TIVY FIGHT NEVER DIES ! ~~~ Here's DCTF 's article...

urbuddha

SEMIFINAL II:

Dayton (12-1) vs. Kerrville Tivy (12-2)

2 p.m. Saturday, Georgetown

DCTF's breakdown: What a duel we have brewing in this one. It's not just a showdown of elite quarterbacks ... it's a showdown of pass-catch combos where all four players can make legitimate claims for an All-Texas high school team spot. That's good stuff.

We'll start with Dayton. Surprisingly, my inbox has not glowed with praise for Broncos QB Cody Green this year. Despite his DI interest ... despite his terrific playoff performances ... many readers seem reluctant to jump on his bandwagon. Obviously they have seen more of the Nebraska-bound talent than I have, but I would put his playoff numbers (and season numbers: 2,734 passing yards, 29 TDs and 1,353 rushing yards, 25 TDs) in pretty elite company. Looking at those totals, you don't need me to tell you he's a dual-threat kind of guy, and had he not lost last season to an injury, he might be one of the most heavily recruited guys in Texas. His primary target, A.J. Dugat, is also a statistical gold mine (1,531 receiving yards, 18 TDs and 485 rushing yards, 6 TDs), and while I said not every reader is totally buying into Green yet, they all rave about Dugat. Fast, strong and athletic, Dugat has been turning heads all year long. What are we getting at here? Dayton can score. A lot.

But Kerrville Tivy would love to see this turn into a shootout. QB Colton Palmer has had an up and down season; he started off the year in grand fashion, posting rushing and passing numbers that rivaled some of the state's best. But then there was a suspension involved in the middle of the season, and he temporarily lost his job to sophomore Johnny Manziel. When Palmer returned to the lineup, Manziel was playing well enough that they started to split time under center, with Palmer taking his non-QB snaps at center. Well, last week Palmer reasserted himself as the full-time starter at quarterback, reuniting him with standout WR Logan Vick. That combination makes Tivy extremely dangerous offensively, and I'm not sure Dayton will be able to outscore a team of the Antlers' talents. As great as these two offenses are, it might be a push as to which is better. That would mean it might come down to a defensive stop or two, and in that case, I like Tivy.

Padilla Poll says: Tivy by 5

Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Tivy by 6

TexasFootball.com says: Kerrville Tivy 42, Dayton 35

GO ANTLERS !

12-6-Tivy-v-Pflugg-NEWS1-web.jpg

TIVY FIGHT NEVER DIES !

pompoms.gifcheer_antlers.jpg

playoff1.jpg

TivyTLogo.gifTivyFightbanner.jpg

I like all of this stuff.Everybody left is good.Jake Shaw's email to me which I have posted this morning says otherwise about the writers picks.Just remember that Padilla & Jerry both picked Lumberton to the quarterfinals and picked at least 4 more to win that lost so they only make a prediction without ever seeing a team play.Coaching has to figure in on big games-Kerrville in its 2rd.year in the spread-Dayton and Staff have been at it awhile.

I like all of this stuff.Everybody left is good.Jake Shaw's email to me which I have posted this morning says otherwise about the writers picks.Just remember that Padilla & Jerry both picked Lumberton to the quarterfinals and picked at least 4 more to win that lost so they only make a prediction without ever seeing a team play.Coaching has to figure in on big games-Kerrville in its 2rd.year in the spread-Dayton and Staff have been at it awhile.

Here is a good article about that from the san antonio paper.

Express-News KERRVILLE — To persuade other Kerrville Tivy coaches to switch to a spread offense, offensive coordinator Julius Scott had to shed some blood.

The Antlers were coming off a 4-7 season in 2006, and Scott thought the spread could be the change Tivy needed. Worried the spread was just a trendy offense, other assistants made Scott sign a statement saying the Antlers would stick with the spread for at least two seasons. They made him sign it in blood.

“There are four other offensive coaches, and absolutely none of them were with me at the beginning,†Scott said. “Only one was brave enough to tell me they all thought I was crazy.â€

In the second season of the spread, the Antlers better stick with their offense. After all, they're in the Class 4A Division II state semifinals and are averaging 41.3 points and 431 yards per game.

And they've gone 22-4 since adopting the spread.

“We've gotten a few people in Kerrville to believe in it,†Scott said.

Scott, who's coached at Tivy since 1999, runs the Antlers' offense while head coach Mark Smith works almost exclusively with the defense.

Scott developed the offense after seeing Wimberley's no-huddle spread at a playoff game in Kerrville in 2005. Wimberley coach Weldon Nelms, whose team won a Class 3A state title that year, often worked with Scott as he adapted the Texans' offense for the Antlers. They also spoke about once a week during Kerrville's first season in the spread.

According to Scott, the key to the Antlers' one-back spread is the precision of their routes.

Tivy's offense looks manic when four receivers are all over the field, but the Antlers actually run so few plays that there isn't even a playbook. No audibles either.

What confuses opposing defenses is that the Antlers can run the same plays out of about a dozen formations, most of which feature plenty of motion. Players have had their routes memorized since August, knowing exactly what spot on the field they need to hit regardless of where they are before the snap.

“The thing I probably say most in practice is, ‘Do it again,'†Scott said. “We've run each route hundreds and hundreds of times.â€

With the success they're having, the Antlers may be running the same routes over and over for years to come. Even after Scott's blood contract expires.

Comments from opposing coaches.

“The scheme is good, but the thing that makes Tivy special is the speed at which they play. There’s no hesitation with the receivers. They’re running full speed from the snap, they play with full confidence and they always know they’re going to the right spot.â€

Les Davis, New Braunfels Canyon

“You can tell those kids have been around each other for a while. They’re always on the same page and always have their timing down. Everybody knows about Logan Vick and Colton Palmer, but now they’re finding out Tivy has five or six solid skill guys. They’ve taken the zone-read play to another level, and it’s because of Palmer. He makes such quick decisions. The way they play and use all of their threats, it reminds me of the University of Florida.â€

Mike Jinks, Steele

“It’s extremely explosive. They’re an extremely talented team and can get to you anywhere on the field. They never quit working and can always find that open spot.â€

Chip Killian, Pflugerville Hendrickson

“The mobility of the quarterback is the key. Defenses see their quarterbacks moving around and you can tell the scrambling hurts. Tivy gets (Colton) Palmer or (Johnny) Manziel on these rollouts and bootlegs, and as soon as a defender hesitates, a receiver gets free.â€

Greg Ferrara, Clemens

Guest tigersvoice

Dave Cambell's staff picks Tivy? How lucky can Dayton get, we know how often DC misses the mark......LOL. Go Broncs, make Southeast Texas proud!!!!!

That's like the Sports Illustrated kiss of death!  Go Broncos . . .

Go Rollin Go Rollin ;Your on a roll today and I am glad to see you are back from your surgery.All this hoopla and excitement is enough to put a little more energy in the stands saturday.Let's all show Tivy a little southern redneck rowdy crowd and get into it big time on every big hit and every score.A win and next week we're back again on the same field.Let's go all you alumni and quests wearing your team colors and root on those Broncos to Victory.

Watch that Tivy defense, i hear they try to take players out of games, Cody and A.J. will be targets.

Kind of like angleton tried to do in 2000 against Calvin & Lamar with the late hits, hitting with the  helmets on ankles and knees

They are not cheap shot artists, TIVY is a classy bunch of kids...

Yeah I bet you'll be making a pit stop down on 6th street  somewhere along the way to party and you will just think you jumped the fence.Ha Ha I'll be behind you leaving at 6am for breakfast at Ihop @ 9:45 w/my vietnam marine corps commanding officer a dean at UT.Broncos by 13

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder