PN-G: Pros/Cons Of Long

smitty

There is a lot of speculation that Long is the favorite for this job.  But not sure how they'll handle the Masters situation. I'm sure there are a lot of HC's with Masters around the state -- with good records -- that would love to have this job.  Again hinting to go out and talk to some of the top-notch coaches around the state.  Don't limit yourself.

Well, back to the subject.  Con: People were saying PN-G's offense was boring.  Well -- they ran Long's offense.  So what they might be saying is he'll be less boring?  He won't have his son as QB.  He'll keep a majority of the asst. coaches.  Sometimes when things are bad, one has to clean house.  Now we could put this in the pro category if he cleans house.  Pro:  He's not MB.

I'm can't remember what his record is at Kelly.  So I can't place that yet in the Pro or Con category.

Any thoughts?

This thread should be removed.  Posters who probably couldn't tell a football from a basketball on here debating the pros/cons of Long.  Mike Long has a family that may read this, players that may read this.  This type of thread will lead to nothing good. 

Would it be okay to get a page to talk about the refinery workers, loggers, lawyers, etc... And express our in depth knowledge of their line of work? 

Without the Masters I think this is a dead issue, but:

1. PNG has not been running Longs offense the past several years. He was more aggressive and less predictable, but he was also handcuffed by MB. Fact

2. People want to point out that while at Kelly they didn't have great success, but most people forget or don't know several things about Kelly:

a. They have roughly 450 students. That would make them a very small, border line 3A.

b. They tend to play 4A and much larger 3A pre-district.

c. They pay very little. Most people equate Kelly as this rich school, but it is not. The kids may

be rich kids, but the staff is payed less than public school. Therefore small staff.

d. Despite not winning the TAPPS title in 2007 they had a very good year 10-1 and beat some

good teams handely in the process. And were fun to watch offensively with a QB that Long

helped develop.

In the end he probably wont be the hire, but I would not be unhappy if they decided he was the man for the job (sans the Masters). And most of the guys that I talked to that played for him say the same. Also the folks I have talked to from Kelly really like him because he has interest in the whole athletic department unlike Stump (great coach) before him.

Hey Coop, sounds like all some of these people want to do is whine.  Can you create a whining board so that these touchy-feely people can go to and feel good about themselves.  And leave the serious discussion to those that really wants to discuss.  

And Bear, go ahead and create a logger, refinery, or whatever discussion, and see if you get any takers.

And Bear, it sounds like you are shocked that there are other opinions.

This thread should be removed.  Posters who probably couldn't tell a football from a basketball on here debating the pros/cons of Long.  Mike Long has a family that may read this, players that may read this.  This type of thread will lead to nothing good. 

Would it be okay to get a page to talk about the refinery workers, loggers, lawyers, etc... And express our in depth knowledge of their line of work? 

Now this is a serious discussion.  BADNDN:  Good one.

Without the Masters I think this is a dead issue, but:

1. PNG has not been running Longs offense the past several years. He was more aggressive and less predictable, but he was also handcuffed by MB. Fact

2. People want to point out that while at Kelly they didn't have great success, but most people forget or don't know several things about Kelly:

a. They have roughly 450 students. That would make them a very small, border line 3A.

b. They tend to play 4A and much larger 3A pre-district.

c. They pay very little. Most people equate Kelly as this rich school, but it is not. The kids may

be rich kids, but the staff is payed less than public school. Therefore small staff.

d. Despite not winning the TAPPS title in 2007 they had a very good year 10-1 and beat some

good teams handely in the process. And were fun to watch offensively with a QB that Long

helped develop.

In the end he probably wont be the hire, but I would not be unhappy if they decided he was the man for the job (sans the Masters). And most of the guys that I talked to that played for him say the same. Also the folks I have talked to from Kelly really like him because he has interest in the whole athletic department unlike Stump (great coach) before him.

IndianChief: Yours was a good one also.

Don't see any Cons sorry. I believe he would bring different things to the table and would know how to adjust in certain situations. Another plus would be bring Dustin aboard and be the QB coach, heck certainly a win situation.

Few Pros:

* Had good offense at PNG when his son was playing QB

* His players liked playing for him

* If rumors are true and the new HC cant bring in his own staff Long is familiar with the current guys

* from PNG so probably loves & understands the school as much as we do

Few Cons:

* Been there done that

* a new HC but not the fresh brand new type candidate some are longing for

* one great year at Kelly as HC and 1 great year as OC at PNG, besides that somewhat avg seasons

* no Masters degree, so if the rules are changed for him he'll be under a microscope

If hired Coach Long may turn out to be exactally what the program needs. I'm just hoping all avenues are crossed before making the decision. Ill be pulling for whoever gets the job.

Hey Coop, sounds like all some of these people want to do is whine.  Can you create a whining board so that these touchy-feely people can go to and feel good about themselves.  And leave the serious discussion to those that really wants to discuss.  

And Bear, go ahead and create a logger, refinery, or whatever discussion, and see if you get any takers.

Not whining at all.  Just amazed at the arrogance of ignorant boobs such as yourself!

I doubt that you could tell the difference between the power I and  the wishbone. 

It's been a great discussion so far, with the exception of two whiny post.   

I know how to make sure the taxpayers get their money's worth when hiring HC's.  You have discussions, you take your time and talk pros and cons of the different candidates.  Since Long has been mentioned, we need to know this.  Or is this above your comprehension? 

Boob?  Ha!  That's brilliant, Einstein.

Again, Coop, please start a whiny board. 

Not whining at all.  Just amazed at the arrogance of ignorant boobs such as yourself!

I doubt that you could tell the difference between the power I and  the wishbone. 

Smity, what makes you or me qualified to give the pros or cons of these coaches? And dont give me that tax payer crap i am tired of hearing that.Just because we watch football games doesn't make us qualified. The elected school boards are trained for this and it is their job. what we say here may be entertainment for you, but it could be any nut job with a computer writing these opinions

Unless you are on another planet, school board members are me and you.  What makes them more qualified?  Enlighten me.

Taxpayers are not crap.  Is this way you feel about yourself?  We have the right, no, the obligation, to question anything. 

When picking coaches, I know you can't always get it right.  But you can narrow the alley for potential success.

But good post.  Your opinion is appreciated.

Smity, what makes you or me qualified to give the pros or cons of these coaches? And dont give me that tax payer crap i am tired of hearing that.Just because we watch football games doesn't make us qualified. The elected school boards are trained for this and it is their job. what we say here may be entertainment for you, but it could be any nut job with a computer writing these opinions

School boards are elected and trained for these situations. Me and you are not. These people put there names on the line, and are not anonymous posters playing on the computer like us.Tax payers are not garbage, but we are not qualified to pick a coach.

Trained for this particular situation when it comes to hiring coaches?  You are joking right?  I think you've said it all.  Thanks for the opinion.

School boards are elected and trained for these situations. Me and you are not. These people put there names on the line, and are not anonymous posters playing on the computer like us.Tax payers are not garbage, but we are not qualified to pick a coach.

Bear, you want those two discussed with one or two tights?  All day long, my friend, all day long.

Few Pros:

* Had good offense at PNG when his son was playing QB

* His players liked playing for him

* If rumors are true and the new HC cant bring in his own staff Long is familiar with the current guys

* from PNG so probably loves & understands the school as much as we do

Few Cons:

* Been there done that

* a new HC but not the fresh brand new type candidate some are longing for

* one great year at Kelly as HC and 1 great year as OC at PNG, besides that somewhat avg seasons

* no Masters degree, so if the rules are changed for him he'll be under a microscope

If hired Coach Long may turn out to be exactally what the program needs. I'm just hoping all avenues are crossed before making the decision. Ill be pulling for whoever gets the job.

I agree ith this post. I'm not impressed with his record but Todd Dodges record before Southlake Carroll was less than desirable also. I think it will be a mistake, but will support if we don't get any better applicants like I think we will. If better apply and get passed by I can't say how I would feel at that point.

Unless you are on another planet, school board members are me and you.  What makes them more qualified?  Enlighten me.

Taxpayers are not crap.  Is this way you feel about yourself?  We have the right, no, the obligation, to question anything. 

When picking coaches, I know you can't always get it right.  But you can narrow the alley for potential success.

But good post.  Your opinion is appreciated.

Your obligation is to pay your taxes and vote.  Other than that YOU are not qualified to pick a head coach. 

Great post.  Someone gets it. 

You are joking, right?  You are attaching an awful lot abilities to these school board members.  Just because they can get elected this makes them qualified?  The most unqualified man in the history of the U.S. just got elected president.  I rest my case.  But thanks for the post.

You are joking, right?  You are attaching an awful lot abilities to these school board members.  Just because they can get elected this makes them qualified?  The most unqualified man in the history of the U.S. just got elected president.   I rest my case.  But thanks for the post.

The elected school board usually gets a qualified committee together composed of school administrators, teachers, and former coaches. They do not get message board commandos or pop warner dads to select a coach.

You are right.  But there are board members involved.  And there are still bone-headed decisions being made.  So, again, what is qualified?

But I can't believe you would disparage a pop warner dad like that.  Say you are sorry.  Ha!

Contrary to popular message board thought by some, picking a HC is not rocket science.  Other than that, good post.

PS - I'll take issue about bringing former coaches and official committee members on the interview process.  Not to say it hasn't happen, but rare case.  Now if there are former coaches just teaching there, then their expertise would/should be welcome.  Bringing in outside former coaches on an official bases, well, it's usually not done.  Sometimes there are egos involved among some that does not make this the norm.  But again, not impossible.  My opinion?  I think it would be a plus to do it. 

You are joking, right?  You are attaching an awful lot abilities to these school board members.  Just because they can get elected this makes them qualified?  The most unqualified man in the history of the U.S. just got elected president.   I rest my case.  But thanks for the post.

The elected school board usually gets a qualified committee together composed of school administrators, teachers, and former coaches. They do not get message board commandos or pop warner dads to select a coach.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics