Nederland ISD bond

Bigdog

Yep, I think the addition of a new CO Wilson will give it the push it needs to pass.  It was shaky before with the first proposals.

I think they're smart for only pushing for a new press box and turf at the existing stadium. With all the rising prices of materials I doubt the people of Nederland would have passed a bond with a entire new stadium on it. With the all the crying we hear about the upgrades to Indian Stadium right now I'm surprised ours passed. 

That's just my opinion and good luck, I hope it passes.

Yep, I think the addition of a new CO Wilson will give it the push it needs to pass.  It was shaky before with the first proposals.

I think they're smart for only pushing for a new press box and turf at the existing stadium. With all the rising prices of materials I doubt the people of Nederland would have passed a bond with a entire new stadium on it. With the all the crying we hear about the upgrades to Indian Stadium right now I'm surprised ours passed. 

With a new Reservation right across the tracks, I wouldn't be at all surprised that... somehow...someway... a new Pound will be built in the very near future. ::)

Yeah, they did it right by building schools first.  That will make it easier to come back in a few years and build a whole new stadium.  Although some people are not happy about Langham being closed, myself included, i understand that the 80 year old school is not cost effective to keep open.

Here's a new article in the Mid County Chronicle:

Nederland Independent School District

A look at the NISD to-do list

By GREG HAYES

July, 30, 2008

NEDERLAND - Just driving by any of the Nederland school district's campuses, it may seem that the buildings are in decent shape and not appear to need the $126,087,200 trustees here have put on the November ballot.

Inside the schools, officials point to a myriad of problems Just talk to Ronnie Trahan, director of maintenance and transportation.

He has to deal with keeping the campuses operational everyday.

"If the bond doesn't pass, we'll just have to sit down and take a look at what is most needed, looking at requirements of the law and the safety issues," he said. "But we only get $300,000 budgeted to the department for projects. The other $300,000 is budgeted for preventative maintenance such as inspection on all campuses of elevators, alarms, sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, orchestra pits and things like that."

C.O. Wilson Middle School

And $300,000 might be good enough to make a dent in some areas of the district, but it cannot solve all the problems for even one school, such as C.O. Wilson Middle School.

"If we replaced all the windows, put in central air and heat, a new gymatorium and new classrooms at the older girls' facility, as it is not a full gym, you would be looking at about $20 million dollars," Trahan said. "A whole new school would only cost about $32 million. You'd be paying almost a full cost of a new school to have repairs."

But with only $300,000 for projects, that many repairs could not take place at C.O. Wilson as it is. But Trahan knows one thing at the middle school that has to go ⦠the windows.

"The school has all metal casing windows and they won't open," he said.

One of the reasons for them not opening is because some of them have had to be screwed shut because they will no longer lock, Trahan said.

"We couldn't screw them all shut in case there was a fire and the kids had to get out," he said. "They also leak and we've had to caulk them quite a bit for that reason."

Under the proposed bond plan, new $32.8 million C.O. Wilson would be rebuilt.

Langham Elementary

At Langham Elementary, some of the problems are small bathrooms, classrooms open to the hallways and sagging floors, Trahan said.

"The annex building with ten rooms just needs to be torn down," he said. "The classrooms are open to the hallways and anyone could just walk in the way that it is set up. That is a real safety issue."

The bathrooms, though set up for small children, are too small and are not built to code, Trahan said. "You can't enlarge them toward the classroom because that would take up classroom space. And you can't enlarge them toward the hallway because that would take up hallway space."

A ramp for those with disabilities is set up to the annex building, but the door is not made for a wheelchair to get through it, as there is still a small step up.

In the original building at Langham, built in 1939, some of the wooden floors are sagging because the building is up on piers, Trahan said.

"We need to have a look at the piers or floor joists," he said. "Some of it could be rotting. We also had to screw some of the floor back down because it was buckling. And if we have to replace the flooring it gets expensive trying to get wood that will match the existing floor."

If the proposed bond issue passes, three new elementary schools would be built at Helena Park, Hillcrest and Highland Park elementary for a little more $33.1 million. The fate of Langham hasn't been decided.

Bulldog Stadium

Langham is not the only facility to experience rotting and sagging wood floors, however, as the same problem is taking place in the press box at Bulldog Stadium, constructed in the 1940s.

"To fix the press box would take gutting it out ⦠walls, floors, everything and just start from scratch," Trahan said. "But once you start taking down walls and taking up floors the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) requires that you put in an elevator. In the past we have painted it and patched it up the best that we could. I don't even come up here during the games."

Trahan said that the covered roof area feels unstable, as though it is moving, yet during games as many as 10 to 12 people stand on it, some for game filming and some on the coaching staff.

The floor area behind the seating area has rotting wood that already has a hole starting to wear through. There are also no bathroom facilities in the press box, so anyone needing to use a restroom must go down to the lower level via the bleacher steps. Possible wood rotting is also the concern for the coaches' box on the visitor's side of the stadium.

"The best thing would be to tear both down," Trahan said.

Under the bond plan, the press box would be torn down and a news $1.7 million one built to accommodate more people and comply with ADA.

Nederland High School

At Nederland High School, Trahan said that the library is still open to the hallway, as there is only a half wall separating them.

"The library really needs to be reorganized and walls built completely up to eliminate the hallway noise," Trahan said. "Also the main switch gear for the entire school is obsolete."

Trahan said that the chilling units for the high school are also out of date.

"If one of those chillers goes out, it would cost around $300,000 to replace," he said. $300,000 would take up the entire projects budget given maintenance for the district for an entire year. "We can band-aid them, but that is about it."

But at least the maintenance department does not have to worry about potential breakdowns to heating and cooling systems anywhere else in the district, Trahan said.

"Besides the high school, every campus is operating with window units and heat pumps," he said. "Not very cost efficient."

Under the bond plan, the library would be enclosed and other renovations and upgrades, including air conditioning and heating systems, electrical and other technology upgrades, made throughout the building. About $24.5 million of the proposed bond is slated for the high school.

For or Against

Jerry Albanese, a local business owner on Nederland Avenue, said that he supports the bond not only for the school improvements.

"If our schools are not improved, our property values and business values will go down," he said. "Nobody wants to move to this area and send their kids to a school district with these type problems."

Nicky Matt, who served on one of the early walk-through committees, said that people against the bond need to realize that times have changed.

"I went to school here," he said. "But I can't say that these kids need to sit in classrooms with poor air-conditioning just because I did. Our teachers need to have the best place possible to teach these kids.

"The committee saw that we have an issue and that we need to do something fast."

In the Beaumont Enterprise archives, a letter to the editor from Nederland resident Charles Vaughn, on June 30, voiced an opposing view to the bond issue.

"They wish to sell us higher taxes and unnecessary building programs," Vaughn said in the letter. "Taxpayers have shown that they are willing to approve bond issues when warranted, as we did several years ago. However, the elementary schools that the board wants to bulldoze are perfectly adequate with periodic repairs and renovations."

In the letter, Vaughn went on to say that those below the age of 65, who cannot have their school taxes frozen, will have to deal with the weight of this bond for years to come.

"Do you like paying unnecessary taxes? I don't," he said. "Can you afford it at a time when fuel and food prices are going through the roof? I can't."

Matt said that money-wise, he is in the same boat ⦠but that is not the point. The point is better facilities for the teachers to utilize.

"I don't even have kids in the school district anymore," Matt said. "All that passing the bond will do is cost me more money. But I'm all in."

My parents are both in their 70's and they still pay property taxes....county, school, drainage district, etc.  I don't know where or why it started that people on a fixed income and/or retired or over a certain age don't pay property taxes.  My parents just paid their tax bill...over 3000.00.  Ridiculous!

If you are over 65 you get exemptions. I doubt that does away with the person paying taxes. My taxes were over 4,000 this year but I am under 65 by about 30+ years.

Dang kid must have a pretty good size with taxes like that. Is that your skewl taxes? ???

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gladiator2

That seems to be a pretty big increase especially if your house is over $200,000 and a lot of houses keep getting their value raised by Jefferson County. So your looking at about another $1000 a year on a $200,000 home and a lot people are only worried about a new football stadium to be able to outdo their neighbor's across the tracks. Seems kind of rediculous, especially whenever you go to Nederland and look at houses and the values are too high for what you are getting. Taxes are already high there,too. But it's up to each person if they really want to pay more taxes on over inflated homes. If you are thinking about the schools and not a football stadium than it would be for the right reasons.

That seems to be a pretty big increase especially if your house is over $200,000 and a lot of houses keep getting their value raised by Jefferson County. So your looking at about another $1000 a year on a $200,000 home and a lot people are only worried about a new football stadium to be able to outdo their neighbor's across the tracks. Seems kind of rediculous, especially whenever you go to Nederland and look at houses and the values are too high for what you are getting. Taxes are already high there,too. But it's up to each person if they really want to pay more taxes on over inflated homes. If you are thinking about the schools and not a football stadium than it would be for the right reasons.

You need to read up about the bond.  Very little of the money is going to the stadium.  They want to build three new schools and do major upgrades on the others. Thats where all the money is going.

You need to read up about the bond.  Very little of the money is going to the stadium.  They want to build three new schools and do major upgrades on the others. Thats where all the money is going.

No kidding. If the new press box and turf costs $2,000,000, that is 1.5% of the bond money. Assuming that games24x7 is correct and a person has a $1,000 a year increase in taxes, the comes out to $15 a year for the football upgrades or $1.25 per month extra. If you want to break it down further, it is a little over 25¢ per week. If a guy can live in a $200,000 home, I believe that he can afford a quarter a week in extra taxes. The education part of the bond comes out to almost $20 per week. Let's see.... 25¢ for football compared to $20 for education.

But let's go way out on a limb and say the turf and press box are $4 million. That brings the extra cost up to $2.50 per month on that big home or an unbelievable 57¢ per week.

I think games24x7 is just against the bond and is trying to figure out a way to justify its defeat. Great. Go for it and let democracy rule. Let's just try to stick with some facts along the way and not try to make it look like education is being traded in for the sake of sports. That $1,000 extra per year would "only" be $985 if not for the stadium upgrades.

So games24x7, pry open that wallet and spring for the extra $1.25 a month, it won't break your budget.

::)

No kidding. If the new press box and turf costs $2,000,000, that is 1.5% of the bond money. Assuming that games24x7 is correct and a person has a $1,000 a year increase in taxes, the comes out to $15 a year for the football upgrades or $1.25 per month extra. If you want to break it down further, it is a little over 25¢ per week. If a guy can live in a $200,000 home, I believe that he can afford a quarter a week in extra taxes. The education part of the bond comes out to almost $20 per week. Let's see.... 25¢ for football compared to $20 for education.

But let's go way out on a limb and say the turf and press box are $4 million. That brings the extra cost up to $2.50 per month on that big home or an unbelievable 57¢ per week.

I think games24x7 is just against the bond and is trying to figure out a way to justify its defeat. Great. Go for it and let democracy rule. Let's just try to stick with some facts along the way and not try to make it look like education is being traded in for the sake of sports. That $1,000 extra per year would "only" be $985 if not for the stadium upgrades.

So games24x7, pry open that wallet and spring for the extra $1.25 a month, it won't break your budget.

::)

If the football field is only .25¢ a week, can we find .05¢ a week for the baseball field instead of waiting till 2020 ? Heck, I might not make it till then.

What's wrong with the baseball field?  Didn't it get MAJOR upgrades after Rita (new press box, new stands with a very nice "roof", new brick backstop, new fence, new batting cages).  Now, would I support even more upgrades to the field itself, sure I would.  I would even be in favor of giving the coach a raise!

What's wrong with the baseball field?  Didn't it get MAJOR upgrades after Rita (new press box, new stands with a very nice "roof", new brick backstop, new fence, new batting cages).  Now, would I support even more upgrades to the field itself, sure I would.  I would even be in favor of giving the coach a raise!

I'm with ya, field and coaches raise for a nickle a week, what a bargain.

Guest gladiator2

So your saying that only $13 a year out of over $1000 in taxes is all that would be going towards the football field. Get real!! Either you are way off with your math or maybe you need a little help with it. If you want a new football stadium that bad and believe that it is only going to cost $13 a month. I hope you are not on the board in the NISD because they would have some serious problems.

So your saying that only $13 a year out of over $1000 in taxes is all that would be going towards the football field. Get real!! Either you are way off with your math or maybe you need a little help with it. If you want a new football stadium that bad and believe that it is only going to cost $13 a month. I hope you are not on the board in the NISD because they would have some serious problems.

No, I said $15 a year (I rounded it off, there is actually an additional 87¢ for a total of $15.87 per year) if the turf and press box were $2,000,000. Remember, the bond is for $126 million. Take away the football stadium and it drops the bond issue down to a mere $124 million right? I don't know how much the football stadium upgrades are going to cost but it really doesn't matter if you are looking at taxes.

Sorry games but break out your pad and pencil or just use the calculator on your computer. Either you failed math or you are just making up stuff for the sake of argument.

Nederland really needs to pass a bond for the far future....

Dayton failed to pass a bond in the mid 90's and the one that eventually passed was smaller.  The resulting high school is already overcrowded.

If the original bond would have been passed, the highschool would still be able to handle the number of students.

It is just hard to get people on fixed incomes to vote to raise their taxes which is really money out of their pockets that they won't get back.

GOOD LUCK NEDERLAND!!!!

Think of the kids now and the future kids when you vote.

You are investing in the future with a yes vote.

The dayton bond failed to pass in the 90's, mainly because of a $800,000 Bus Barn attached to it. I didn't see the need for that, and i like many voted NO

I'd like to see NISD have two separate bond proposals.  One for the schools and another one for the football stadium.  From reading this and other similar links, it looks like a lot of people in Nederland are going to vote to spend a lot of money building new schools when all they really want is a new football stadium.

That's exactly my point.  The good folks of Nederland should not have to consider the need for new/renovated classroom facilities and the desire for a new football stadium all in the same bond election.  Why lump it in all into one?  If they need new schools, let them vote to build new schools.  Then, regardless of the outcome of the "educational" bond election -if they want a new football stadium, let them vote in separate bond election for that.  Attaching pork barrel spending to a legitimate bill is how our federal government operates and we all know how well the feds handle money. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder