REFEREES-----HJ / Silsbee Game????

Lazeek

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the reason is the fact that when you go to HJ there is a feeling that you always have to beat 7.  It is amazing that when you have an impartial crew there that Silsbee rolls over HJ.  Coach Williams knew exactly what he was doing by requesting UIL officials.  Referees do not cost teams a game but they can sure impact it. 

Maybe becuase most of the time the players are thinking about getting screwed instead of thinking about the game. all that equals excuses and losses, you have to adapt to how the game is being called. Most teams don't understand that. Instead of just saying the refs are cheating, becuase of what you were told was a foul back in little dribblers, honestly look at what gets the foul called. You have to look at it like a farmer looks at a crop.....If a farmer plants a seed and it doesn't grow, he doesn't say "WELL THAT WAS A BAD SEED" (you know like saying the ref was bad). He says well maybe I didn't water it enough or maybe I did loosen the soil enough, neverless he looks back at himself to fix the problem, not blame it on someone else. It's a funny thing about pointing a finger at someone else, anytime you do it you have three pointing right back at you.

FYI...There's another side to this story as well.

I can tell you its not just in basketball. If a varsity football team scratches a crew from a friday game, don't expect to have subvaristy covered that week. That's just how it is.

I really would like to hear the other side of the story. I have only heard from the coaches standpoint.

I can tell you its not just in basketball. If a varsity football team scratches a crew from a friday game, don't expect to have subvaristy covered that week. That's just how it is.

That doesn't make it right and it sure doesn't make it right at 3:30 on the day of the game for notification.

So, in other words, the chapter that is there to serve the schools refuses to serve the schools if they don't get what they want.

The tail is wagging the dog.

Maybe the reason is the fact that when you go to HJ there is a feeling that you always have to beat 7.  It is amazing that when you have an impartial crew there that Silsbee rolls over HJ.  Coach Williams knew exactly what he was doing by requesting UIL officials.  Referees do not cost teams a game but they can sure impact it. 

Maybe becuase most of the time the players are thinking about getting screwed instead of thinking about the game. all that equals excuses and losses, you have to adapt to how the game is being called. Most teams don't understand that. Instead of just saying the refs are cheating, becuase of what you were told was a foul back in little dribblers, honestly look at what gets the foul called. You have to look at it like a farmer looks at a crop.....If a farmer plants a seed and it doesn't grow, he doesn't say "WELL THAT WAS A BAD SEED" (you know like saying the ref was bad). He says well maybe I didn't water it enough or maybe I did loosen the soil enough, neverless he looks back at himself to fix the problem, not blame it on someone else. It's a funny thing about pointing a finger at someone else, anytime you do it you have three pointing right back at you.

I can always sniff out an old school player! True dat playa!

I agree that referees are never an excuse but there are some that call the game tighter than others and depending upon which side you are on it can affect the thinking.  I hate when parents say that the ref cost a game.  The players lose the game but you are right in the that sometimes kids adjust to the game and when they don't they get their butts beat.

I agree that referees are never an excuse but there are some that call the game tighter than others and depending upon which side you are on it can affect the thinking.  I hate when parents say that the ref cost a game.  The players lose the game but you are right in the that sometimes kids adjust to the game and when they don't they get their butts beat.

No doubt about it, they are human, and do have a difference of opinion at times, so you as a player just have to adjust. I just hate to hear it was the refs fault, I would be lying if I said at some point in my life if I didn't feel that way, but then I grew up.  ;D :o ;D ::)

Bluedove- Then based on your comments you are saying that the game in the Montagne Center last year was "tainted" by the refs?

I don't think like that. You have to adjust your play to the way the ref is calling the games. If you know they are calling things close, then offensively that means be more aggressive and drive towards the "whole." Defensively, keep your hands away from the defender. I just have problems with athletes who don't listen and not use 90% of their mental capabilities.

Guest Robinhood

In MOST "hotly contested" high school games, the refs do not determine the outcome.  You can go back and look at stats and see how many free throws and layups the losing team missed.  The total points missed usually is greater than the difference in the score.  That being said, I have read many good comments about the problem with the Beaumont Chapter but no one has offered a solution.  My suggestion is to pay the refs more money.  I think these guys get $25 to do subvarsity games.  Most of these guys have regular jobs and can't afford to leave work early.  Most 9the grade games start at 4:30 to 5:00.  Paying the refs more would do 3 things; no.1 more people would want to be a ref, no. 2 more refs means better coverage of subvarsity games and, no.3 a better more experienced crew doing varsity games. Any thought?

different crews call games differently.  when you have a team that plays a smothering press like the hawks, they're going to benefit from a crew that lets the game roll, but a crew that calls it tight (for example the crew that reffed the silsbee/hj game) will hurt a high pressure team.  does that mean that either set of officials is better or worse than the other?  of course not.  it just means that teams must be able to adjust to how the game is being called and play accordingly.

I LOVE THIS WEBSITE.  I SPEND LOTS OF TIME READING THE DIFFERENT POSTS.  I TRULY THINK THAT THERE ARE MANY OF YOU WHO UNDERSTAND THE GAME. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO IS GIVE YOU AN INSIGHT INTO AN OFFICIALS MIND.

FIRST, OFFICIALS DO NOT CARE WHO WINS.  THEY JUST WANT TO DO THERE JOB AND GO HOME. SECOND, ALL OF THEOFFICIALS THAT I KNOW ARE CHRISTIANS, AND MANY ARE MINISTERS.  I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THEY WOULD DO ANYTHING TO ADVERSELY AFFECT CHILDREN ON A BASKETBALL COURT  THIRD, OFFICIALS ARE HUMAN, AND THEY MAKE MISTAKES.  THEY DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSE.FOURTH, ALL COACHES AND OFFICIALS DON'T ALWAYS GET ALONG. COACHES HAVE THERE FAVORITES.  PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE COMFORTABLE WITH.  I HAVE PEOPLE WHO LOVW SEEING ME WALK IN THEIR GYM, AND I HAVE OTHERS WHO CRINGE.  IT IS NOT PERSONAL.

THE REFS COST US THE GAME IS AN EASY SCAPE GOAT. IF WE CALLED A FOUL EVERYTIME THERE WAS CONTACT,OR A TRAVEL EVERYTIME SOMEONE SHUFFLED THERE FEET, IT WOULD BE SO BORING THAT NO ONE WOULD COME. AS IT STANDS REFS HAVE TO MAKE SPLIT SECOND DECISIONS ON WHETHER SOME CONTACT IS RELEVANT OR NOT.  I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO REMEMBER THAT THE GUYS IN THE STRIPE SHIRTS ARE NOT THE ENEMY.  THERE COULD BE NO GAME WITHOUT US.  THOSE WHO COMPLAIN CAN COME JOIN US.  YOU HAVE NEVER MET A BETTER GROUP OF PEOPLE.

That is all good and I agree with it OLDREF, but the fact still remains that the chapter is poorly run and if a team requesting refs from outside of the area has something to do with whether or not refs show up for a under level game is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!

Heads need to roll on this one!!!!

You guys are all missing the point here.  There were 10 plus referees that were agreed on in the Beaumont Chapter and the Chapter did not do their job by getting those referees to the biggest game of the night which shocks me for one big reason................the refs get a portion of the door and there was more people at that game than anywhere around here and hell it was the best atmosphere of the year and I know as a ref that is what you want!!! Bottom line is the coaches agreed on a list in the Beaumont Chapter plenty long for the Chapter to provide officials for the game and they did not do it so the coaches had to agree on something else.  Beaumont Chapter messed up here!

That is all good and I agree with it OLDREF, but the fact still remains that the chapter is poorly run and if a team requesting refs from outside of the area has something to do with whether or not refs show up for a under level game is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!

Heads need to roll on this one!!!!

HJ must be having a rough season in 2009 ;)

As far the Varsity game, I'm sure it goes a little something like this:

- T. Williams does not like one of the officials (bmt chapter) and called for a replacement

- T. Sutherland does not like the replacement and calls for a replacement

- Some research is done revealing that HJ gets SERIOUS home cooking bythe Bmt. Chapter(HJ shoots 35 FT on avg to the opponents 12 FT)

- A call is made to the UIL who decides to provide a neutral chapter.

Overall good decision by the UIL!

So the refs help HJ win at home?

why of course..........HJ has been winning 90% of there home games for years and it is all because the refs and has nothing to do with the fact that they are GOOOOOOOOD!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anagha.23
    Newest Member
    anagha.23