Select Baseball

your right... But in our organization a certain person is making money off every kid from the 8yr olds up to the older kids. And most age groups have 2 teams. He hasnt done 1 thing with our kids. Why am i payn his salary. I wont be next season

To the person that created the team, it is a business for them. They created the team.

You look at the owners of the teams like Houston Heat, Texas Sundevils, etc... They will make profit off of it. That's not to say that they shouldn't be coaching and working for their money. Coming from experience, if your kid is good enough, it's worth paying a little extra to have your kid on a more solidified team. Not a team that some parent on your kids little league team from last year decided they would start. Not that they don't know baseball or how to run a program, but they do not have the experience/knowledge of these coaches from the more solid programs.

I can only speak for the SE Texas Sun Devils but I promise you that there is not a profit made of of it.  Indeed, it is operated at a substantial loss every year...but, as they say, when 1 of your guys gets drafted or signs a scholarship -- 'priceless'.

As far as if/when to go select, I personally believe that league play thru Little League is the way to go.  You get the chance to play the game, in your own backyard, with your own friends, etc.  If you want to do more for your kid up to age 12, get him (or her) lessons.  After that, select becomes an option.  It takes the right kid (committed, etc.) and the right parents.  By the same token, once you get in that age group (and if you don't want travel ball), the Babe Ruth League down in Mid County is outstanding.  They do a great job year in and year out.

Select worked for me and my son.  Baseball was what he wanted...but, if you ask him, he wouldn't trade his Little League years for anything.  It is simply a matter of the right kid at the right time.

And I probably should say that I did play Little League in Lumberton before it went down hill, and I loved it. All-stars was a whole lot of fun traveling and such. I wouldn't trade my little league experiences at all. But once you get to a certain level of commitment and love for the game, then you can go to select ball. But like I said before, it isn't for every boy out there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your right... But in our organization a certain person is making money off every kid from the 8yr olds up to the older kids. And most age groups have 2 teams. He hasnt done 1 thing with our kids. Why am i payn his salary. I wont be next season

To the person that created the team, it is a business for them. They created the team.

You look at the owners of the teams like Houston Heat, Texas Sundevils, etc... They will make profit off of it. That's not to say that they shouldn't be coaching and working for their money. Coming from experience, if your kid is good enough, it's worth paying a little extra to have your kid on a more solidified team. Not a team that some parent on your kids little league team from last year decided they would start. Not that they don't know baseball or how to run a program, but they do not have the experience/knowledge of these coaches from the more solid programs.

I can only speak for the SE Texas Sun Devils but I promise you that there is not a profit made of of it.  Indeed, it is operated at a substantial loss every year...but, as they say, when 1 of your guys gets drafted or signs a scholarship -- 'priceless'.

As far as if/when to go select, I personally believe that league play thru Little League is the way to go.  You get the chance to play the game, in your own backyard, with your own friends, etc.  If you want to do more for your kid up to age 12, get him (or her) lessons.  After that, select becomes an option.  It takes the right kid (committed, etc.) and the right parents.  By the same token, once you get in that age group (and if you don't want travel ball), the Babe Ruth League down in Mid County is outstanding.  They do a great job year in and year out.

Select worked for me and my son.  Baseball was what he wanted...but, if you ask him, he wouldn't trade his Little League years for anything.  It is simply a matter of the right kid at the right time.

That about sums it all up. Excellent post, MIF.

Well in some towns, if one kid doesnt play little league and just plays select, it almost apears as if he is sticking his nose up at their league, making some of the league guys not like the select kid. This could cause some turmoil with team chemistry once they get to the high school team. You can debate this, but it happened to me a few years back.

People get the misconception that select has to be year around (We play January-July).  We played select and league last year and it was too much for my son (he is 9).  This year he wanted to go select only.  We have 1 sometimes 2 practices a week and 2 tournaments every month.  We have played a total of 42 games (that's about 126 at bats).  That is almost 4 times as many games and at bats as a league player.  You also get to play on nicer fields against better competition.  And the kids really love the travel.  This is not to mention that you don't have to put up with all of the BS that goes on in league.  If you wait until your kid is 12 he may have alot of catching up to do. 

People get the misconception that select has to be year around (We play January-July).  We played select and league last year and it was too much for my son (he is 9).  This year he wanted to go select only.  We have 1 sometimes 2 practices a week and 2 tournaments every month.  We have played a total of 42 games (that's about 126 at bats).  That is almost 4 times as many games and at bats as a league player.  You also get to play on nicer fields against better competition.  And the kids really love the travel.  This is not to mention that you don't have to put up with all of the BS that goes on in league.  If you wait until your kid is 12 he may have alot of catching up to do. 

VERY good points!!

Now I am leaning back towards select when you take into consideration of having to do concession stand duty, umpire duty and getting the fields ready.

I HATE CONCESSION STAND DUTY!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Order of fries, order of cheese sticks, burger all the way, burger all the way no mayo, fries well done, fries extra seasoning, fries no seasoning, etc.

It gets old!!!!

Very good points from all. Last spring I coached my sons 7-8 yr old team which had 13 players on it. 10 could play on the field and we would roster bat. All kids had to play at least 2 innings. So to satisfy the parents I made sure my son sat out more than any kid. @ the end of the season I added up the innings he sat out and it equaled 5 games out of 15. Also he was lucky to get to bat twice during the game. That being said he still wants to play league to be with kids he hangs around @ school but as far as experience and learning the game select IMO is better for him. The kids he plays with in select make him a much better player and he has a blast with it. He is always asking when the next tourney is so we can go stay in a hotel. (YUK)

More than likely my son will not make the pros but I want to give him the things that were not offered to me when I was that age. I'm going to let him play as much as he wants as long as I see that he is having fun.

Very good points from all. Last spring I coached my sons 7-8 yr old team which had 13 players on it. 10 could play on the field and we would roster bat. All kids had to play at least 2 innings. So to satisfy the parents I made sure my son sat out more than any kid. @ the end of the season I added up the innings he sat out and it equaled 5 games out of 15. Also he was lucky to get to bat twice during the game. That being said he still wants to play league to be with kids he hangs around @ school but as far as experience and learning the game select IMO is better for him. The kids he plays with in select make him a much better player and he has a blast with it. He is always asking when the next tourney is so we can go stay in a hotel. (YUK)

More than likely my son will not make the pros but I want to give him the things that were not offered to me when I was that age. I'm going to let him play as much as he wants as long as I see that he is having fun.

The draw back of coaching your son.  I had a similar situation in basketball.  The problem with LL is you never know what kind of coach your gonna get. I'm starting to feel that if I'm going to spend all the time playing and practicing, might as well dedicate a few more hours and play select. At least you know going in the history of the coach and it loks like you could have your pick if your son has the talent.

My son did both.  I can say, I enjoyed the league much more, as a parent.  Yeah, you have to work a little, but it was worth it.  And, to me, there is no competition like allstars, where you get a whole community of people at the games, with community pride on the line.  I just never really experienced that in select tourney play.  It was almost like, oh well we lost.  Ho hum.  There will be another one next week.

The positive for select is obviously, you can play a lot more games.  I think that is much more important as the kids near high school age.

My son did both.  I can say, I enjoyed the league much more, as a parent.  Yeah, you have to work a little, but it was worth it.  And, to me, there is no competition like allstars, where you get a whole community of people at the games, with community pride on the line.  I just never really experienced that in select tourney play.  It was almost like, oh well we lost.  Ho hum.  There will be another one next week.

The positive for select is obviously, you can play a lot more games.   I think that is much more important as the kids near high school age.

I see where you are comming from with the "community pride" in all stars.  It's just different at OYBS (several school districts are involved...and I am not saying that it's a bad thing but it is different).

Well in some towns, if one kid doesnt play little league and just plays select, it almost apears as if he is sticking his nose up at their league, making some of the league guys not like the select kid. This could cause some turmoil with team chemistry once they get to the high school team. You can debate this, but it happened to me a few years back.

That's one of the problems that league kids and league parents have. They think because you play select that you think you are better than the other kids. For me and my kids that is not the case at all. The reason we play is to get better. The competition is better and almost all of the time the kids that are there really want to be there. We still go out to the league park and watch the kids that I coached. We don't think we are better we want to work on getting better and have made a choice in choosing the direction that we think will make them better.

Now I am leaning back towards select when you take into consideration of having to do concession stand duty, umpire duty and getting the fields ready.

It still has it's problems. I think you actually spend about the same amount of time as you would in league and get 3 or 4 times the amount of games played.

If your kid just plays league, don't worry.  I've seen kids that only played league, kids that dabbled at both and kids that only played select.  When they get to high school, it doesn't seem to matter much.  The better athletes develop and play, wherever they played as youngsters.

If your kid just plays league, don't worry.  I've seen kids that only played league, kids that dabbled at both and kids that only played select.  When they get to high school, it doesn't seem to matter much.  The better athletes develop and play, wherever they played as youngsters.

I agree in part with that. I think it does help to play against better competition. That being said they don't give out scholarships to 10 year olds. Well not yet anyway.  ;D

Guest gladiator2

My son played for the Gladiator's organization and yes we spent a lot of money but the bottom line was the little things that are very important in the big picture of baseball was taught to my son. No matter which select team your son plays for, as a parent you still have to put the time in to get results. You can't expect two practices a week to help your son get better. I know that when you play for the Gladiator's their inside facility to hit,pitch, and work different fielding drills is available anytime as part of your $150 dues. We used the facility year round multiple times a week. Where else can u get that, the answer is simple, no where. I will be the first person to tell anyone including Morgan himself, he is very cocky and arrogant and knows everything, but he knows the game as well as anyone around here. I have been accused of having the same traits. If your son is a worker, he will help him be the best he can be for a price. My son really enjoyed playing for Jed McBride. But without a doubt, it is about money this is how they make their living, but the tournaments were paid for. So $150 is a deal especially when your son gets older. We left the Gladiator's this year because you could not play league and select on their team and my son wanted to play with his friends. If your son played for the 7 yr old team, there is not a lot that you can really teach them as for advanced coaching due to it being coach pitch and their minds don't have the ability to remember. It is a very fun age. My son played both select and league since he was 8. All the time that we put in my back yard when he was younger, that is what I would take back. It was everyday,everyday, and he did get burned out until I took him out of league ball when he was 11 and quit working him as much. When they are not playing on the weekends I would suggest other activities besides baseball.

I know that I will get bashed for this post but I think that most people will realize that what I say is the truth.

Select Ball for kids under 14 years old is a waste of time and money.  For parents of kids (under 14), Select Ball is an ego boost.  Not for the kid........for the parent.  The sound of "My kid plays select baseball" seems to carry more weight in the minds of a lot of parents.

Select baseball has destroyed Little League.  For what reason?  Does a 9-12 year old become that much better of a player because of Select?  Maybe someone should ask Randal Grichuk about that.  Ever heard of him?  The kid was on the Richmond LL All Star team that went back to back in the LLWS.  He went on to play HS at Lamar Consolidated and was drafted this Spring as the 24th overall pick by the Angels.

He played Little League ball.  His dad was happy with that since  Richmond had a sense of pride about their kids and their city.  It was all about COMMUNITY and kids having fun.......as well as getting a chance to play on National TV.  It wasnt about the ego of saying Little League is for losers. 

Beaumont USED to have one of the finest Little Leagues in the state.  West End dominated this area.  Amelia had a few good runs.  But now, pride in one's city and playing for the COMMUNITY has been replaced by playing for the dad's ego and thoughts of their son becoming the next Jay Bruce.  (Oh, sorry.  Jay Bruce did play Little League)

I have seen kids grow up and abandon Little League for the appeal of fame and fortune offered by Select Baseball.  I have seen the same kids no longer able to pitch because of elbow and shoulder injuries from pitching one too many innings at a Select tournament.  I have also seen kids who played in Select baseball since they were 9 who did not get the scholarship offers after their Senior year.  And of course, dad, after spending all of those thousands of $$$ from age 9-14, still would not accept reality.

Select is great for kids 14 and up.  It gives them the proper exposure to scouts so that they can further their baseball playing into college and or beyond.  But for kids younger than that, let them be kids and have fun playing in Leagues with their classmates.  It helps them.  It helps their community and gives them a sense of pride.  Little League did not hurt Randal Grichuk or Jay Bruce or Tim Ferguson or David Murphy or any of the other number of great baseball players who proudly wore their Little League uniforms in All Star games.

If your kid has true baseball talent, he will still have that talent at age 9 or 13 or 16 or 19.  Regardless of where he is playing.  Select only serves to showcase that talent to college and or pro scouts.  And college or pro scouts honestly could care less about kids who are younger than 14.

Not gonna Bash you El Tigre. Enjoyed the post, just can't say that I totally agree.

Can't say that it's an ego boost to say my kid is on a select team but I can say that I am proud of him and of the others that are on his team. Just because a parent says his kid is on a select team doesn't mean he thinks his kid is better than any other kid. My son got selected to play on the Gladiators last season and since then baseball is all he talks about. He does like Little League but gets much more from Gladiator Baseball. 

I'm not in it for an ego boost. I'm in it because my kid loves it and I'm not going to take that away from him. When he gets older he may change his mind but now he is having way to much fun. Also,  I'm having a blast watching these kids play. They all love it.

You said something about Fame and Fortune, not sure how you get fame and fortune from select. Would you care to elaborate?

I also do not believe that Select Killed League..for example Look @ Bridge City, I feel that there All Star Teams are so good because the majority of them play Select.

I agree with some posts and disagree with others. My input is that select has only been around in our area for a short time. Alot of good players 15 years ago had to go to Houston to play any type of select baseball.  That's when you had all of the little leagues with good ball players. People choose select teams for alot of different reasons. Some of the ones I've heard is because they want better competition for thier kids, better coaching, getting away from daddy ball per say, and the list goes on.  I can understand most of them. I think it's a good thing for example when leagues get kids from little league and form a team to play select tournaments to improve the core group of kids that will represent the little leagues in all stars. The teams could change from year to year, but your starting to see more of this because people are seeing how much more advanced teams like Bridge City are because they play together year round and gel better as a team.  If it's done properly at a young age it shouldn't burn them out or hurt arms. You can use the tourneys to evaluate different positions for your players in select ball against quality teams where as in the regular season of little league doesn't really tell you because it's such a see saw of talent. Some kids mature in baseball before others and it gives them a chance to step thier game up a little bit. Just about every select team you see don't go undefeated for the season so I don't think it's fueling ego's. I just think that if enough planning is put into it that it ends up being a good experience for the kids even the younger ones. Me personally, I would only play 4-5 tourneys a season until they get older even if they didn't play league ball. I know Port Neches and Groves are both beginning to get teams together from little league to play some tourney's to get thier teams to gel and get better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami