**POST THUR, FRI, SAT SCRIMMAGE SCORES AND COMMENTS HERE**

I attended the Jasper/Nederland scrimmage and came away with only two thoughts. First, I ruined my favorite Skecher sandals, and second, both Bulldogs ruined the Nederland football field. That field will never recover for the rest of the season. I was totally shocked that they played on it. It was nothing but a mud hole by halftime. I walked the sideline the whole game and went out on the field at half and sunk to my ankles. This may very well been a ploy to get that turf field now.

BTW, Jasper looks to be at midseason form. Hope they don't peak too early. ;)

you dont really think that was by accident do you? If there wasnt a bond issue w/field turf on the horizon there's no way they play that game there and destroy the field.

Just trying to get more votes and I guess I dont blame them. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hull Daisetta beat Deweyville 2-1 in the controlled scrimmage and the 2-live quarters of play ended 0 - 0.  However, HD dominated the scrimmage on both sides of the ball, if not for 2-turnovers deep in Deweyville territority HD would have scored more points.  Deweyville's offensive total for the WHOLE scrimmage was close to negative total yards. HD is a very good, well Coached team that will do very well this year, on the other hand, Deweyville is in trouble.  Unless changes are made, Deweyville will be lucky to win 1-game this year.  Again, congrats to HD, they looked very fast, and well Coached.

Was Deweyville beating themselves are could they just not do anything?

Offensively you have 4-returning All-District lineman, 2-start on offense and the other 2-start on defense, we are a small 2a school, we can't afford to try and have 11-on offense and a different 11-on defense.  The offense we run is a spread offense that throws the ball, your strength is power football to take advantage of the lineman, we do not have the atheletes to run the spread offense. On defense you have a player that just finished the JV scrimmage put on the starting Defense as the strong side LB.  Just really disappointing with this being the 3rd scrimmage action to include the intra squad scrimmage to see the level of play tonight, Deweyville is better than that, but the Coach's have to give the players a chance to win by putting the best 11 on the field.  HD came to play, I don't want to take anything from them, however, Deweyville needs to wake up and recognize that unless changes are made, this will be a very long season. IMO

Deweyville had a good coach (Bickham)but they bellyached so much that he left.  HMMMM

0-6 in district might be the reason.

IMO deweyville has the talent and sure have the hart , boys play hard, but they were not used right. the kids look big and strong , take advantage of that. Deweyville will kill warren  in district. so keep your heads up. and if i remember the pirates used to play smash mouth ball not all the tackleing and blocking low, am i right just wandering

Heard that Anahuac and Tarkington were playing here in Dayton. Went out to the stadium on lunch and watched some. Anahuac scored first two times they got it and Tarkington never got a first down. Anahuac looked like they were not quite ready for 4 quarters yet. Tarkington looked like they were not ready for the season yet.

BH holds own against 5A Mavs

By Joey D. Richards

joey.richards(at)baytownsun.com

PASADENA — Barbers Hill’s second-team offense had a first-rate day against Pasadena Memorial during a controlled scrimmage Friday at Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Backup quarterback Cade McDonald threw two touchdown passes to spark the Eagles. However, Memorial came back to score on a 40-yard touchdown throw on one of its last possessions to finish with a 3-2 advantage.

“I thought our effort was good,†Barbers Hill head coach Don Price said. “We had our opportunities to score a little more. But we play every kid. So, we were real pleased with our effort.

“Next week, we have to get ready for Port Neches and decide on our 11 (offensive starters) and 11 (defensive starters) and go with them.â€

Barbers Hill opens the season against Port Neches-Groves at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Mont Belvieu.

The Class 4A Eagles opened the scrimmage on offense against Class 5A Memorial, and the first-team offense struggled. Three of the first five possessions ended with turnovers, including two interceptions.

The Eagles managed four first downs during those five possessions — three coming on the scrimmage’s fourth possessions.

Tony Carmona, the team’s starting quarterback, did complete 4 of 7 passes for 31 yards to spark a nine-play drive that died at the Memorial 28 on that fourth possession.

Carmona, a senior, completed 5 of 12 passes for 52 yards during the first five possessions. Dropped passes — and the two picks — hampered the Eagles.

“We can throw the ball,†Price said. “We just dropped some balls. But we’re not going to do that anymore.

“If you can’t catch it, then you’re not going to be on the field.â€

Memorial, a 10-3 playoff team last season, drove 70 yards on 10 plays for a score on its first offensive possession. The Mavericks ran seven times for 43 yards on the drive and capped things off with a 10-yard scoring pass.

The Eagles defense played better the rest of the day, but Memorial managed a 23-yard touchdown pass later in the scrimmage for a 2-0 advantage.

