U.S. Olympic team observations

The US squeaked out an extremely important win against Japan, but they were pretty fortunate to do so.  The US had more control in the midfield, but Japan exploited them on the flanks.  There were two soft fouls in the box, either one of which could've resulted in a PK for Japan, but neither was called.  Japan also had many more chances in and around the box, and if they had been putting them on goal, Guzan could've been a world of hurt.  Also, the last 30 minutes or so, every long ball sent towards the US' back third was won and flicked on by Japan, resulting in several chances.  I won't say that the US was dominated, but Japan deserved at least a draw.

POSITIVES:

The US controlled the ball well in the midfield, and most of the game their pressure there resulted in many Japan turnovers.

Wynn looked really good throughout the game, making several key plays.

McBride drew a ton of fouls and controlled the air on long balls.

Holden, Kliejstan, and Bradley all played very well.

Jozy came in and made an immediate impact, being about 6 inches away on two seperate occasions from creating one-on-one chances.

Edu played well most of the game, although he could've cost the US the game on two different borderline fouls in the box.

They found a way to win!

NEGATIVES:

Orozco played poorly.  He got burned down the flank the entire game, and when the ball came to his feet, he did not distribute well.  Surely there are better options there, unless he really had an off-game.

Adu might have been a little hampered by the ref, but he held the ball too long, often waiting until he had 2 or 3 defenders on him before he tried to get rid of the ball.  Also, when the calls did not go his way, he took himself out of the game, and picked up a stupid yellow card to boot.

The US was eaten up on the wings, especially on Orozco's side.  Against a team with better forwards, they WILL concede goals off of crosses unless they shore things up.

The US continues to struggle to create chances in the offensive third.  They did finish their one great chance, but that was their only great chance, with the only other opportunities coming from shots well outside the box.

The US needs to push up and win 50/50 long balls coming into their defensive third.  Again, if they play a team with better forwards, this will be exploited.

Your thoughts?

Thanks bullets.

I didn't think Mcbride would play for the USMNT again..

But I guess it's looking good for us so far. 8)

during the Olympics, each country is allowed only three players over the age of 23.  Since World Cup qualifying is going on right now, he was a logical choice, as players like Donovan, Dempsey, etc are already busy.  He doesn't really play for the full team anymore, but he's still a very talented and experienced player.  I think he was a good choice. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder