PERRYN KEYS: Ike roughed up Montagne, but humans will take care of Higgins

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Some highlights from the article:

While Woodard's staff will be busy recruiting players in the next two years, Cardinal Stadium will undergo an extra-large overhaul, with a price tag in the tens of millions.

Even before that, Higgins Field House will vanish.

Its ultra-modern, monster-sized replacement will be a testament to how much college football has changed since Lamar killed its program in 1989. Among other things, the new building will include a 5,000-square-foot weight room; a 4,000-square-foot training facility; an academic room; a giant football team meeting room; meeting rooms for players at each position; and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

There could be more, too. Woodard said luxury suites - an optional addition since the early planning phase of football's return - also might be a part of the new facility.

"I don't know about the suites right now," Woodard said. "That is not off the table; I'll say that. I know (athletics director) Billy Tubbs and (president) Jimmy Simmons are working hard at that and looking into it. ... Now that's a frill. But it's definitely not off the table. It's been discussed more than once."

The NCAA prohibits coaches from speaking about specific recruits, and Woodard won't say how many athletes have scholarship offers from Lamar at the moment.

Woodard will say this much, however: His staff have evaluated all of the Golden Triangle and three-fourths of Houston.

"The offers are out there. We've offered enough young men," Woodard said.

"I know you can look at it one way and say ... it'd be no fun to come here and sit for a year until we start playing (in 2010). But we say this: Come on in and we'll get you an extra year toward your college degree. I can point to any number of young men who go four years to a school and don't get finished."

Link: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/perryn_keys__ike_roughed_up_montagne__but_humans_will_take_care_of_higgins_10-05-2008.html

Guest abovetherim

Has RW said how many players he'd like to sign this year (2009) compared to 2010?

Why? First of all, the clock is ticking. Sure, there won't be an actual game for two more years. But Woodard is recruiting players now. He plans to sign 30 or so athletes in February - and when they report for the fall 2009 semester, they need the new field house to be ready.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/perryn_keys__ike_roughed_up_montagne__but_humans_will_take_care_of_higgins_10-05-2008.html

Guest coachacola

and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

This statement rules out any bowl configuration in the case there is every an expansion....

That's not entirely true.  Unless the athletic complex is right on top of the end zone then there is room for seats.  There's quite a few FBS stadiums that are either bowls or horseshoes with maybe 4000 or 5000 seats in the end zones.  LU could squeeze around 4000 seats in front of the Montagne right now.  Add another 4000 seats in the south end zone and capacity is now at 25K (and the stadium isn't even a bowl yet).  If they extend the stands to meet the end zone seats that would add another 5000 or more seats and you have a 30K+ bowl stadium.

Cardinal Stadium was designed to be a bowl, but that doesn't mean it has to be a perfectly shaped bowl.  I bet both the Montagne Center and the new athletic complex will be tied into Cardinal Stadium so it's almost like one big complex.

and, of course, coaches' offices, which overlook Cardinal Stadium from the south end of the field.

This statement rules out any bowl configuration in the case there is every an expansion....

That's not entirely true.  Unless the athletic complex is right on top of the end zone then there is room for seats.  There's quite a few FBS stadiums that are either bowls or horseshoes with maybe 4000 or 5000 seats in the end zones.  LU could squeeze around 4000 seats in front of the Montagne right now.  Add another 4000 seats in the south end zone and capacity is now at 25K (and the stadium isn't even a bowl yet).  If they extend the stands to meet the end zone seats that would add another 5000 or more seats and you have a 30K+ bowl stadium.

Cardinal Stadium was designed to be a bowl, but that doesn't mean it has to be a perfectly shaped bowl.  I bet both the Montagne Center and the new athletic complex will be tied into Cardinal Stadium so it's almost like one big complex.

How much would it cost to bowl 4,000 seats in front of the Montagne?  That would create a killer situation for LU and hell for opposing teams.

How much would it cost to fully bowl the south end?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder