Nick Saban retiring

2 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

Sounds like DeBoer is the favorite now

Supposedly the Nike money tied to Lanning is crazy.  To be honest, I’m not sure DeBoer wouldn’t be my first choice after Kirby of ANY coaches in college football (including Harbaugh).  104-12 record as a head coach is insane, at any collegiate level.  Imagine with Alabama’s resources and pedigree…

49 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Supposedly the Nike money tied to Lanning is crazy.  To be honest, I’m not sure DeBoer wouldn’t be my first choice after Kirby of ANY coaches in college football (including Harbaugh).  104-12 record as a head coach is insane, at any collegiate level.  Imagine with Alabama’s resources and pedigree…

If Lanning is really out of the race (I'm still skeptical), I like the idea of a DeBoer hire, provided he finds a better defense than what he fields at Washington.

There have been whispers of Glenn Schumann for the HC job. I find that prospect intriguing, but he's not my first choice. I think Schumann would make an outstanding DC under DeBoer. I would also be very comfortable with Scott Cochran in that role.

FYI, Saban will still have an office in Bryant-Denny. He made clear to all involved today that he wants to help the next coach succeed and keep the program at the pinnacle of the sport. Milroe is signaling business as usual.

If it turns out to be Schumann, I’m a lot more comfortable with it under these circumstances.

2 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

FYI, Saban will still have an office in Bryant-Denny. He made clear to all involved today that he wants to help the next coach succeed and keep the program at the pinnacle of the sport. Milroe is signaling business as usual.

If it turns out to be Schumann, I’m a lot more comfortable with it under these circumstances.

I don’t necessarily hate that hire for Bama either.  Defense wins championships and he’s spent his entire coaching career under the greatest defensive mind (Saban) and second greatest defensive mind (Smart) in CFB.  Crazy to think someone that young could get that job.  But could be a genius hire.  If not, shouldn’t take a lot od money to get out of it.  

DeBoer has certainly proven that he is one of the best coaches in the country and it's a good move for both parties. 

What's next for UW? I lived in Seattle for a big chunk of my adult life and I've followed the program for a long time. The cupboard of top-flight coaches is pretty light. They might have to think outside the box, which is weird considering that they played for the natty just four days ago...

7 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

DeBoer has certainly proven that he is one of the best coaches in the country and it's a good move for both parties. 

What's next for UW? I lived in Seattle for a big chunk of my adult life and I've followed the program for a long time. The cupboard of top-flight coaches is pretty light. They might have to think outside the box, which is weird considering that they played for the natty just four days ago...

Pete is available short term unless they can make a splash hire 🤷🏾‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Got a bit of family in Gig Harbor so I’ve always followed since I was a kid in the Don James days.  DeBoer was kinda an outside the box hires.  He had always had success but not long at the D1 level.  The huskies seem to have a solid AD.  

On 1/12/2024 at 3:54 PM, TxHoops said:

Got a bit of family in Gig Harbor so I’ve always followed since I was a kid in the Don James days.  DeBoer was kinda an outside the box hires.  He had always had success but not long at the D1 level.  The huskies seem to have a solid AD.  

That's cool. I've followed UW since I moved up there in the mid 90s. They have all kinds of money up there to lure in just about anyone and they're moving fast. There could be an announcement as early as tomorrow. My money's on Leipold from Kansas. Most of the experienced players on the roster a week ago are either headed to the draft or in the portal. Bowl eligibility will be a lofty goal next season.

20 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

It was written before DeBoer was hired.

Most Alabama fans think Bond will come back to play for DeBoer and Grubb. A WR would have to be crazy not to.

I didn’t look at it that way. I’m trying to show how players who may have gone to Bama to play for Saban will have a change of heart and come to Texas. Or, in this case, players leaving Bama for Texas. You could be right and he could change his mind again. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit. Playing WR for Texas isn’t shabby or he wouldn’t even visit.

56 minutes ago, baddog said:

I didn’t look at it that way. I’m trying to show how players who may have gone to Bama to play for Saban will have a change of heart and come to Texas. Or, in this case, players leaving Bama for Texas. You could be right and he could change his mind again. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit. Playing WR for Texas isn’t shabby or he wouldn’t even visit.

I understand your point. Frankly, what is surprising to me in this situation is how few Alabama players have entered the transfer portal since the retirement meeting. Byrne asked the team for 72 hours, and all but a handful have given him that. Bond is the only high profile player to enter the transfer portal during that window. On the other hand, Milroe has publicly announced he’s staying. Saban is sticking around the program specifically to keep these guys invested, and it seems to be working pretty well so far.