Did The Spread Kill The QB?

KFDM COOP

I believe if you are a good enough QB that playing in the spread in HS and college will not affect you in the pros.

Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith, Vince Young, along with every Tech QB draft have either struggled or sitting the bench in the pros.  Also, it's killing offensive linemen as well.  Say what you want about the option but Nebraska kept an Olineman in the first round of the draft.  Sissy ball is watering down all positions on offense sans Wide Receiver....

I believe if you are a good enough QB that playing in the spread in HS and college will not affect you in the pros.

Ryan Leaf, Alex Smith, Vince Young, along with every Tech QB draft have either struggled or sitting the bench in the pros.  Also, it's killing offensive linemen as well.  Say what you want about the option but Nebraska kept an Olineman in the first round of the draft.  Sissy ball is watering down all positions on offense sans Wide Receiver....

Theisman sure makes some good points in his article...like his idea that the spread offense requires QB runs and Ray Lewis being there to meet them.  Anyone ever seen a Tech QB run the football in Leach's 9 years at Tech or any Oklahoma QB known for their running??  What about Hawaii...any runs there?  Regardless of your preferred offense it just matters how many points you put on the board.  Most defenses are set up to stop the conventional offense (2 backs, 2 receivers, 1 TE).  4-3, 3-4, 46 etc...change that to a spread offense and the defense has to change into something they may not necessarily be good at (see Pittsburg's vaunted #1 defense in the Superbowl for example).  What is wrong with being unconventional especially if it's successful??  Just a quick glance at the state champions in HS and the BCS teams from college makes me think the spread offense is here to stay.

Theisman sure makes some good points in his article...like his idea that the spread offense requires QB runs and Ray Lewis being there to meet them.  Anyone ever seen a Tech QB run the football in Leach's 9 years at Tech or any Oklahoma QB known for their running??  What about Hawaii...any runs there?  Regardless of your preferred offense it just matters how many points you put on the board.  Most defenses are set up to stop the conventional offense (2 backs, 2 receivers, 1 TE).  4-3, 3-4, 46 etc...change that to a spread offense and the defense has to change into something they may not necessarily be good at (see Pittsburg's vaunted #1 defense in the Superbowl for example).  What is wrong with being unconventional especially if it's successful??  Just a quick glance at the state champions in HS and the BCS teams from college makes me think the spread offense is here to stay.

The NFL will never adapt either the Texas Tech model nor the Spread Option eventhough the Wild Cat formation has made an appearence on several teams.  The TT model doesn't eat up clock and the SO gets the QB's killed--unless they start playing touch when it comes to tackling the QB.  Anyway, I'm on Joe T's side in this debate...

The NFL will never adapt either the Texas Tech model nor the Spread Option eventhough the Wild Cat formation has made an appearence on several teams.  The TT model doesn't eat up clock and the SO gets the QB's killed--unless they start playing touch when it comes to tackling the QB.  Anyway, I'm on Joe T's side in this debate...

I don't recall ever saying anyone would adopt the TT offensive model in the NFL.  I simply said that Joe T is probably the biggest idiot covering sports today...slightly ahead of Joe Morgan.  Variations of the spread offense are already in the NFL but it seems no one wants to go "unconventional" because the spread offense can't work in bad weather, can't control the clock, blah blah blah.  Bill "the hoodie" seems to have a variation of the spread working pretty well up in New England last time I checked.  It puts the defense at a disadvantage doing something they don't normally do on first and second downs.  Go back and watch the Superbowl and notice what happens when Arizona starts running 3 and 4 wide receivers and the no huddle.

The main point that Heisman Theisman made was that QB's don't have the fundamentals in the spread offense to run an NFL offense.  He cited 2 recent successful rookies who came out of pro-style offenses in college and the failures of Alex Smith who came from the spread.  I just think that what type of offense you played in during your college career will not predict your success in the NFL.  Brett Favre - wishbone; David Carr - Pro style college offense; Joey Harrington - Pro style college offense...maybe it's just that two of these players sucked and one of them didn't regardless of their college offense.

I don't recall ever saying anyone would adopt the TT offensive model in the NFL.  I simply said that Joe T is probably the biggest idiot covering sports today...slightly ahead of Joe Morgan.  Variations of the spread offense are already in the NFL but it seems no one wants to go "unconventional" because the spread offense can't work in bad weather, can't control the clock, blah blah blah.  Bill "the hoodie" seems to have a variation of the spread working pretty well up in New England last time I checked.  It puts the defense at a disadvantage doing something they don't normally do on first and second downs.  Go back and watch the Superbowl and notice what happens when Arizona starts running 3 and 4 wide receivers and the no huddle.

The main point that Heisman Theisman made was that QB's don't have the fundamentals in the spread offense to run an NFL offense.  He cited 2 recent successful rookies who came out of pro-style offenses in college and the failures of Alex Smith who came from the spread.  I just think that what type of offense you played in during your college career will not predict your success in the NFL.  Brett Favre - wishbone; David Carr - Pro style college offense; Joey Harrington - Pro style college offense...maybe it's just that two of these players sucked and one of them didn't regardless of their college offense.

The 'Hoodie' runs a standard 2 min drill.  Carr and Harrington were in shotgun offenses @Fresno St. and Oregon respectively.  I remember Carr throwing over 8 foot ladders to get that side arm delivery out of him. 

If the Super Bowl were in some cold weather, Arizona would've been as productive as they were in Tampa.  You know that.  And until otherwise proven, defense still wins championships.....

Again, last time I checked, scoring more points than the other team wins championships.  Having a great offense, defense, and special teams help. 

News Flash - The Superbowl will never be played in cold weather.

News Flash - It has been played in cold weather, and it very well could happen again.

Again, last time I checked, scoring more points than the other team wins championships.  Having a great offense, defense, and special teams help. 

News Flash - It has been played in cold weather, and it very well could happen again.

just curious when was the last time.

most the time when it's played in a cold weather city... it's played in a dome...  More fan friendly and one reason it's fan friendly is because the offenses are able to go full throttle.

just curious when was the last time.

most the time when it's played in a cold weather city... it's played in a dome...  More fan friendly and one reason it's fan friendly is because the offenses are able to go full throttle.

I don't ever remember a cold weather Superbowl.  Miami, San Diego, Tampa, New Orleans, with Houston, Detroit (dome), and Atlanta given the occassional bone.  Not exactly what I would call cold weather...

I agree ICE BOWLS are things of old. Won't happen in these days and ages. But in playoffs, it may be a factor. NFL defenses are much more pronge to have success if this is your main set. Theisman is right, QB's should learn to play under center also.It could be effective only when you can be versitle out of different sets. It can't be your primary set in the Pro's. DC's at the pro ranks get paid big bucks for good reasons. Pro D players are stronger, faster, and smarter than college players. Vince young is a prime example, best college QB running and throwing since Nebraska's Fraizer.

yea...Florida's offense is so watered down I don't see how they WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP....obviously i don't agree with your oppion..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, there are two ways of looking at it. The guys on your list would probably never have even got a shot at that level had it NOT been for the spread. They may not have made it, but at least it got them there. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    assfff
    Newest Member
    assfff