LC-M grad Rowell OK after bus fire in Iowa

LC-M grad Rowell OK after bus fire in Iowa

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Little Cypress-Mauriceville graduate Jake Rowell is used to being on fire during baseball season — just not in the literal sense.

Rowell, playing for the Clarinda, Iowa A’s during a summer league, was involved in a bus fire early Monday after a weekend trip through Kansas.

Rowell, who is signed to play for Angelina Junior College, and the 24 other member of the team escaped without harm yet lost baseball and personal equipment.

The team was traveling on Interstate 29 back home after taking two-of-three on a weekend trip when one of the bus’s inside tires blew out and quickly started a fire.

Clarinda Coach Ryan Eberly got everyone off the bus and shortly Rowell said another player spotted the fire in the back of the bus.

“The whole back-quarter panel was on fire,†Rowell said. “We had no time to get anything out of the bus. We called 9-1-1 and by the time they got there, half the bus was gone. When the fire was put out, it was empty. It looked completely bare.â€

Rowell said he lost about $3,000 worth of baseball equipment and personal iteams to the fire.

“I was kind of in awe the whole time,†Rowell added. “I am glad we got off the bus but I know I only needed about a minute to get my things off the bus. I guess hindsight is 20-20.â€

Now Rowell and the A’s are trying to find new uniforms and equipment to finish off what was a promising season.

“We had jsut took two-out-of-three from two good teams,†Rowell said. “We were really feeling it over the weekend. It takes feeling hot to a new level now.

“We can sort of laugh now because a guy from Minnesota walked into a team meeting that said ‘Burnsville: 5A State Champions.’â€

Rowell, the 2007 Orange Leader Offensive Player of the Year, is playing with the A’s after talking to his coaches back at Angelina.

“So far it is everything they promised it would be,†Rowell said.

Rowell just never dreamed of being that hot early Monday morning.

well angelina is a good school.. i just think in the future he cld be D1 material.

You should offer him a scholarship!!

I didn't understand your post. You said he should transfer to a better school. Angelina is a 2 year school he will have to transfer to continue playing. Then you said he COULD be D1 material in the FUTURE. In the future is when he will have to transferso why would you want him to transfer now when you don't think he is D1 material??????????????????????????? All of that being said, unless you are a college coach or a scout it really doesn't matter if you think he is D1 material or not.

Stay where you are and keep up the good work.

I think Rowell's last minute change of mind from McNeese State (D-1) to Angelina (JC) was what was best for him.  The coaching change at McNeese left the incoming coach with some kids that he did not recruit, many of which he has now let go following a 13-42 season.  On the other hand, the Angelina Roadrunners and Jake Rowell finished the season at a 32-18 mark.  One more season at AC and Jake will be eligible to return to a McNeese team that has worked its way out of a hole that the previous staff left them in.  Or he could have a great sophomore season and end up at a Big 12 school, who knows.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124