• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neumann to stay at Nederland

Bulldogs boss receives raise, withdraws at La Marque

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Larry Neumann withdrew his name as a La Marque coaching finalist Tuesday morning, saying he was happy to accept a pay raise to stay at Nederland.

Speculation ran strong within Galveston County media circles that the 15-year head coach of the Bulldogs -- the winningest in Nederland history -- was the likely choice of La Marque schools superintendent Ecomet Burley to become the Cougars' new head coach in another week.

Neumann spoke with NISD school board members during the weekend, and a Monday evening phone call from superintendent Gail Krohn gave the 56-year-old Pasadena native an assurance of receiving a base salary improvement from his current $78,000 to approximately $92,000 annually.

It is believed the salary adjustment would go into effect at the start of the next school year.

"Me and my wife (Beth) are at peace with our decision," said Neumann in a Tuesday evening cell phone call from Denton, where he and NHS staff members studied Todd Dodge's football practice at the University of North Texas.

"We deliberated over a lot of variables but my focus is squarely on the future at Nederland now. The events of the last 24 or 48 hours have played a big part, though."

Neumann has compiled a 120-55-1 record with the Bulldogs, setting Golden Triangle football records for most consecutive playoff trips (11) and most consecutive bidistrict playoff victories (10).

The opportunity to move to La Marque opened in mid-February when Chris Jones resigned after one season. It was reported by The News last week that Neumann and four other applicants were recommended as finalists by a consulting firm.

The other finalists were Dallas Kimball head coach Darrell Jordan, Grapevine head coach Gary Mullins, Aldine Nimitz head coach David Suggs and Flower Mound Marcus defensive coordinator Chuck Vincent.

La Marque's Burley apparently had an outstanding interview with Neumann. Sources have indicated Larry to have been the frontrunner for the position. Neumann would not deny that to be true.

"I wouldn't want to hurt La Marque in any way," the Nederland head coach said. "I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. We had an excellent meeting. They all handled me extremely well."

Those positive La Marque vibes forced Nederland's heavy hitters to huddle and re-evaluate Neumann's salary situation. The NISD administration responded and the Neumanns had a tough Monday evening and night to ponder the options before bedtime.

"The decision I'm making today is right for us and hopefully right for Nederland," Neumann said Tuesday. "Nederland has been a great place to work. Their efforts (on salary improvement) as of late, fall in line with the kind of support that I've had from them.

“It shows their intent is in the right place. That's good enough for me. I value the judgments of the people that I've talked to. I don't think there's any secret about their intent. That, along with the other variables, and everything else is the reason for the conclusion we've come to today."

Neumann avoided the matter of Nederland's salary raise, saying it "would be inappropriate" for him to cover that issue. NISD schools superintendent Krohn wanted to clarify that her district had every intent of taking a step to improve Neumann's salary dating back to last fall.

Guest abovetherim

Good luck, but I think there is a chance he leaves. You might want to call the BISD school board.

However, back on this topic I'm thrilled to learn the news Coach Neumann is staying at Nederland.

I am sure that NISD board phones have been ringing off the wall but good for the parents of the kids that made it happen. Keep your Coach who think so highly of and and get to win many more games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder