**OF vs. LC-M/LC-M WINS**

KFDM COOP

Bears use defense to stifle Orangefield

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The baskets definitely seemed to have lids on it Monday night at Bobcat Gym, but it was the defensive effort by the Little Cypress-Mauriceville that aided the Bears in a 48-36 non-district victory against Orangefield.

The Bears (10-3) limited the Bobcats (8-4) to just four field goals in the first half as they cruised to a 21-10 halftime lead.

Bear senior forward Dallas Bean, who poured in a game-high 20 points and snared a game-high 10 rebounds, equaled the Bobcats’ first-half total with 10 points of his own.

LC-M did a superb job in holding down Orangefield’s top scorers on the season in sophomore Zach Hayes and senior Jeremy Granger. Hayes, averaging over 16 points a game, tallied just eight points while Granger was held to just one bucket.

Orangefield found some scoring punch in the second half but were still outscored by the Bears 27-26.

In the first quarter, both teams were sluggish. LC-M’s Matt Mott got loose by converting a couple steals into layups to get the Bears going.

The Bears led just 9-3 after one period of play. Orangefield sophomore Derrick Evans, who led the way for his squad with 10 points, hit a running shot along the right baseline to give the Bobcats their first field goal with a little more than a minute left in the quarter.

Bean controlled the action inside in the second period, scoring seven points and grabbing five of his rebounds as the Bears won the quarter 12-7 to go up by 11 at the half.

LC-M’s biggest lead came at 46-30 late in the fourth quarter. The Bobcats received three-pointers by Tyler Angelle and Jared Helton to trim things late.

Kevin Cooper tallied seven points and grabbed eight rebounds for the Bears as LC-M finished with a 30-22 rebounding edge while Ben Pousson added five points.

Granger paced the Bobcats with seven rebounds.

Orangefield committed 13 turnovers while the Bears had 10. LC-M finished 11-of-20 from the free-throw line while the Bobcats shot 4-of-11.

The Bears will open District 22-4A action at home in the Bear Cave Friday night when Beaumont Ozen, state runnerups last season and ranked No. 4 this season, comes to visit. The Bears also host Dayton next Tuesday.

The Bobcats will visit Sabine Pass in a non-0district tilt Friday before opening District 21-3A action at home next Tuesday against the Kirbyville Wildcats.

I think we expected to just come out and win this game with ease, that was not smart.  I'm praying for a comeback, but I don't think its gonna happen.  To many turnovers.  They shut Hayes down tonight, and no one decided to step up. 

That seems a bit crazy if you actually believed that Orangefield was the better team coming in to this game. To beat LCM with ease is definetly a crazy comment. Sorry , Orangefield may be getting better but yall are still not on the level of LCM.

That seems a bit crazy if you actually believed that Orangefield was the better team coming in to this game. To beat LCM with ease is definetly a crazy comment. Sorry , Orangefield may be getting better but yall are still not on the level of LCM.

Agreed.

Defensively LCM put pressure on the bobcats all night.  Orangefield never looked comfortable and didn't ever get into any kind of offensive flow.

Thats just how they looked last night, I figured it would be a close game considering Silsbee only beat us by one I thought we'd use that momentum I was wrong.  We couldn't buy a basket.  LCM is very good I look for them to take second in their district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed