the toughest game they had the ENTIRE season last year, besides the State Championship game, was against Livingston.

When are you guys going to change and actually understand that maybe you don't know what your talking about when it comes to that offensive football team week in and week out.  I agree their defense is atrocious but district 20-4A is having a tough time stopping that running game I can promise you."

I say if it's not broke, then don't fix it.  I understand what you are going through.  We ran a ball control run offense last year.  and trust me, it wasn't the funnest thing to watch, but it got the job done.  the problem will arise IF a team have the horses to stop it.  You have to be comfortable to pass the ball to be able to pass it consistantly.  but by all means, if it works, keep with it.  Power running helped us march 4 rounds deep in the playoffs last year, but against Friendswood, it was our undoing.

I say if it's not broke, then don't fix it.  I understand what you are going through.  We ran a ball control run offense last year.  and trust me, it wasn't the funnest thing to watch, but it got the job done.  the problem will arise IF a team have the horses to stop it.  You have to be comfortable to pass the ball to be able to pass it consistantly.  but by all means, if it works, keep with it.  Power running helped us march 4 rounds deep in the playoffs last year, but against Friendswood, it was our undoing.

I agree completely BMT.

Livingston is an awesome team and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the rest of their games in 20-4A play.  But when a team passes 2-3 times a game, they are definitely one dimensional from that stand point.  Obviously the Lions are very good at running the ball and are exceptional with their play fakes.  Their runners cut and juke as they hit the holes and makes it even harder to stop.  Their runners are strong and can move the pile.  The O line is big, so they have all the ingredients to being a successful run team.  A little more passing would be a killer and would keep the opposing defenses honest and the D-backs from cheating up on the line.  Go Lions.

Domination, I agree with you and there are definite things they could do to improve their offense.  It's just so stupid to hear week after week that team X is going to perform some kind of miracle and completely STOP Livingston because they run the ball.  I agree they are one-dimensional but it's not as easy to stop them as most of the fans, PNG fans this week, believe that it is.  Next week it will be the LCM fans and the next week it will be the Nederland fans.  It's just comical that each and every weeks prognosis is "Team X will win because they will stop the Lions running game".

I know what you're saying and agree; at some point, it may haunt you and maybe not in district play.  Lumberton had a big line and three good backs last year and we rode that horse all the way into the first round of the playoffs and we went home quickly.  Vidor is similar and they lost to Central 57-56.  One thing for sure, there is a lot of interesting games to come in 20-4A.  I still think Livingston will make their mark, no doubt about it after what I've seen.  Didn't the Lions have a decent passing attack last year with Harris?

If you mean letting him drop pass and then scramble?  Then yes they did!!!

Seriously though, they were decent at best when they got in their spread doubles formation but they weren't going to straight up beat you with it.  It was not their forte and even in the spread, 4 wide stuff they use it to spread the defense out and run on people with their speed.  They did score some in quick bubble screen type stuff to the inside receiver so it was somewhat effective but when they are lined up to run in their tight stuff they are usually going to run it.

I know what you're saying and agree; at some point, it may haunt you and maybe not in district play.  Lumberton had a big line and three good backs last year and we rode that horse all the way into the first round of the playoffs and we went home quickly.  Vidor is similar and they lost to Central 57-56.  One thing for sure, there is a lot of interesting games to come in 20-4A.  I still think Livingston will make their mark, no doubt about it after what I've seen.  Didn't the Lions have a decent passing attack last year with Harris?

Nope.  They still ran the ball but was way more dangerous with Harris as the homerun threat.

You know the one team that Livingston should be the MOST worried about, they should be wary of everyone, is Central.  For you non football types let me let you in on a little secret about this district.  With the exception of Central and Ozen, the rest of these teams are not very fast.  Ozen has just not been coached well the past few years so that hurts them but Central has and they can ABSOLUTELY FLY to the ball.  PNG, Lumberton, Vidor, LCM and Nederland are just not fast enough to keep up with some of these backs Livingston has.  They hit the hole so hard and fast that the LB's are left standing there.  I'm not talking about straight up 40 speed, I am talking about football speed and from what I have seen of this Lions team they have been able to turn some runs in to big gainers because their backs can fly comparatively.

I know last year Central's defense over-whelmed Livingston in the first half because everytime Livingston tried to run there was another defender, because they brought the HOUSE, sitting on the edge to stop him and they were fast enough to do it.  Livingston adjusted by hitting them up the middle on some traps and the Dustin Harris show happened but don't mistake anything, Central DOMINATED the first half because Livingston had not seen speed like that.

You don't think PNG has heard that one before? "they just aren't fast enough"  ::)

The key to beating the Lions IMO is to make them punt a handfull of times and just flat out outscore them. Score everytime you get the ball! You won't shut them (Livingston) down completely and if you think you will you are fooling yourself, but their defense is very suspect!

Good luck Lions.

You don't think PNG has heard that one before? "they just aren't fast enough"  ::)

I know you guys have heard it before but even people on this board last year were making comments about the team speed Livingston had when they beat yall opening up the reservation.  I'm not trying to trash your players I am just saying things that people have said over the past year or so.

"PNG, Lumberton, Vidor, LCM and Nederland are just not fast enough to keep up with some of these backs Livingston has....."

Lumberton BEAT them already?

Your right. Let me clarify something my post was directed at the Livingston Offense and its ability to move the ball because of their backs and such.  Lumberton beat Livingston because their defense is atrocious.  They can't stop a fist punching a wet paper towel.  That's what I mean't by all that.  Lumberton didn't stop the offensively at all and I know Lumberton has a pretty decent defense.  Livingston was just running from their defenders MOST of the game, not all of it.  It is the speed that kept them scoring.

Sorry if there was any confusion because you are correct Lumberton did already beat them but they didn't stop them very well.  If Livingston had an average defense they would be SCARY good this year or last.

8) I think you may be underestimating the speed that PNG has on their D !!! I'm not going to sit on here and argue over this match up alot with anyone. I think Livingston has a great offensive team, they can run the ball. Their D may be lacking, but........PNG does have a decent D. This game will be a good one. To bad your stadium won't allow us to actually have our fan base for the team.

The stadium is a different topic and a sour one at that.  Livingston is in the wrong district with that stadium, and it will be known at the end of this year.  They either need to rent a home field or improve theirs.  I've heard they have tried, but cannot get the bond to pass.  Either way, this is a big problem in this district.

Of the playoff teams Dayton faced last year, Livingston would have beaten any of them in Region III (don't think they could have beat Tivy and no way could they have beated Sulphur Springs).

I did see PN-G play Texas City this year.

They have a good offense, but the speed just isn't there for a deep playoff run.

If the same Livingston team that played Dayton last year played the PN-G team I saw against Texas City, I would have to give the edge to Livingston.

That being said, for PN-G to win they will have to do what Lumberton did, outscore the Lions, which isn't hard because the Livinston defense isn't much to shout about.

This is truly a Goliath(PNG) vs. David(Livingston) matchup I mean you guys have it all tradition,facilities, a fancy new offense, a coach from Permian, and a large fan base.

Little ole Livingston is over here with just an old fashioned offense,not many fans,and a broken down old stadium you guys should be ashamed if you do loose.

After all look what your stadium did for ya'll last year!!!!!!!!

There is no way Livingston can beat PN-G with a one dimensional offense. I can picture PN-G winning this game 37 – 14. The Indians are a contender for the playoffs.

So was everyone last year and with the same offense as this year they went 6-1 in district.  That's poor reasoning.

They have a good offense, but the speed just isn't there for a deep playoff run.

I know you guys have heard it before but even people on this board last year were making comments about the team speed Livingston had when they beat yall opening up the reservation. 

That's the same thing the fans from Brazosport, Lamarque and Shertz Clemens said about us in 1999. Ask them how that turned out for them. Speed is not the be all end all. Execution wins more games than speed! Ask Dodge and his slow teams from Southlake or Katy.

I know you guys have heard it before but even people on this board last year were making comments about the team speed Livingston had when they beat yall opening up the reservation. 

That's the same thing the fans from Brazosport, Lamarque and Shertz Clemens said about us in 1999. Ask them how that turned out for them. Speed is not the be all end all. Execution wins more games than speed! Ask Dodge and his slow teams from Southlake or Katy.

Katy and southlake have their share of speed you better believe that.

You guys are the ones who are one demensional your saying that with the speed of Livingston will be the determining factor in this game. PNG is playing good foot ball on offense and will put up points on Livingston. If that Doty kid plays like he did the other night they will put up a bushell. NowPNG can Run the heck out of the ball and Doty can light you up. Now lets talk about defense for you fans in Livingston PNG has the top ranked defense in 204a and in the region at this time. I guareente you that there defense is better than you guys think. This should be a good game wish I could watch but I wont try and take a seat on the Indians side because I not an Indian and would not want to take that from them. 

yada, yada, yada

Uh, I agree with most of your statement there bud, Livingston is a tough team, only problem is you went 7-1 in this district only ONE year so far, as this is the second year since Livingston entered district 20-4A. Now, will Livingston do the same this year, who knows, but yeah, Livingston is one tough Lion to deal with, luckily Lumberton got you guys the first district game so we get to get you guys while you're still gelling, good luck the rest of the year and take it to PNG and Vidor and everyone else you have left.LOL ;)

Good post Jackthehammer, as always you are the voice of reason! Very good analysis of the PN-G team.I wish you could come and sit with us this friday in Livingston--it would be fun! I'll be there and I hope to see a great game from the Indians! Good luck to Livingston and I hope for an injury-free game from both teams!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder