Vidor/Central after the game........

piratefan

The local news paper in Vidor puts out a paper every week. BUT they do not have a website or a link I can credit the news paper for. This is parts of a article that came out today.

The Vidorian shopper:

In addition to teaching the game Coach Mathews said he and his staff try to teach life lessons to the players. "We try to teach the kids life lessons and things we want to do,and one of the goals I have here at at Vidor is I want to change how people outside of Vidor look at us," he said. Five years ago,Donald Stowers who was their head coach over there (Central) decided we were going to pray together to show kids of different colors it doesn't matter," Mathews said. "We've done it every year but this year I didn't do it. I just forgot about it. Without having to tell them,the kids got together. The Central kids and the Vidor kids showed respect and hugged eachother after we had already shaken hands.  They got together,they prayed together and I think that's a great life lesson. Learning to judge a man by what's inside of him, not what he looks outside.

The thing we started five years ago was carried over. It's not that Donald and I were doing it, it was something the kids believe in. The kids show respect for each other".

Coach Mathews said Central running backs O'Neal and Daw came over after the game and hugged him and said 'Coach Mathews, keep your head up,y'all did a great job'.

"That showed a lot of class by those kids. Five years ago,when we played Central there was no talking after the game. You could feel the tension. Now the kids have a lot of respect for each other. Our kids are crying after the game and they would walk over and hug them and tell them to keep their heads up. That says a lot about them."

Very, Very classy. These young men, parents, coaches and fans need to remember that these are just young, soon to be adults. It is just a game and the game should be fun to play. At he end of the game respect should always bee given to the other team, win or loose. Everyone needs to understand that both teams have put the same effort and work into the game but only one team can win.

Very classy by the kids.  The game was an all out war and after all that was said an done the kids came over to pray together without being forced to do it.  This is a different day in time that we are comming to.  Our kids are leading by example.  I think some of us ignorant adults can learn from these fine young gentlemen. 

Also, I think that our RB's must have heard the newscast where Matthews called the Central players by name, and wanted to repay the honor.  To Daw and O'Neal, that's that way Jags are supposed to act.  We too have a reputation of being a rowdy bunch out here and you can hear it all outside of Beaumont that we're this and we're that (words I rather not say on here, but you get the point). 

Much respect for the Vidor program!  Your raising these kids the right way!

Very classy by the kids.  The game was an all out war and after all that was said an done the kids came over to pray together without being forced to do it.  This is a different day in time that we are comming to.  Our kids are leading by example.  I think some of us ignorant adults can learn from these fine young gentlemen. 

Also, I think that our RB's must have heard the newscast where Matthews called the Central players by name, and wanted to repay the honor.  To Daw and O'Neal, that's that way Jags are supposed to act.  We too have a reputation of being a rowdy bunch out here and you can hear it all outside of Beaumont that we're this and we're that (words I rather not say on here, but you get the point). 

Much respect for the Vidor program!  Your raising these kids the right way!

Thanks Soulja,

You know it takes us "the new generation" to change mind sets and behaviors.  Give us a chance, we are really trying and making progress.  I had a son graduate in 07 and the other in 09.  My sons were raised to respect everyone for what they are, not how they look.

Yes it is...the story brought a few tears to my eyes.

It would be wonderful if actions such as those displayed at the Central/Vidor game would become TRADITION in this entire area. I for one, think what was done after this game was exceptional and transcended customary sportsmanship.  I think we as adults sometimes forget that these are teenagers playing a game.  Say what ya want, but there are more important things in life than HS football.   What these young men are learning on the football field during the game can help shape their lives...what these kids are learning during their post game exhange is PRICELESS.

Congratulations to both teams for their actions that speak volumes about their character.

I have a kid playing in STJFL for Vidor and I coach there so I am around a lot of parents during the week. There have been several parents talking this week about the sportsmanship from friday night. I have a lot of respect for Central especially since Coach Stowers came to town and the Central players and coaches actions from Friday night have earned them A LOT more repsect from people in Vidor. You guys have a lot of new fans over here. My father in law was a ref when Stowers first took over at Central and he did a couple of their games that year. He told me those kids and Stowers were very classy and respectful to the refs and other teams. 

Extremely classy, respectful, and a show of the first class character of these young men. 

Although many would hope that their school and kids would do this same type thing, this isn't something you can force...maybe that's the beauty of it in the first place.

Maybe "Dreams" do come true.

I think the world of these ideas. Great job by the coaches and the kids you all have my respect. Its much deserved. Congrats to both schools for your effort in last weeks game I for one have a new respect for both your teams. You guys showed you deserve to be in the top of 20-4a this season.

There was a thread recently about shaking hand after the game. this goes above and beyond what is called good sportsmanship. this type of respect (I would hope) should be echoed throughout our district as well as everywhere else. when we learn to humble ourselves and lift others up, especially after a hard fought loss, shows that these young men are a reflction of their leadership. great article!

i have been around the sport of football all my life and it has always amazed me how a simple game can do so much for young men. It can give the disciplen, courage,motivation, it teaches them that hard work will always pay off. But it isnt the sport alone that teaches theese life lessons. The coaches are the people that will always make a difference in an athlete life sometimes a win isnt necessarly only won on the fld it can be won when a child can judge an oponent by their character and not their color or when the so called thug goes to college and not to jail. With the standards that the coaches have put in place and the standars that the kids in the program live by......theese two teams will always be successful

I was a sophmore starting qb in a inner city 5A High School in Houston....I wasn't a bad athlete, football season finished, I wanted to play basketball.  I showed up for try outs and the coach walked over to me and said, " Reyes, how many Mexicans do you see in the NBA?"  I looked him square in the eyes and said, "your right coach"...I walked off the floor.  I continued to play for church leagues and in the street with my fellow "Mexicans"...two years later, I was a senior...we had a "lock up" at our school.  There was a basketball tournament, of course the basketball team stuck together.  Well, here comes little Reyes with his fellow "non NBA future Mexicans".  We whipped the shizzle out of every team including the basketball team by 20 points....I won the free throw contest, went 10 for 10 in every round...and won the 3 point contest....Don't judge a book by it's cover. :D :D

Later in the Marine Corps I encountered something very similar....I had played my last year of football and decided to try out for the basketball team(my body was talking to me)...Well, here we go again...so I thought, this time the coach gave me a spot... on the bench.  The average age was 19-20 yrs old, almost everyone was 6'2 or taller(I'm 5'10 on high heels).  I rode the bench for 6 games, practiced hard, and did everything I was asked.  Some of the kids on the team called me Grandpa.  Anyway, we're getting our but kicked at half time...coach(our 64 yr old Colonel) leans over and says Reyes your playing the 3rd Qtr....I come off the bench and score 18 points in the 3rd quarter...he benched me in the fourth and I walked out.  ;D ;D

Some people are afraid of change....how hard was it back in the day to let blacks play football and basketball??  What this Country needs is to realize that color does not matter....THE LAND OF THE FREE HOME OF THE BRAVE....not land of the black and some white, with a lil brown and yellow... 9/11 changed our view of racism and united us....They boys from Central and the boys from Ozen that know me....respect me, because I respect them...as young men.  That's where the generation before us was wrong... :o :o

I will always crack jokes about any race(including my own), but I do it in there face...so they can can see my expression and know it's ok to talk mess...we live in a different time...Are we ready to move on??  8) 8)

• 3 months later...
I figured I would re-post this. Maybe the Crosby big wigs will see it and see how dumb they look.
 By the way keep your head up Vidor.You haven't done anything wrong.A coach tried to schedule a football game for his high school and Crosby decided VIDOR was the one with the problem.Maybe Crosby Sup. and school board needs to look in the mirror  instead of looking our way.

Guest pirates
[quote name="piratefan" post="751765" timestamp="1264818029"]
I figured I would re-post this. Maybe the Crosby big wigs will see it and see how dumb they look.
 By the way keep your head up Vidor.You haven't done anything wrong.A coach tried to schedule a football game for his high school and Crosby decided VIDOR was the one with the problem.Maybe Crosby Sup. and school board needs to look in the mirror  instead of looking our way.
[/quote]

One correction, Vidor and Crosby had already scheduled and it was final.  Crosby then called back and cancelled.

[quote name="piratefan" post="659740" timestamp="1254319049"]
The local news paper in Vidor puts out a paper every week. BUT they do not have a website or a link I can credit the news paper for. This is parts of a article that came out today.
   [b]The Vidorian shopper[/b]:
   In addition to teaching the game Coach Mathews said he and his staff try to teach life lessons to the players. "We try to teach the kids life lessons and things we want to do,and one of the goals I have here at at Vidor is I want to change how people outside of Vidor look at us," he said. Five years ago,Donald Stowers who was their head coach over there (Central) decided we were going to pray together to show kids of different colors it doesn't matter," Mathews said. "We've done it every year but this year I didn't do it. I just forgot about it. Without having to tell them,the kids got together. The Central kids and the Vidor kids showed respect and hugged eachother after we had already shaken hands.  They got together,they prayed together and I think that's a great life lesson. Learning to judge a man by what's inside of him, not what he looks outside.
The thing we started five years ago was carried over. It's not that Donald and I were doing it, it was something the kids believe in. The kids show respect for each other".
Coach Mathews said Central running backs O'Neal and Daw came over after the game and hugged him and said 'Coach Mathews, keep your head up,y'all did a great job'.
"That showed a lot of class by those kids. Five years ago,when we played Central there was no talking after the game. You could feel the tension. Now the kids have a lot of respect for each other. Our kids are crying after the game and they would walk over and hug them and tell them to keep their heads up. That says a lot about them."
[/quote]What class shown by this team. Im amazed to hear about this. These young men are very mature and respectful.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317