Coaches and RIF's

I have heard that there are some coaches(various sports) that have been RIFed in the past week. It was my understanding that this occurred after coaching school(They are interviewing at coaching school).    I know this is happening in other lines of work, but it is hard to find a coaching job a week before the season starts.  As with the others who have lost their jobs, keep them in your thoughts and prayers

Are they local?

You know, teaching/coaching is not like other jobs, there is only the summer window in which one can find a job in their field. Because of contract restraints to avoid losing their certification, teachers have to make the year. You are not going to find a teaching job in November or March, maybe in January if someone retires at semester. But rarely.

I blame administrators for not giving the coaches the "heads-up" that you might be losing your job back in the spring. The front office knows the money situation and then in the end, RIF these people. You can rest assure, there were no administrators RIFed.

Contracts are signed before school is out in May.  You have "X" amount of days after school is out/or school starts to get out of a contract.  This is usually around July 1.  If any teacher/coach "RIFed" ( reduction in force) after a contract is signed is entitled to the pay they would have received so they are not let go, therefore I question if all the facts are on the table here.  Not questioning anyone's honesty in posting, but I am familiar with school contracts and this does not smell right.

Contracts are signed before school is out in May.  You have "X" amount of days after school is out/or school starts to get out of a contract.  This is usually around July 1.  If any teacher/coach "RIFed" ( reduction in force) after a contract is signed is entitled to the pay they would have received so they are not let go, therefore I question if all the facts are on the table here.  Not questioning anyone's honesty in posting, but I am familiar with school contracts and this does not smell right.

They let go 375 teachers in Dallas ISD last October. If they have a financial emergency, they can get rid of teachers/coaches however they want.

This has just upset me greatly. It has really got me all stirred up.  >:( The district knew this was coming and waited until the last minute to lay these people off. Like I said, they could have given the coaches, teachers, etc. a heads up earlier so they could start looking for a new position.....Folks, pray for these school folks that they find another job.  At this late date, it might be nearly impossible.  :(

Guest Silsbee88

Contracts are signed before school is out in May.  You have "X" amount of days after school is out/or school starts to get out of a contract.  This is usually around July 1.  If any teacher/coach "RIFed" ( reduction in force) after a contract is signed is entitled to the pay they would have received so they are not let go, therefore I question if all the facts are on the table here.  Not questioning anyone's honesty in posting, but I am familiar with school contracts and this does not smell right.

This is not completely true, a professional school district employee (teacher, etc) can be "RIFed" due to financial reasons.  Therefore in a RIF, the district would not be liable to pay the teacher anything.  Please understand that school districts across the state have no idea what their financial stability will be when contracts are released in early spring.  It is not until later in the summer months that a district will have a clearer picture on their revenue.  The state has been making changes on their funding formulas all summer long.  I don't know the particulars of the district or districts in question but I will say that most districts will try every way possible to keep a teacher/coach before they RIF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder