Lamar vs. UTSA Updates/LU Falls Again!!!!!!!!!!

All this negativity... we played hard, and we played together. We are injury riddled and have barely any depth. The refs weren't calling fouls in this game, and I really don't mind after seeing a foul called every few seconds the other night. If you don't think we weren't all over them the last few seconds, you're wrong. Bonney, or whoever had he winning tip-in was simply in the right place at the right time. $h!t happens. And it seems to happening a lot to us lately. However the season is not over, Dawkins looked better.. Harper is improving and Jay Brown is always Jay Brown. And look at ASHTON HALL! He must have been reading all the criticism on this board, I know I'm eating some crow right now. Worrell didn't play great tonight but we know what he is capable of.

Good thing is now not much is expected around the league from the Cards. You know when we walk into SFA they're not going expect us to upset them. I feel that we'll get over this loss and turn it around, it is not too late.

And absolutely not, no matter what happens, should Roc be fired. We've been in a position to win the last 2 games, we shouldn't haven't sealed the deal. I'm confident we'll start closing out these games.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never seen so much enthusiasm for Lamar basketball like there is with Roc at the helm. He will right the ship and get it right. To even mention firing Roc is ludacris. I promise you Lamar will never find another coach like  Lamar has now. Do we need some bigger players-sure. We are at a disadvantage in size against most teams we play. From everything im hearing next year may be the best class we ever had. Dont get down.

You're right about Roc.  He made a mistake tonight, but he is Lamar's coach.  He is a great coach and he WANTS to be here.  My understanding is he had an offer to go to Kentucky with Gillespie and turned it down because he wants to be here at Lamar.  That is what Lamar needs...someone dedicated to the program, not looking to use it as a stepping stone.  I have no doubt that Roc is the right man at the right time, but a simple timeout and instructions to foul 3 times in the last 10 seconds could have saved this game and maybe the season.  At this point, things look pretty dismal for the remainder of the season. 

Lets not play see no evil, speak no evil. We are 2-5 in one of the worse conferences in nation. Loser

of 6 out the last 8 games. With 4 seniors starting getting beat at home by younger teams. We can't

even win our home games. The more excuses you make for Roc, the more he will continue to think he can

win by just showing up. He needs to be held accountable.

Lets not play see no evil, speak no evil. We are 2-5 in one of the worse conferences in nation. Loser

of 6 out the last 8 games. With 4 seniors starting getting beat at home by younger teams. We can't

even win our home games. The more excuses you make for Roc, the more he will continue to think he can

I didn't say we were playing well. But if you call for his head after 5 games is just dumb. Yeah he hasn't made the best decisions, but not all coaches get it right. Look at #4 Wake coming off a win over the #1 team in the nation and they lost to Georgia Tech, who was winless in the ACC, I wonder if their fans were calling for the coaches head after then.

I didn't say we were playing well. But if you call for his head after 5 games is just dumb. Yeah he hasn't made the best decisions, but not all coaches get it right. Look at #4 Wake coming off a win over the #1 team in the nation and they lost to Georgia Tech, who was winless in the ACC, I wonder if their fans were calling for the coaches head after then.

If that is the case, maybe we should have stayed with Tony Branch. I'm sure he would have figured it out by now.

I don't think anyone is calling for Roc's head after 5 games. If I am not mistaken, Roc has been here for more than 5 games. ;)

I still like this team and I like this coach.  No, we are probably not going to the NCAA tournament this year, but at the start of this season with the loss of Nabors not many people thought this would be our year.  I don't think Roc has made all the right moves during games, but between Roc and his staff they have about 100 years of coaching experience to my 0.  So who am I to decide whats right and whats not.  I wasn't happy with the 1-3-1 zone or the 2-3 zone last night and I would have gotten out of it, but guys with alot of experience in the college game chose not to get out of it.  I would have called a time out before the Ashton  free throws, but guys with alot of college experience decided it was better to get him to the line without the timeout.

I will say one thing.  Even with all of the experience on this staff Bubba Skelton is missed.  In my opinion he was a great game coach and didn't mind disagreeing with Roc or putting his two cents in vocally during timeouts.  For the most part our assistants this year are sitting back and letting Roc run everything during timeouts.  I believe we executed better after timeouts last year and took timeouts at the insistence of Bubba Skelton.

Guest coachacola

Roc will probably be coaching for at least 2 more years here at LU.  It's too early to say that he's not going to cut it as head coach.  Once he figures out how to get his teams to play defense then he'll be winning a lot more games.  Because Roc brought in a lot of young players, then Moton, Nabors and Nwevo will miss this year, he's been hampered by a young bench.  Add to that ongoing injuries to Dawkins, Custer, Worrell and Harper (and other problems with Williams), and you get this type of season.

My question is...with all those top ranked recruiting classes, where is the depth?

Perhaps Roc's recruiting strategy is off target as far as the SLC goes and he needs to go a different route?

I am a loyal and frustrated Cardinal fan, but with the "great" recruiting classes that we have "had" how come we can't get the athletes and players that CC and SELA have?  BTW TT the PG that you guys have is a stud!!!!!  That is the type of PG that LU needs to get to replace Dawkins!!!

Guest coachacola

My question is...with all those top ranked recruiting classes, where is the depth?

Perhaps Roc's recruiting strategy is off target as far as the SLC goes and he needs to go a different route?

You must not be reading all the posts on this thread.  Nabors and Nwevo are out for the season due to injuries.  Worrell and Custer are currently playing through injuries and haven't practiced much between games.

Dawkins hasn't practiced in two weeks, he just plays at game time.  Harper was in a car wreck after the 3rd game and is just now getting back to where he can contribute.  Moton was probably going to step in as the starting shooting guard but he didn't qualify.

Since Bob Marlin has been coaching at SHSU for over a decade now and has only taken your team to the NCAAs once then maybe he needs to go a different route?  Roc has been head coach at LU for 2 1/2 years and he already has 1 co-championship.  He'll be just fine in the long run.

I agree that Roc is our man.  This has been an injury riddled season.  It has to be hard to go out and play when half the team is on the bench injured or playing injured.  No practice, playing only in games.  That's hard.  Roc will be OK.  Like I said earlier, he WANTS to be here.  That is so important.  He has pride in this university and this team.

You must not be reading all the posts on this thread.  Nabors and Nwevo are out for the season due to injuries.  Worrell and Custer are currently playing through injuries and haven't practiced much between games.

Dawkins hasn't practiced in two weeks, he just plays at game time.  Harper was in a car wreck after the 3rd game and is just now getting back to where he can contribute.  Moton was probably going to step in as the starting shooting guard but he didn't qualify.

Since Bob Marlin has been coaching at SHSU for over a decade now and has only taken your team to the NCAAs once then maybe he needs to go a different route?  Roc has been head coach at LU for 2 1/2 years and he already has 1 co-championship.  He'll be just fine in the long run.

Several things...

1) Marlin has won two conference championships, including one in his second year at SHSU. It was the first winning record at SHSU in Div I. Since then, we have been the BEST team in the SLC - in overall record, out of conference record and SLC record. And he did not need a divisional format to aid him in getting a "co-championship" like your program did at a time when there was clearly a weaker division (see SLC West vs SLC East 2008).

2) Marlin does not make excuses. Sure, we lost plenty of players from last year's squad. Sure, this was the biggest turnover in SHSU history under Marlin since the year after we went to the NCAA. Fans even crapped on this team and quit. Well, apparently this team is developing before our very eyes and is in FIRST place in the SLC. LU seems to have plenty excuses and where is your team? Wins and losses matter most at the end of the day. I just saw a team with seven players knock off the league favorite in a mid-major league the other night. Go figure!

3) I have read all the posts. I still question the depth. Based on your annual recruiting discussion, it seems like all of your players bring "All-World" attributes to your roster. It is not always about recruiting rankings or how many friends your program/coach have on a certain basketball web site (to help get you those rankings).

4) Roc is best friends with Buzz Williams, the least classiest coach in the country in all college sports (even above Todd Graham of Tulsa). And we all know how Buzz took care of Roc by giving him Worrell after Buzz drove his recruits away from the same program he recruited them for. Based on association, I'll never have the respect for Roc that I have for guys like J.P. Piper and Scott Cross.

5) Sure, it may seem like I am kicking you while you are down -- but all of these are things I've said before, when you guys were thinking this was your NCAA year (unless you go Mike Deane and make a run in the SLC tournament, that won't happen). None of this is new, not even the result on the court for the Cards.

Guest coachacola

Saying Marlin has won 2 SLC championships in 10 years isn't saying much.  The SLC has been one of the weakest conferences during that period.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say SHSU has been the "best" team in the SLC, unless you are talking total wins.  I'm an Astros fan and for some period during the 90s or so they had the 3rd best winning record in the majors, but nobody cared about that.  Having a winning record every year is nice, but failing to make the playoffs or losing in the first round year after year is what people remember.

Roc isn't making excuses.  He's not on here talking about injuries.  I'm bringing that up in response to others saying he should be winning all these games.  They may be right, I'm just a fan, but you can't just discount injuries.  I don't think Marlin has had to deal with injuries this season, but I might be wrong.  Depth has hurt this team, and it's not all due to injuries, but it has play a significant role.  Also the loss of a scholarship has hurt, and you can blame that on Roc, that's probably fair.

Roc is good friends with a lot of coaches around the country so I doubt your assertion that Buzz Williams is his "best friend".  You accusing Roc of doing something shady doesn't surprise me.  You've already accused Woodard of violating NCAA rules, so your respect around here doesn't mean much.

I don't think you're kicking us while we're down.  You're just being your usual self.  Nothing new there.  You're sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.  You do it on all the message boards.  And at the end of season I'm pretty confident that it will not be SHSU going to the NCAA tourney.  Like most years in the SLC, there's not much difference in the top teams and it's the hottest team that will go to the big dance, not necessarily the best.

Saying Marlin has won 2 SLC championships in 10 years isn't saying much.  The SLC has been one of the weakest conferences during that period.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say SHSU has been the "best" team in the SLC, unless you are talking total wins.  I'm an Astros fan and for some period during the 90s or so they had the 3rd best winning record in the majors, but nobody cared about that.  Having a winning record every year is nice, but failing to make the playoffs or losing in the first round year after year is what people remember.

Roc isn't making excuses.  He's not on here talking about injuries.  I'm bringing that up in response to others saying he should be winning all these games.  They may be right, I'm just a fan, but you can't just discount injuries.  I don't think Marlin has had to deal with injuries this season, but I might be wrong.  Depth has hurt this team, and it's not all due to injuries, but it has play a significant role.  Also the loss of a scholarship has hurt, and you can blame that on Roc, that's probably fair.

Roc is good friends with a lot of coaches around the country so I doubt your assertion that Buzz Williams is his "best friend".  You accusing Roc of doing something shady doesn't surprise me.  You've already accused Woodard of violating NCAA rules, so your respect around here doesn't mean much.

I don't think you're kicking us while we're down.  You're just being your usual self.  Nothing new there.  You're sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.  You do it on all the message boards.  And at the end of season I'm pretty confident that it will not be SHSU going to the NCAA tourney.  Like most years in the SLC, there's not much difference in the top teams and it's the hottest team that will go to the big dance, not necessarily the best.

Get 'em!!!!

The SLC has had some of it's strongest seasons in the last decade after a pitiful 1990s. The RPI is actually top 20 again this year after it was last year for the first time since Lamar, La Tech and company were playing some good hoops. Even when the SLC was weak - SHSU was not winning double-digit games. Marlin got us to that level.

And SHSU has won MORE games OVERALL, in SLC PLAY and OUT OF CONFERENCE since Marlin took over. He's made us a winner and I must say, being in the race every year is much more entertaining than being the most hyped team every year, that falls flat on it's face. Just ask Uncle Drayton. Being in the race puts butts in the seats and is much better than not being competitive at all.

Are you not aware of the Buzz Williams situation? Williams drove players away from a program he abandoned and pushed them to his friends, Roc included. He also crapped all over the city of New Orleans - so he can kiss the whole city's collective tail.

And as far as Woodard -- Bob West did say he something along the lines of him "announcing" that Bevil was to sign with LU. Coaches can "leak" information to the media and do it often, but West put Woodard in a bad place by saying that he had "announced" it. That is where things get "sticky". The media member did not protect the head coach. Really not Woodard that violated the NCAA rule, but West who put Woodard under the bus and put him in a precarious situation.

Several things...

1) Marlin has won two conference championships, including one in his second year at SHSU. It was the first winning record at SHSU in Div I. Since then, we have been the BEST team in the SLC - in overall record, out of conference record and SLC record. And he did not need a divisional format to aid him in getting a "co-championship" like your program did at a time when there was clearly a weaker division (see SLC West vs SLC East 2008).

2) Marlin does not make excuses. Sure, we lost plenty of players from last year's squad. Sure, this was the biggest turnover in SHSU history under Marlin since the year after we went to the NCAA. Fans even crapped on this team and quit. Well, apparently this team is developing before our very eyes and is in FIRST place in the SLC. LU seems to have plenty excuses and where is your team? Wins and losses matter most at the end of the day. I just saw a team with seven players knock off the league favorite in a mid-major league the other night. Go figure!

3) I have read all the posts. I still question the depth. Based on your annual recruiting discussion, it seems like all of your players bring "All-World" attributes to your roster. It is not always about recruiting rankings or how many friends your program/coach have on a certain basketball web site (to help get you those rankings).

4) Roc is best friends with Buzz Williams, the least classiest coach in the country in all college sports (even above Todd Graham of Tulsa). And we all know how Buzz took care of Roc by giving him Worrell after Buzz drove his recruits away from the same program he recruited them for. Based on association, I'll never have the respect for Roc that I have for guys like J.P. Piper and Scott Cross.

5) Sure, it may seem like I am kicking you while you are down -- but all of these are things I've said before, when you guys were thinking this was your NCAA year (unless you go Mike Deane and make a run in the SLC tournament, that won't happen). None of this is new, not even the result on the court for the Cards.

TT is correct in #3.

Terror let me just say this.... We would have been a much deeper team with Nabors and Nuevo.... But they did not play.... 2nd last year our recruiting class was not rated that high... this 2009 class will probably be pretty highly rated... we will see. Roc is finally starting to get some High School kids w/4 years of eligibility... lets just hope it pans out...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83