Area Competitive Soccer

Some time ago several people posted comments about the state of soccer in southeast Texas. "What could improve soccer here?" was the question. It is disappointing to hear that top players from this area have to travel to Houston for top training and competitive opportunities. Maybe this area needs to reevaluate its organization of the competitive arm of soccer. What if area soccer were structured in the following manner?

Begin at the local level getting kids involved with the most important goal of teaching them to have fun and enjoy the game. (and yes, teach fundamentals along the way) The local level would also be responsible for identifying players who demonstrated above average potential for soccer. By 10 or 11 years old these players would be referred to an entity designated by the area soccer association as the sole competitive arm of the Golden Triangle. Those players desiring to play at the competitive level would come together to create elite teams that could successfully compete with the Houston teams. While it might mean local clubs giving up revenue from those players it could mean a substantive leap for competitive area soccer - combining the talents that are currently scattered locally into a united competitive group.  The first year should serve only U11/U12 teams. Following the first year a new U11/U12 group would be added with the inaugural group moving up to the next age bracket, and so on. Naturally, the association would have to find a way to bring in the most talented trainers possible but I believe it could happen. Local clubs would continue to host recreational teams at each age level and identify "late bloomers" who may desire to move to the competitive venue.

I know we have had some success in the past with local clubs fielding teams that could occasionally beat Houston teams, but wouldn't it be exciting to be able to beat them consistently each year?

Please understand I am no soccer guru, only an observer and lover of soccer. I see the potential for soccer in the Golden Triangle and would like to see it explored to it fullest.

• 1 month later...

I played at the higher levels in this area.  And yes we would go to Houston tournaments and ocacassionally win them.  And actually play against some fellow high school players that were playing for the Houston clubs.  The only reason people would go to Houston and play is for exposure to scouts.  Its not that we couldn't beat those teams. 

I played at the higher levels in this area.  And yes we would go to Houston tournaments and ocacassionally win them.  And actually play against some fellow high school players that were playing for the Houston clubs.  The only reason people would go to Houston and play is for exposure to scouts.  Its not that we couldn't beat those teams. 

i agree with you, to an extent.  in 1999/2000 i played with a local club team that dominated everywhere we played.  that team came together kind of by accident, with a solid core of wb and kelly players supplemented by some of the best players from some of the smaller schools in the area.  We spanked teams from houston, dallas, san antonio, just about everywhere.  the thing was, we were light years better than any other team in this area.  there was nobody anywhere around that could compete.  although beaumont was capable of fielding one such team, houston has entire leagues that could've provided us with solid competition during that time.  we had to have a fluke of a team develop in order to beat those guys.  i think at this point, it still makes sense for our better players to head to houston, ESPECIALLY if they want some exposure.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick review of the EDDOA scheduling web site is sure discouraging for our local soccer talent.  Especially on the boys side.  Only one boys team is testing themselves out of the area.

and that is a U-12 team.  The Spindletop boys are completely absent from EDDOA and Super 2 competition.  Congratulations to the U-16 Spindletop Girls for qualifying for the EDDOA Classic bracket and to the U-14 Spindletop Girls for making the Competitive bracket.  Were are Jr. high and high school aged boys playing.  I know we have a couple at TSC and DTHD but were are the rest.  If I were a high school coach, I would be concerned.  Soccer talent needs development from an early age.  Unlike football, you can't just show up in highschool with a little speed and coordination and expect to be good.

The college season just started.  Does anyone know how Waltrip UT-Tyler and Kirby U. Denver are doing?  Do we have any other local college players to follow?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont