Do or Die time for Nederland/DOGS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do or Die time for Nederland

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

CROSBY -- It's an established program with a runner-up District 20-4A finish against a first-year school with a third-place District 19-4A status.

Therefore, the uninformed observer would tend to select the District 20-4A runner-up -- which in this case is Nederland -- to be the likely winner in tonight's boys bidistrict game in Cougar Stadium at 8 p.m.

Now let us fill in the current information about Nederland (16-4-2, 14-2-2) and its novice challenger from Humble Kingwood Park.

The Panthers of coach Ryan Smith defeated coach Rob Bledsoe's Bulldogs 4-1 in the season opener for both teams Jan. 10 at the Kingwood tournament.

Then there's the angle of being at full strength.

Three Nederland starters definitely are out due to injuries and suspensions. Five others are banged up and are coming off very limited practice time. Plus the Nederlanders face a win or go home situation now because they meet Kingwood Park in a winner-take-all situation.

It would be understandable if Nederland's sixth-year head coach Bledsoe should bring an umbrella tonight. Because in recent days, when it's rained on Rob, it's poured.

"It's been all kinds of fun lately," Bledsoe said sarcastically.

"But we're not looking for excuses. I've inserted plenty of players during the season when I could have played my regulars longer, because I wanted our team to be able to deal with situations just like this."

A combination of Jake Kemp, Jared Willson and Brent Salenga will comprise Nederland's two forward spots. Junior Tyler Virdine likely will answer the bell though he will play through a stomach virus. If Vidrine should need to take a rain check, senior Albert Clavijo would start at goalkeeper.

The four-man midfield combination will be comprised of Hunter Turk on the left outside and Taylor Trahan on the right with Jordan Wagner and either Bay Callaway or Jack Wilson in the middle. Juniors Ryan Washburn and Jordan Landry play the sweeper and stopper posts with Ian Barnett and Miles Lawler as the fullbacks.

That group actually encourages the Nederland mentor. It's the depth that greatly concerns him.

"There's the main concern, depth," Bledsoe said. "I'm playing guys who don't mind playing but in many cases, I'm going to have to bring up JV guys and have them in backup roles."

Kingwood Park starts a freshman (Colby Sias) at goalkeeper and sports three sensational sophomores --midfielder Juan Castillo (No. 10), defender Casen Hunger (No. 7) and forward Lance Draper (No. 11). Castillo scored twice in KP's 4-1 win over Nederland two months ago.

"Castillo is the total package," Bledsoe said. "He's the one of the quickest, most-skilled players anywhere."

it was 1-0 kp at the half, a few minutes into the second half the dogs scored on a pk. 1-1 about 30 minutes left in regular time

Dogs scored on about a forty yard freekick taken by Ian Barnett.

The dogs looked like they gave up after KP scored, but after the goal from Barnett, the dogs realized they still had a chance to win the game and picked up the intensity.

Great game, and great job dogs!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami