If Kelly wanted to..

Scalpem06

or any private high school..

can they recruit players for football and/or other sports?

According to TAPPS By-Laws, Section 87, the answer is no.  Below is the full text:

A. SOLICITATION Unlike public schools, our member schools are not aided by geographically drawn attendance zones to provide a given student enrollment base. Families choose private and parochial schools for a variety of reasons other than geographic location, such as religious affiliation, parental participation, class size, academic programs, faculty and staff. For our member schools to survive, it is essential to solicit families to choose one of our member schools to educate their child / children.

a. Forms of Acceptable Solicitation

i. Billboard Advertising

ii. Mailings

iii. Open House

iv. Campus Visits to feeder schools

v. Visits to churches

vi. Those things that promote the school to prospective families.

b. Examples of Unacceptable Solicitation The unacceptable solicitation of students by school personnel, school volunteers, parents, or any other third party is a violation of TAPPS rules and may result in the loss of the affected student’s eligibility to participate in TAPPS events.

i. School personnel campus visits targeting athletes

ii. Mailings to specific athletes or groups of athletes

iii. Open House for athletes

iv. Tryouts or combines for athletes

v. Those things that target specific students for their athletic ability

vi. Materials that negatively reflect on other TAPPS member schools

B. INDUCEMENT What is not to be included in the solicitation or retention of students is the inducement of students by a member school. The inducement of students by school personnel, school volunteers, parents, or any other third party is a violation of TAPPS rules and may result in the loss of the affected student’s eligibility to participate in TAPPS events. Inducement includes but is not limited to the following:

a. Offer or acceptance of the payment of tuition

b. Offer or acceptance of a reduction in tuition payments (outside of School Financial Aid Programs)

c. Offer or acceptance of board

d. Offer or acceptance of lodging

e. Offer or acceptance of transportation

f. Offer or acceptance of a job for a parent or guardian

Section 87 Solicitation of Students 2009-

g. Offer or acceptance of payment for athletic camp registration

h. Offer or acceptance of payment for summer conditioning programs, or conditioning camps

i. Offer or acceptance of cash payments

j. Offer or promise of University or college scholarships

k. Offer or acceptance of free or reduced cost private instruction

l. Offer or acceptance of any other valuable consideration

C. TAMPERING Tampering is not to be included in the solicitation of students by school personnel, school volunteers, parents, or any other third party. Tampering is a violation of TAPPS rules and may result in the loss of the affected student’s eligibility to participate in TAPPS events. Tampering occurs when any of the afore mentioned people directly or indirectly

a. Entices

b. Induces

c. Persuades

d. Recruits

e. Targets for athletic purposes

f. Or attempts to entice, induce, persuade, recruit or target

any student to attend a TAPPS member school while the student is registered at another TAPPS member school.

This has always been a debate about the private schools.  Kelly has always had financial aid available to anyone wanting to attend Kelly.  I know that at times kids have come to Kelly to play for a certain coach and were given financial aid but I can tell you that all the proper channels were followed.  I also know that the public schools go to the private Junior High schools and talk to the 8th graders but it is funny how Kelly is not allowed to go to the public schools to do the same thing....

There are no proper channels when Kelly coaches actively recruit players attending other High Schools.  Once a student athlete completes junior high and enters high school it is against TAPPS rules for any member school to recruit the athlete.  Should the athlete initiate the contact himself or herself there is no violation.  But when tuition is used as and inducement is where the rub is.

This is like conspiracy theory talk......... 

Kelly can not recruit players.

As far as tuition being paid for a player to attend school there............ there are no free rides....Parents have to submit their tax returns to qualify for any type of aid. The tuition is determined by how much the parents make, how many other children are in the family and if the family is Catholic. Go look up it up for yourselves. It is posted on their website.

Has anyone bothered to see their roster or look at the depth they have on the bench ? The enrollment for the entire school is less than 450...

This isnt conspiracy talk.  Two members of my sons football team were recruited a few years ago, both were offered tuition to attend Kelly for their senior years.

I saw text messages of student athletes of other local high schools this past summer inviting them over to check them out and - dont worry about tuition.  One of them is a senior this year.

I have experienced it first hand the past three years so dont suggest to me that it cant or doesnt happen.  Your kiddding yourself.

This is the same crap that happened with Strake Jesuit...They started winning games and the recruiting talk peeps up...Kelly Starts the season well and here comes the recruiting talk. First of all Kelly has NUMEROUS students that go to Kelly on aid that are in the band and participate in the fine arts program...should we just dump them on the streets? Or are we "Recruiting" for our band? Kelly is and has been for the last ten years the best education in the town with only 450 students Kelly has had two perfect scores on the SAT, Ryan Sheffler and Blake Iceton, they have students attend MIT, Notre Dame, Duke, Texas, Princeton, Yale...your telling me parents dont want to send their kids to Kelly for that?

bmtfbfan..you have all this inside info why dont you share it with all of us.

Kelly has had STUDENTS who lived in port arthur and participated in athletics...but they have had kids who were from orange, lumberton, and silsbee too. Kelly has feeder schools outside of the beaumont area i.e. St. Catherine, St. Mary's.

Take a look at the Kelly roster this season find me the recruits will you? Eddins, Schrapps, Wilson, Lighty, Martin, Figueras, Palermo, Rugg, Quinn, Guidroz, Almond, Messina, Anderson, Busch these are all St. Anne's kids...People forget that St. Anne's fields a highly competitive football team that produces the large amount of Talent for the Kelly program.

You want the Basketball roster for the upcoming season too? Schrapps, Pace, Parker, Messina, Boudreaux, Ledet,  Moncla...where are the recruits?

Kelly has a couple of players who live in Port Arthur and everyone loses their mind...but the MVP of the team over the last three years, Fazio, Carona, Prewitt, and Quinn...All came from St. Annes.

Kelly Basketball - I did share that info with you all.  You can choose to believe what you want to believe.  I know what I saw and what I experienced first hand.  

I am well aware that most of the current Kelly kids are from St Annes and I know most of those kids and their families.  My son and his friends competed against a lot of those kids older brothers from little league through Junior High, little dribblers, Pony League when it existed and through select ball when it emerged.  I am well aware that St Annes and St Anthonys are the primary feeder schools for athletes to Kelly High School.  I am well aware that traditionally these are the source of the majority of Kelly athletes.  None of that has anything to do with what I posted.

The student athlete I was referring to this summer chose not to attend Kelly,they are not a Catholic family and are not seeking education through Catholic schools.  The other two students are no longer in high school, as I stated it was a couple of years ago.

I know first hand that Kelly recruits whether you like it or not or choose to believe it or not.  I saw it 2 and 3 years ago first hand, and I saw it again this past summer.

Kelly Basketball wrote

" Kelly is and has been for the last ten years the best education in the town with only 450 students Kelly has had two perfect scores on the SAT, Ryan Sheffler and Blake Iceton, they have students attend MIT, Notre Dame, Duke, Texas, Princeton, Yale...your telling me parents dont want to send their kids to Kelly for that?

While I am sure that Kelly provides a good education, this comment can be considered argumentive.  The other schools in the Beaumont area also have sent many fine well educated students to these higher places in education. 

One thing that is not argumentive is that Kelly has the best looking parking lot when it is full of vehicles driven by the student body.  ;D

Kelly Basketball wrote

" Kelly is and has been for the last ten years the best education in the town with only 450 students Kelly has had two perfect scores on the SAT, Ryan Sheffler and Blake Iceton, they have students attend MIT, Notre Dame, Duke, Texas, Princeton, Yale...your telling me parents dont want to send their kids to Kelly for that?

While I am sure that Kelly provides a good education, this comment can be considered argumentive.  The other schools in the Beaumont area also have sent many fine well educated students to these higher places in education. 

One thing that is not argumentive is that Kelly has the best looking parking lot when it is full of vehicles driven by the student body.   ;D

That is funny  :D

thanks for clearing that up for me

Doesn't  mean it doesn't happen...the posted speed limit is 35...who drives 35?

I drive 35, of course the posted speed limit on Chance Cut-Off is 30. ;D

I hate that street !!!  I have received 2 tickets on that street...

They got me coming off Chance Cut-off onto wheeler one night  >:(

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83