2024 Newton Eagles football.

2 hours ago, Setx fan said:

Yea , I'm surprised. I figured he'd make a good D1 QB. Never would have guessed he'd have 2 power 5 offers before the end of his freshman year though. Can't wait to see him in action this upcoming season 

No, it was the Newton Running back.

12 minutes ago, longball24 said:

Yes he was.

He is definitely a good looking player and I have no doubt that he is going to be a good QB in the future, but I find it shocking that he has those offers. I would expect a D1/P4 player to dominate 3A JV competition and he did not (at least to the level of that caliber of recruit).  

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

He is definitely a good looking player and I have no doubt that he is going to be a good QB in the future, but I find it shocking that he has those offers. I would expect a D1/P4 player to dominate 3A JV competition and he did not (at least to the level of that caliber of recruit).  

He's steadily improving rapidly. Not that your opinion matters much based on some of the wild projections you've made on this site 

1 hour ago, Setx fan said:

He's steadily improving rapidly. Not that your opinion matters much based on some of the wild projections you've made on this site 

*** Clearly those D1 colleges see it different. Their opinions are the ones that count. 

It's a durn good thing our assessments don't matter.   This kind of reminds me of a kid from Dayton a few years ago.  He started on D, but was not somebody who stood out on film.  He was too skinny they said, not physical enough.  Didn't lead the team in tackles, wasn't the "play-maker" in the coaches or community eyes.  However, an SEC school offered him a full-ride.  Like, how does that happen?  I've been around this game for close to 4o years and that was a first for me.  I think the kid ended up transferring to get more Playing time, but nevertheless, what do college recruiters/coaches see that highschool coaches / the critics and community sometimes do not?

1 hour ago, LIBERTY82 said:

It's a durn good thing our assessments don't matter.   ..., what do college recruiters/coaches see that highschool coaches / the critics and community sometimes do not?

Some coaches "fall in love" with one kid while another one who might be as just good or even better gets little recognition. There are a lot of ways this can happen. A "legacy" kid with preferred last name, or a coaches/principals/school board/friends kid, or simply just a personality preference. I think this can be especially glaring in small school ball, but it can happen anywhere. College scouts don't care a bit about last names, etc. That, and they are just better talent evaluators overall than HS coaches and fans.      

47 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Some coaches "fall in love" with one kid while another one who might be as just good or even better gets little recognition. There are a lot of ways this can happen. A "legacy" kid with preferred last name, or a coaches/principals/school board/friends kid, or simply just a personality preference. I think this can be especially glaring in small school ball, but it can happen anywhere. College scouts don't care a bit about last names, etc. That, and they are just better talent evaluators overall than HS coaches and fans.      

Newton has had several kids with D1 offers  that never made it to college because of their grades which the colleges now look at more closely. The Woodville kid is straight A’s. Is this kid originally from Brazil? 

29 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Newton has had several kids with D1 offers  that never made it to college because of their grades which the colleges now look at more closely. The Woodville kid is straight A’s. Is this kid originally from Brazil? 

He's from Woodville. His mother might be from Brazil. I believe his dad played qb for Woodville in the 90s