“I thought they did much better the second time around,†Price said of his defense. “(Memorial) has a good little running back (Bo Snelson). He has an offer from (Texas) Tech and all the service academies.â€

Barbers Hill got its first score on the second-team offense’s first possession of the day. McDonald began the series with a 40-yard toss to Matt Viverette, and he capped the four-play, 70-play drive with a 14-yard TD pass to Viverette. The senior made a nice leaping catch in the end zone.

The Eagles tied the scrimmage on a 60-yard scoring pass to Caleb Stork, who caught the ball at about the Memorial 30-yard line and scampered the rest of the way.

However, Memorial got a 40-yard scoring pass on a third-and-10 play — just six plays before the scrimmage’s end — to break the tie.

“I was a little disappointed giving up the big play at the end,†Price said. “But that’s things we’ve got to work on.

“We just had kids out there who have never played on Friday nights. You’ve got to learn how to play on Friday nights, and that young man (the defender on the play) hasn’t learned how to play on Friday night.

Ganders play DP tough

By Nick Cioci

The Baytown Sun

Published August 23, 2008 - Updated 32 minutes ago

DEER PARK — It may not have been the start the fans were hoping for but it was still a good start to the football season for Robert E. Lee high school, according to head coach Dick Olin.

Lee scrimmaged Friday night against Deer Park in a game like setting where they only thing they weren’t allowed to do was return kicks.

The Ganders went 5-6 last year and return 26 lettermen while

Deer Park went 8-3 and returns 38 lettermen.

“I felt it went fine,†Olin said. “Deer Park is picked to finish second in the district so I feel it was a good overall scrimmage.â€

The Ganders didn’t get a first down until their third possession and weren’t able to score until late in the game.

But to the fans’ delight, they were able to get 7 on the board.

A Tim Jirrels 61-yard pass to C.J. Mixon got the Ganders on the board late in the game.

“Our offense has a long way to go,†Olin said. “We aren’t seeing receivers and our protection was breaking down a lot.

“We are still looking for a starter (at quarterback). We are still looking at all our Qbs.â€

Deer Park was able to score three touchdowns, capitalizing on some Gander mistakes.

The Deer scored on a 33-yard interception return, a 19-yard touchdown pass after converting three long third down conversions, and a bad punt by the Ganders.

Even with the three scores, Olin feels his defense did a great job.

One score came on the pick and another came on the bad punt.

“If you give anyone that short a field they are going to score,†Olin said referring to the bad punt. “But overall, we are running a new defense this year and I feel the defense did real well trying to adjust to the new schemes we are throwing at them.â€

The Ganders will look to correct the mistakes they had during the scrimmage Friday night and be back at it again next week when they travel to Orange to play Little Cypress-Maurceville.

Sterling looking good!!

Rangers rock, roll PHS

By Dave Rogers

Published August 23, 2008 - Updated 36 minutes ago

Apparently the Sterling Rangers football coaches aren’t kidding when they speak of momentum carrying over from last year’s season-ending win.

Quarterback Keagan Kogut threw two touchdown passes and backup Andre Corley a third as the Rangers downed Pasadena High 21-0 in a controlled scrimmage at Stallworth Stadium Friday night.

Too bad it was only a scrimmage. The Rangers open the season for real next Friday when they host La Porte at 7 p.m. in Stallworth.

“La Porte’s good. They’re going to be a great test,†RSS head coach Herb Minyard said. “They’re going to hit us in the mouth.â€

The Rangers did some hitting of their own Friday, both with some pinpoint passing by Kogut and Corley and on defense.

Minyard’s biggest regret was that Sterling didn’t get to work as much as he would have liked on its running game.

“They weren’t going to let us run the football tonight with the numbers they had in the box,†the coach said of an Eagle defense that put seven or eight players up near the line of scrimmage.

“But we got some quality work in passing and catching the football.â€

Kogut passed to running back Chance Nelson for a 51-yard score on Sterling’s fourth offensive play of action in three quarters of game-like work.

The pass actually only covered a couple of yards forward, but Nelson carried it down the left sideline to paydirt.

Corley connected with Dwain Nicholas wide open in the end zone on a fourth-and-10 play from the Eagle 27-yard line and Israel Rodriguez tacked on the second of his third extra points to make it 14-0.

The final score came on the final play of the night, a 63-yard pass and run from Kogut to D’Andre Thompson.

Pasadena kept the ball for the first 12 plays of the game-like work, helped by a fourth-down offsides penalty against Sterling that nullified an Eagle fumble.

But the Rangers pushed Pasadena back from their 19 to a fourth-and-17 at the 26 and stopped the play. The Eagles made one more first down the rest of the night.

“I felt like our defense did an adequate job,†Minyard said. “We kept them out of the end zone. Still, we have got to learn to get off the field on third down.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83