Applicants Sought for Game Warden Academy

bronco1

News Release

Media Contact: Tom Harvey, 512-389-4453, [email protected]

Jan. 27, 2009

Applicants Sought for Game Warden Academy

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is seeking qualified applicants for a game warden cadet class scheduled to start Nov. 1. Applications will be accepted beginning Feb. 2 through April 30.

More than 400 people applied for the 55 positions in the current cadet class that will graduate in June.

Applicants must be 21 years old on or before Nov. 1 and have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The degree requirement must be met prior to Sep.1.

To be accepted, applicants must meet the minimum eligibility requirements and successfully complete a regional interview, a physical readiness test, and an extensive background investigation. Applicants must successfully complete each step before advancing to the next step.

After graduation, the new game wardens will be assigned to vacant stations throughout Texas with the responsibility of protecting the state’s natural resources. Game wardens also protect lives by enforcing the Water Safety Act and conducting standard peace officer duties.

More information on game warden cadet requirements may be obtained on the Law Enforcement Career Opportunities page on the TPWD Web site or at TPWD Law Enforcement offices.

For additional information, contact Texas Game Warden Recruiter Royce Wells via e-mail at [email protected] or toll-free by phone at (877) 229-2733.

This is the hidden content, please

For all the  "STUFF"  they have to put up with, should be paid much more.

Game Warden Cadet, $2,914/month, Entrance Salary

Game Warden I, $3,183/month, Completion of Training Academy

Game Warden I, $3,758/month, One year after graduation

Game Warden II, $4,076/month, Four years after graduation

Game Warden III, $4,389/month, Eight years after graduation

Game Warden IV, $4,593/month, Twelve years after graduation

Game Warden V, $4,811/month, Sixteen years after graduation

Game Warden VI, $4,811/month, Twenty years after graduation

Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month

Stipend for second language: $50/month

For all the  "STUFF"  they have to put up with, should be paid much more.

Game Warden Cadet, $2,914/month, Entrance Salary

Game Warden I, $3,183/month, Completion of Training Academy

Game Warden I, $3,758/month, One year after graduation

Game Warden II, $4,076/month, Four years after graduation

Game Warden III, $4,389/month, Eight years after graduation

Game Warden IV, $4,593/month, Twelve years after graduation

Game Warden V, $4,811/month, Sixteen years after graduation

Game Warden VI, $4,811/month, Twenty years after graduation

Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month

Stipend for second language: $50/month

I agree, but thought I would post it. Same thing with teachers but some people see it as their calling.

I was wrong in thinking game wardens made pretty good money.

I thought about applying years(and I mean YEARS ago), but the money was not worth the risk.  Think about it, most people you talk to have a gun!

The risk doesn't change with a pay increase. Does more money make it worth the risk? 

The game warden pay is about typical police pay statewide. There are a very few that pay a little more but now a lot different. Starting pay is generally about $35,000 per year and it usually maxes out around 20 years between $50,000-$60,000.

I was wrong in thinking game wardens made pretty good money.

I thought about applying years(and I mean YEARS ago), but the money was not worth the risk.  Think about it, most people you talk to have a gun!

The risk doesn't change with a pay increase. Does more money make it worth the risk? 

Yes............To risk your life making $35,000??  For some people that is their calling, for me I want to see my kids when I get home.  Don't get me wrong, I respect what they do just don't like the pay scale versus the job description.

Yes............To risk your life making $35,000??  For some people that is their calling, for me I want to see my kids when I get home.  Don't get me wrong, I respect what they do just don't like the pay scale versus the job description.

I will agree that it should be more but I always wonder when people speak of the money vs the risk. I don't think the risk compared to pay is the problem. It is pay period with the risk almost meaningless in my opinion.

What it be worth the risk for $45,000? $55,000?

How many people would say that they don't want to risk dying for $35,000 but will be more than happy to risk dying for $55,000? After four years the game wardens are making about $50,000 per year. For the people that don't want the risk (and I truly understand that), the pay would seem to me to be a non-issue.

I think a person that wants in law enforcement is more than willing to accept the risk at any cost but can't raise a family comfortably on $35,000. The risk isn't the issue. Paying the bills is.

I will agree that it should be more but I always wonder when people speak of the money vs the risk. I don't think the risk compared to pay is the problem. It is pay period with the risk almost meaningless in my opinion.

What it be worth the risk for $45,000? $55,000?

How many people would say that they don't want to risk dying for $35,000 but will be more than happy to risk dying for $55,000? After four years the game wardens are making about $50,000 per year. For the people that don't want the risk (and I truly understand that), the pay would seem to me to be a non-issue.

I think a person that wants in law enforcement is more than willing to accept the risk at any cost but can't raise a family comfortably on $35,000. The risk isn't the issue. Paying the bills is.

I actually may agree with you. In the 80's I worked for an ambulance service making $4.25 per hour.  I LOVED that job. However, during my 8 years I risked my life several times.  More than once I showed up at the scene of a murder(shootings or stabbings) only to find the suspect still there. Just an example of some of the risk/situations we were put in, and believe me, there were many more. My "reason" for leaving was risk versus pay. After reading your comments, I guess it was just pay. If they would have doubled my salary I would of probably stayed.

Good post TVC184!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124