Top State In HS Football

Swoop1717  - (from the espn website)

"The thing that makes high school football King in Texas even more so than the amazing talent are the number of amazing PROGRAMS. From Dallas to Odessa to Houston and everywhere in between there are schools who take football extremely seriously and pour money into making sure they stay competitive year in year out. Unlike Cali or Florida, it doesn't matter whether it is a big city team or a small town. Coaches are 2nd-3rd generation who grew up playing Texas HS Football. It's in their blood. A state championship in Texas, at any level, is an incredibly difficult thing to win once, let alone multiple times. While some other states have 2 maybe 3 national powerhouses each year, Texas has half a dozen or more at each divisional level that could matchup against the best in the nation and hold their own. It isn't even close when it comes to comparing where the heart beat of HS Football in this country resides when the lights come on Friday night."

amazingly put!

One thing that I have always had a problem with is that most of the top nationally ranked programs year in and year out are private schools. Most states allow the privates to play with the publics in the same playoffs thus they get to recruit the top talent to one team. Imagine if Kelly could play in the 5A State Playoffs against the likes of Katy and SLC. Most of the top area talent would flock to Kelly to get that edge. Then the public schools would be watered down.

Look at the top teams from other states:

St. X - Ohio (private)

Concord DeLaSalle - Cali (private)

Evangel Christian - Louisiana (private)

Even Miami NW gets to pull from the entire district of over 100,000 students.

I for one am glad that our state has kept that trend from happening too much. I know that occassionaly a school will lose a kid to a private academy with a scholarship but I like how most of our kids like growing up and playing for their local team.

I cam from a small town in the Panhandle and the entire town revolved around the school and the kids. Pretty much everyone I grew up with played football at one point or another through high school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami