Who will Silsbee play and when?

Guest ST4life

The only other time I can recall that the Silsbee boys played at the state championship tourney in Austin was back during the '72/'73 season.   The team was led by 6'8" David Brown, and by 6'3" forward/guard James Hunter.  Hunter went on the make it to the nfl, but that's another story.   Don't ask me how I know all this stuff.   

Guest tigersvoice

The only other time I can recall that the Silsbee boys played at the state championship tourney in Austin was back during the '72/'73 season.   The team was led by 6'8" David Brown, and by 6'3" forward/guard James Hunter.  Hunter went on the make it to the nfl, but that's another story.   Don't ask me how I know all this stuff.   

How do you know all this stuff?

Showing my age.

I was around to see it.  I went to the game. 

Showing my age.

That was 71/72

The 1976 team with David Brown's younger brother Anthony, Artie Shankle, Larry Taylor and others went to the state tourney, as well as the 1983 team with Delton Harper and Darrell McArthur.

Showing my age.

That was 71/72

The 1976 team with David Brown's younger brother Anthony, Artie Shankle, Larry Taylor and others went to the state tourney, as well as the 1983 team with Delton Harper and Darrell McArthur.

Not totally sure but I believe Silsbee went undefeated all the way to the title game in '92 and lost.  I could be wrong might be '91 or '93?

Showing my age.

That was 71/72

Not totally sure but I believe Silsbee went undefeated all the way to the title game in '92 and lost.  I could be wrong might be '91 or '93?

1997 they went undefeated and were ranked #1.  Lost their first playoff game to Tyler Chappell Hill, who came in 2nd or 3rd in their district.

That's why I said 'as I recall'.   I saw the '76 team in the playoffs that year.  I knew Artie Shankle; used to play sandlot football and 3 on 3 b-ball with him.   I've heard a lot about Darrell MacArthur and those teams, and the teams with now coach David Green.  They may have played on the same team.   I left Silsbee shortly after school for the military and haven't really kept up that well since.  

I have followed them in the papers and on the 'net over the years.  Occasionally I have shown up at a playoff game.  

I don't recall a team in the '90s going undefeated and making it to the championship game.  There was a Tiger team in the mid 90s that was ranked #1 in the polls all year and then lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.  that may be the team you are referring to.   that team had a 6'6" Arline in the post, and this sharp shooting guard, who eventually played for Univ of Tennessee.   I can't recall his name.  I grew up knowing his mom and dad.  

Didn't the Tigers go in the mid 80's with Darrel MacArthur...

Ferel Artis,Lloyd Mcarthur,Michael McCain,Delton Harper,Wade Robinson, Daryl McArthur,Anthony Lang,Nathan Scott, sorry cant remember the rest of this team but they lost in the semis I believe to Borger by about 5.

Ferel Artis,Lloyd Mcarthur,Michael McCain,Delton Harper,Wade Robinson, Daryl McArthur,Anthony Lang,Nathan Scott, sorry cant remember the rest of this team but they lost in the semis I believe to Borger by about 5.

Anthony " Papa " Lang did not play on this team. He graduated in '82, with me. He was a good friend of mine until he was killed in '85, sad to say. :'(

Just got off the phone with coach, he said he will get the call at 8:30 in the morning on who his opponent will be.  The bus ride home is quiet as the kids are exhausted from the past two games.  It has been 25 years since Silsbee last went to Austin.

Kevin Dodd was also on that team

Wade Richardson

That's why I said 'as I recall'.   I saw the '76 team in the playoffs that year.  I knew Artie Shankle; used to play sandlot football and 3 on 3 b-ball with him.   I've heard a lot about Darrell MacArthur and those teams, and the teams with now coach David Green.  They may have played on the same team.   I left Silsbee shortly after school for the military and haven't really kept up that well since.  

I have followed them in the papers and on the 'net over the years.  Occasionally I have shown up at a playoff game.  

I don't recall a team in the '90s going undefeated and making it to the championship game.  There was a Tiger team in the mid 90s that was ranked #1 in the polls all year and then lost in the 1st round of the playoffs.  that may be the team you are referring to.   that team had a 6'6" Arline in the post, and this sharp shooting guard, who eventually played for Univ of Tennessee.   I can't recall his name.  I grew up knowing his mom and dad.  

You're referring to Thaddeus "T" Holden... I also think he had a very short stint at Lamar if i'm not mistaken

Eric Wilson and Carlton Green ( David's younger brother was on that team, Darrell McArthur was an underclassman. His brothers, Lloyd and Terrell were the guards along with Artis, in '83 to go with Richardson, Scott, Harper, Dodd, etc. Darrell's reign was a year or two later.

Eric Wilson and Carlton Green ( David's younger brother was on that team, Darrell McArthur was an underclassman. His brothers, Lloyd and Terrell were the guards along with Artis, in '83 to go with Richardson, Scott, Harper, Dodd, etc. Darrell's reign was a year or two later.

If I am not mistaken Derrell McArthur was a Freshman that started the whole year for the Tigers

Yes he was a freshman and unfortunately he never made it back to Austin as Lincoln had Anthony  Allen who played at Georgetown and Bay City had LaBradford Smith who went on to play for Louisville.  It seems that each year during that timeframe 2 of these three would play for the regional championship.

Guest tigersvoice

The State Tournament brackets are already laid out.  Silsbee (Region III winner) plays the Region I winner.  That game is between Brownfield and Burkburnett.  It was scheduled to start at 8:30 because it is being played at the Texas Tech facility.  Should find a final soon although I can't find the final of the Region IV game that was played around mid-day on Saturday.

Guest tigersvoice

The Silsbee bracket extension has just been posted by the UIL.  Silsbee plays Burkburnett who beat Brownfield in their regional finals by a score of 84 - 66.  I suspect that this game will be at 2 PM on Thursday, March 6.  The other 3-A game follows at 3:30.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder