Balk rule ??

The stretch position is now defined by foot placement. If the non pivot foot is ENTIRELY in front of the rubber, the pitcher is in the stretch. If the pitcher is in the stretch, he must come to a complete stop before going home.

For some reason, guys are beginning their wind ups with the non pivot foot in front. This is totally fine as long as there are no runners on base. If this is done with runners on base it is a balk.

It's not so much a new balk rule. but enforcement of the pitching rule.  Here are all the points of emphasis for this year.

POINTS OF EMPHASIS

Pitching

Starting position of the non-pivot foot determines whether the pitcher is in the windup or set position.

Windup  Non-pivot foot shall be in any position on or behind a line extending through the front edge of the pitchers plate.

Set  Before starting his delivery, shall stand with his entire non-pivot foot in front of a line extending through the front edge of the pitchers plate.

If his non-pivot foot meets the requirement of the set position, but he attempts to pitch from the wind-up, he has balked.

Going to the mouth on the pitchers plate is a balk.

The pitcher may come to a complete and discernible stop with the glove in front of his head (some part of the glove at the chin level; could be the bottom part of the glove).  Basically the pro rule, must stop with the glove in front of his body, the head counts as body.

Obstruction

Fielders are not allowed to deny access to the base without possession of the ball.

Game personnel to be in dead-ball territory.

Illegally extending dugouts

Players leaving dugout during live ball.

Coaching Professionalism

Good sporting behavior.

Proper interaction with officials

Attending pregame conference

Ethical behavior

Controlling their dugout

Umpire Professionalism

Good sporting Behavior

Batters hit by a pitch

Prohibition on moving into the pitch

Sticking out an elbow or knee so that batter is hit

Batter must make an attempt to avoid the pitch when possible

Thats a great question. Best way for me to answer that is how I would call it. If it is a sub varsity contest I would warn and try to teach which I have already done this year. Most coaches really like that we help them teach the kids the proper way. Varsity ball.. just depends on the level of play by the two teams if a warning is justified or call a balk. There are ways to warn without anyone even knowing like telling a coach in between innings. Whatever you do you have to be fair to both sides. The teams that are going to be vying for playoff spots, are not going to get a warning in district games. This is how I do it and I cannot speak for any other umpire how they would handle it. Sometimes it just boils down to what I would consider common sense. Now what I think is common and what someone else thinks........ Thats what makes us human.

Mr Ump

Do you have any problem with how touchy some of the balk rules have become?  Clearly, the rule is designed to keep pitchers from deceiving runners.  Many balk calls seem to be technical in nature, but have no practical effect on the game.  Any thoughts on this?

thanks Mr. Ump.  I can see the situations you have talked about, especially at the sub varsity level...

My expereince is pretty much Little League, where strike zone was as much teaching as anything else.  I always expalined my strike zone to the coaches beforehand, and usually had no problems...

If I called someone out or awarded a base based on obstruction or interference, I would usually call out the reason. and explain the rule, loud enough for parents to hear...

Nothing compared to the dealings you guys have...but interesting none the less...

So basicly no change, hasn't really been a change since the comming to 'set' in the stretch, this IMO gets overlooked. No warnings should be issued in any Varsity contest after scrimages. Its not the umpires job to intsruct, just inforce the rules inplace. 

So basicly no change, hasn't really been a change since the comming to 'set' in the stretch, this IMO gets overlooked. No warnings should be issued in any Varsity contest after scrimages. Its not the umpires job to intsruct, just inforce the rules inplace. 

Mr Ump

Do you have any problem with how touchy some of the balk rules have become?  Clearly, the rule is designed to keep pitchers from deceiving runners.  Many balk calls seem to be technical in nature, but have no practical effect on the game.   Any thoughts on this?

643 .... You have to look at the situation. You can not say "any varsity contest". Maybe I used the wrong word when I said instruct. What I meant by that is I may tell the coach what the pitcher is doing so he can coach him to do it properly.

As far as touchy balk calls.. The reason these balk rules are in the book is because at some point in time in baseball history, someone used these moves to deceive or gain an unfair advantage. It is not the Umpires job to try and read the mind of a player to know if he did something on purpose. Intentional or not rules are rules and believe me there are some very good actors out there. Umpiring is judgement, some have better than others and some fans have better than others. One thing I can say for me.. as a former player and coach, I see the game full circle as an Umpire because I have seen it from all sides.

With all due respect, I must be missing your point somewhat on "reading a players mind" the Balk Rule is pretty simple on 'decieving batter or runner'. I do agree on telling the coach BUT it would be after the Balk was called, as pitching should be nothing new to a Varsity player in a Varsity game. I to am a ex in both and a son of a 30+ yr ump and honorary lifetime member in your org., so I too have seen the game as you have, but if I were a varsity coach in a varsity game and a umpire warned the opposing pitcher I would be asking for time.  BTW would your initials be DS 

affirmative on the initials.  In a Varsity contest I would not warn, only in a subvarsity and only if it was technical.  The only time I may warn at a Varsity contest if it is a situation in a blow out game or a game late in the year where you have someone pitching that is not a normal pitcher. This week everybody is 0-0 going into district play. Everyone is in 1st place. There will be no warnings. I was thinking maybe you thought I was soft on the balk rule... wrong..... sometimes you just have to look at the big picture. Score is 15-0 5th innning does a technical balk need to be called ???? You make the call....

Hmmm I gues we know who each other is now and your last reply IS what I was looking for in a answer. Concerning the situtation in your ?? :) I would call the game!! On another note, shouldn't your sig read "when in dought ask for help ;D, I know you will agree with mine. See ya around D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder