**UPDATE on: Premier Tournament - Alternative to ASA Gold Nationals

Mc

Guest shake and bake

Agreed. I have seen all kinds of tournaments where one side was loaded and another was comparatively weak. The teams that are spearheading this are the ones who would usually go to 3-4 qualifiers to qualify, so I don't know that it is an argument for them. In Texas it really go out of hand this year. I remember the field used to be controlled at least number wise.

Mc the rule used to be once you played up, you could not play back down, but I am not sure what the rule is now.

I just hate to see it change, Gold was always something special, and I don't think this will last long and then it will change to something else. You might not see it now, but this will put your girls at a serious disadvantage when competing with the big programs for attention and scholarships. What happened for The Blast Gold girls would almost be impossible under this scenario. I hope the biggest development that comes from this is a tweaking of ASA Gold and the resumption of rotating the tournament from east to west.

OCG played in Tulsa and SA Gold qualifiers. 4 teams that we played went on to OK. 1 more came within 1 game of going. Although we had a young team our girls got to play some stacked teams and learned where THEY have to be to play at that level. I don't think anything was watered down. Go play and if you win great and if you don't better luck next year. You have to have 2 things going for you at this level, TALENT and LUCK.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Johnny that Gold nationals has not been watered down. Most of the better teams have gotton in.  Some of the better teams have not gotten in, I don't know what percent. But, this is a problem the way the Premier people see it. They want to make sure the best teams get in thier tournament by picking them themselves. However, if they take 48 teams that would normally be in Gold nationals, then I think that is a differnt story and certainly a different Gold national field.

I agree with Johnny that Gold nationals has not been watered down. Most of the better teams have gotton in.  Some of the better teams have not gotten in, I don't know what percent. But, this is a problem the way the Premier people see it. They want to make sure the best teams get in thier tournament by picking them themselves. However, if they take 48 teams that would normally be in Gold nationals, then I think that is a differnt story and certainly a different Gold national field.

I agree, That was what I was trying to get across, I think you said it better than I did.

I think we all agree a few teams snuck in because of the number of teams in tournaments, though I don't think many. That should be easily resolved by adding another level or two of tournaments to get in the regional or teritorial or by just seeding the tournaments. I am still a little concerned about someone choosing who belongs, because we know politics wil eventually get in the way. The next thing, will everyone who is invited forsake Gold for the Premier. This next year should be interesting.  ;)

Here is the latest:

8/17 ASA GOLD COACHES INQUIRY       

Written by Rayburn Hesse   

Monday, 17 August 2009 18:59 

INQUIRY FROM ASA GOLD

Chris Sebren, ASA assistant director of membership,  has sent the following email to Gold coaches who participated in 2009 Gold Nationals.

Coaches,

I would like to say thank you and congratulations again for your participating in the 2009 ASA Gold National Championship.  I know it was a trying week with the rain and warm temperatures, however you and your young ladies did an outstanding job of adapting.  We hope that your parents, friends and family at home enjoyed the live game tracker and live video feed from the Stadium Field.

On Monday night of the Double Elimination Draw we had a survey that was available to fill out and give your opinion on how things are done in the Gold Program.  For those of you who turned one in we appreciate your time in doing so.  If you did not have the time or opportunity to fill a survey out and would like the opportunity I have included those questions below.

Do you Feel that college players should be allowed to play ASA Gold National Championship?  Yes or No

If they are permitted to play, should there be a limit of how many players per team?  Yes, How Many___________ or No 

Do you feel that the Gold National Championship Should be in OKC every year, OKC every other year or rotated to different areas of the country?

Should pool play games return to being exposure games and not count for the seeding into the Double Elimination Bracket?  Yes or No

Should the Bracket draw be completely blind with no regional or pool play protections?  Yes or No

I also wanted to let you know that a Coaches Committee is being formed to discuss the issues that you see with the ASA program and to make Code and Rule recommendations to the ASA Council.  So at this time I am also taking recommendations from you of Coaches that you feel would represent you and your opinions.  This Committee will have conference calls starting immediately and will start putting together a list of recommendations for Code and Rule Proposals.

The goal of putting this Committee together is to give the coaches a voice.

I appreciate the opportunity I had this past week to speak to many of you and get your opinions on the very things I have laid out in this email.  I hope that you all take the time to share your thoughts and opinions.  They are all positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris Sebren

Assistant Director of Membership/

Stadium Events

2801 NE 50th Street

Oklahoma City, OK 73111

(405)425-3432 Office

(405)424-3855 Fax

Visit us on the web at www.asasoftball.com

SPY NOTE:

Prior to Gold Nationals, SPY and others had urged the formation of a coaches committee; indeed, SPY has proposed such a committee for several years.  Given the down time many teams had at OKC, a committee could have rendered on-spot advice to ASA.

SPY conducted a survey quite similar to ASA’s; in fact, at the behest of Executive Director Radagonda, and published the results during the World Series.  Note that the latter survey was open to all readers, not just Gold coaches.

SPY SURVEY RESULTS

May 26 2009

From May 8 through May 25, SPY polled readers on four questions.  The 251 answers will surprise some because they reflect a body of opinion which at a glance seems contrary to conventional wisdom on two of the four questions.

Since respondents were not asked to identify themselves, but sent SPY individual “no reply†emails, we cannot break down the response in terms of college coaches, travel ball coaches, college and travel ball players, and parents.  However, Questions 2 and 3 were deliberately inserted to draw responses from the travel ball community, and given the breakdown of those responses, there is confidence that the aggregate survey includes opinions from the travel ball community.

Question 1

Should college players be eligible to play in Gold level competition?  (This question assumes compliance with the ASA 19U age guidelines.)

Somewhat surprising, given the intensity of debate at ASA, NFCA and other meetings, 68.5% said college players should be eligible – 172 to 79.  It would be interesting to have a regional breakdown, given that many Eastern coaches (and their ASA commissioners) contend they would have difficulty fielding competitive teams without returning college players.  The fact is that many of the most competitive Gold teams utilize returning college players.  Reminder: this question was asked icw Gold Nationals, and SPY assumes readers were fully mindful that a number of major exposure tournaments have or are planning to restrict participation by college players so as to increase focus on players who have not committed.

Question 2

Should the Gold championship remain in Oklahoma City or be rotated every other year?

A significant difference of opinion, with a majority 59.3% (149 to 102) saying the site for Gold Nationals should be rotated every other year.  When this issue was last debated at a Gold coaches meeting four years ago, there was definite sentiment for continuing to conduct this tournament at alternative sites.  Proponents of rotation argue that the past tournaments at Salem and Salinas demonstrated that quality tournaments could be held elsewhere.  SPY also heard separately from some who prefer the Hall of Fame site, with its four fields and especially its stadium, while we also heard from some who do not like Oklahoma City which is difficult to reach by air, and notably the heat.

Question 3

Should there be a minimum qualification standard teams must meet before designating themselves as Gold? 

A very relevant question considering that California ASA has resolved the question, at least in part, by requiring teams to pre-qualify for Gold in order to be eligible for their Gold tournaments.

An overwhelming majority of respondents – 202 to 49, 80.5% -- said no, there should not be a minimum standard.  A number of coaches have written SPY, saying there is a sorting out process which occurs through the ASA tournaments.

Question 4

Should players be allowed by NCAA to verbal before July 1 of the summer before their senior year? 

Again, given the strident positions taken on both sides of this issue at all types of softball meetings, we were somewhat surprised at the survey result.

By a margin of 152 to 99, or 60.5%, respondents said in effect that NCAA should permit early verbals.  NCAA does not actually sanction early verbals, and its rules are very specific, but NCAA officials realize that early verbals are not only common for girls about to enter their senior year, but, that the ranks of players who have given early verbals include freshmen and sophomores.  While there is obviously a strong body of opinion opposed to the practice (39.5%), SPY had hoped for a strong majority in favor of NCAA banning or somehow restricting the practice.

In hindsight, SPY could have asked a follow-on question: is there an age or school year below which early verbals should not be allowed, eg, no freshmen or sophomores, no girls under age 16, etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics