Spurger vs Bremond lowdown

Heartbreak in Huntsville

It was only 5:30 when I arrived at Huntsville's Paul Gohan gym and already the stands were filled with hundreds of Spurger fans and as the opening tip neared, the crowd continued to swell. It was an awesome sight and they were ready to see some basketball and root our Pirates to victory. Even before our boys took the floor, they were on their feet yelling Let's go Pirates. All week long on SETXsports.com, people were going about which game would be the game of the week. Forget game of the week, this WAS THE GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!

After losing the opening tip, the Pirates took control and played their finest quarter of the year as they surged to a 22 -15 first quarter lead behind the hot hand of George Whittaker. The second quarter was just the opposite as the Bremond Tigers showed why they belonged in this game by going on a 9-0 run and taking a two point lead. Spurger bounced right back and for the remainder of the half it became a game of you make one, I make one and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 the score was knotted at 30.

Bremond continued its push as they jumped out to a quick 5 point lead to start the third quarter but back came Spurger and as the third quarter came to a close the deficit was two. Spurger continued its comeback in the 4th quarter and with 6:20 left to play George Whittaker's highlight reel thunder dunk gave Spurger back the lead. The lead seesawed back and forth until Kacey Collier's 3 point swish gave Spurger what appeared to be a commanding lead at 51 -45 with only 2:30 minutes to play. There was no quit with the Tigers and with 25 ticks of the clock and nursing a one point lead the Pirates Chase McGallion stepped to the line and sank the first free throw and when he missed the second Bremond corralled the rebound as they did so many times on this night. The Pirates fouled Bremond and their shooter returned the favor by missing one of two free throws to make it a one point Spurger lead as Bremond pulled in the rebound and set up for another shot but then George stepped up again and swatted the ball out of bounds giving the Tigers the ball with 8.26 seconds to play. Under their own basket, the Tigers in bounded the ball and No 24 LiDarral Bailey who the Pirates could not stop all night drove the lane and floated the ball through the net with 5.21 seconds to play. The Pirates still had life but as time expired the last shot of the Pirate season bounced harmlessly off the rim and the heartbreak in Huntsville was complete 55 - 54.

This was indeed the GAME OF THE YEAR!!

What an article!!! You know what's funny? Do you learn fundamentals in 1 year? (courtside?) NO!!! It is acquire over a period of time, any intelligent person would know that this. It don't happen in 1 year!! Of course you do have to give credit to the new coach to be able to keep the players incheck to some degree, of course some are going to do their own THING! And all of you that discredited the Spurger team from last year, guess you may have been missing some key players? Don't get me wrong, the guys this year did way more than many had expected!! But when it comes to the X's & O's, it is all about Coaching!! and Athletics!!! I really will miss seeing Spurger in the state tournament, with all sincerity!!! It was really great that they made it this far. Spurger has some really fine boys!

What an article!!! You know what's funny? Do you learn fundamentals in 1 year? (courtside?) NO!!! It is acquire over a period of time, any intelligent person would know that this. It don't happen in 1 year!! Of course you do have to give credit to the new coach to be able to keep the players incheck to some degree, of course some are going to do their own THING! And all of you that discredited the Spurger team from last year, guess you may have been missing some key players? Don't get me wrong, the guys this year did way more than many had expected!! But when it comes to the X's & O's, it is all about Coaching!! and Athletics!!! I really will miss seeing Spurger in the state tournament, with all sincerity!!! It was really great that they made it this far. Spurger has some really fine boys!

Yea you know it is kind of (shorty) because I never said fundamentals was learned in one year!! If your was

an intelligent person you would have done some home work and Read the post before you show your IQ.            Most of the boys

have had a bball in their hands since they where about 5 years old so i would say that is a period of time.As for as discrediting the team from last year, your an idiot.I have never talked negitive about last years team.If i did SHOW ME.One last thing if you have a problem with  this coach and his coaching and the (some) that do their own THING! Just dont watch them play. From the following they had this year you wont be missed at all ;D ;D ;D

This was a brand new club in Spurger this year.The only thing missing going in to the season was experience and they took a GIANT step this year in that regard.While I'm a big fan of last years coach and the group of players he had,they have moved on.They should hold a special place in the Pirate fans hearts.This years group is building to that same type goal.The young new coach they have will do a great job because he has a genuine desire to teach the game and a group of young men who will put in the work in the off season to be successful.I said at the beginning of this season to give these guys a chance to get a little experience before you put a lot of expectations on them.They now have that experience and should be one of the favorites to come out of this region next year.Don't be surprised if you see the Pirates in Austin next season.Congrats guys on great season.

Guest THE SCOUTER

Yea you know it is kind of (shorty) because I never said fundamentals was learned in one year!! If your was

an intelligent person you would have done some home work and Read the post before you show your IQ.            Most of the boys

have had a bball in their hands since they where about 5 years old so i would say that is a period of time.As for as discrediting the team from last year, your an idiot.I have never talked negitive about last years team.If i did SHOW ME.One last thing if you have a problem with  this coach and his coaching and the (some) that do their own THING! Just dont watch them play. From the following they had this year you wont be missed at all ;D ;D ;D

Courtside discrediting Spurger? Thats like Nitro and Ghostt talking trash on SP. ;D

OK, I stand corrected on the fundamentals thing! You are right...Little Dribblers is a wonderful program that helps boys & girls learn fundmentals!! As for as you being negative, I was not speaking about you on that point, but to many early season post from others not giving those senior boys credit they so deserved. I do remember you sticking up for them on that! I hope the pirates work hard during off seaon and will be ready to come back fired up more than ever before, because I do enjoy watching them!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086

• I will never understand why someone cares what decisions a family makes regarding their own child? Maybe Joe Burrow learns great life lessons from burning up all his eligibility sitting behind Justin Fields at Ohio State but I’m sure him and his family feel like they made the right decision by transferring to LSU, becoming the #1 pick and now being the highest paid QB in NFL history. Same for Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts at their first stops.    I think it was more beneficial for Reggie Branch to transfer to Crosby and end up having an opportunity to play for a state title versus staying at GCM and learning life lessons while he loses and probably doesn’t go D1 because his team is a perennial loser. If Robinson throws for 2k yards this year it’s going to be a lot better for his recruitment purposes than sitting on the bench at BH, not to mention he’s going to get significant looks because of the kids he’s on the team with and the offers/commitments they’ve already made. He’s not being taught to run from competition, he’s being taught to gamble on himself just like all those other guys I mentioned did. 
    • You have found Utopia. I live in the real world.
    • Every Yuppie wants one.  Give me a V-8 with loud pipes, and they can have their electric vehicles.  Was working a major incident one day and we had a road blocked off.  Police vehicles with lights going and a kid pulls up in a Tesla.  He - let me stress that HE is sobbing uncontrollably because he is at 5% battery life and HAS to go down the road we have blocked to get to a charging station.  He pulled over and literally threw a temper tantrum because we would not let him through.  
    • Have you noticed that it's always the libs that bring up race?  For a long time now whenever a lib is losing an argument or have nothing else to say they bring up racism.  Or something silly like institutional racism.  LOL!
    • Ha!  Whatever that means!  
  • Topics